Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four Sharply Changed Narratives About The Dolphins Season

alot of stuff there, but l i guess i missed the part where you also said was tua was disappointing and didn't hold up his side of the bargain at the end. apparently it was everybody's fault but his. of course, when things were good he got all the credit!

So, when Tua does well he shouldn't get credit?
Do you know if water is wet? - LOL

Spk Engrish?

-Fangio. He definitely doesn’t suck. I think it would have been better to have him back for more stability, but it clearly didn’t’ work out for him, and might not have been the best fit for us for a variety of reasons. I wouldn’t call any of our defensive players soft. I do think some of them might have wanted a more collaborative approach which may have yielded better results, or not, but I don’t think being soft had anything to do with it. Cameron Smith. Never saw the field. He looked good by all reports in camp and preseason, why not give him some snaps? Eli Apple and others were getting torched, why not throw him in there? Now the FO has no idea what we have with him, a second round draft pick. Do we need to draft another corner? That’s frustrating, and couldn’t have pleased the Front Office. It doesn’t mean he was a bad coach, it just means he may not have been as collaborative in certain areas as would have been appreciated? Is a very good D coordinator though, and I hope they pick a good one to replace him. there is still a fair amount of talent on the Defense when everyone is healthy. Secondary needs to be retooled a bit, but front 7 is strong. Wilkins may have to be replaced depending upon what they do there, but there’s a lot to work with.

-Offensive line. Performed better than many of us thought. Doesn’t mean it was good enough. We need more power in between the tackles to run the football in December and January with power. That’s the bottom line, when teams give us that two and sometimes even 3 high look a lovely counter to that would be power running game to compliment the zone read misdirection scheme we also have. Of course the other half of that equation is McDaniel having confidence in that part of the game and calling plays accordingly situationally, but yeah, the Oline is the highest priority to address in the off season, otherwise we will never get anywhere against good teams/defenses in the playoffs.

-McDaniel. Has a lot of good qualities as a coach, and even has flashes of brilliance. However, the following are things he needs to work on that have cost us games:

1. Short yardage play calling. There were a number of games when running plays were working well, and in critical situations such as 3rd down, 4th down when going for it, and short yardage red zone he called passing plays when in 80% of those situations he should’ve called running plays. He needs to figure this out.

2. Play operation. When on the road, with crowd noise he needs to have a simplified version of his offense, a different package that is easier to get plays in on time. If he doesn’t work this out the following will continue when on the road:

-Illegal motion penalties
-Delay of game penalties
-Timeouts being burned
-communication issues that cause the offense to be out of synch

He needs to re-architect his offense to account for environment and situations, and I think he needs to develop a quick attack no huddle package for Tua and the running game/passing game to take back initiative when things are stalling.

3. 2nd half adjustments. He’s proven to be horrible at this. Making adjustments to account for what the defense has been doing to counter it. See point number 2 as these two things are probably related. Sometimes we keep trying to force the ball to Reek and Waddle when they are taken away, especially Reek. Some of this is on Tua, but if you watch the all 22 you will see that in the Chiefs game for example, the play design was such that there were no quick dump off or check down releases for Tua that were easily available based on what the Chiefs were doing defensively. That’ is on McDaniel.

4. Not taking the field goal in the first quarter. Way too cute by half here. This actually cost us one game and almost cost us another.

5. Abandoning the running game when it is working well. This is unexplainable.

These are all things he needs to improve upon and are fair criticisms.

Offensive weapons. Definitely we have more than we have in years. We could use a big bodied receiver 6’3 or taller who can block but who can also run good routes and threaten the seams and be a big target in the red zone, but we definitely have some really good offensive weapons which is why I think the FO needs to reprioritzie the Offensive line this off-season. But if they can find a good and more complete tight end,. Or A receiver who is what Claypool was supposed to be, then that would be a big addition. Maybe Ezukama can come back, stay healthy, and be that guy? Would it be possible to sign Derick Henry to a reasonable deal so that he doesn’t end up running all over us playing for the Ravens next year?
So, "sucks" means not perfect.
That "sucks". - LOL

your point "when you do have a qb like Tua who is admittedly limited. He can make the plays when it’s there but expecting extra when they aren’t and COUNTING on it is just a completely idiotic gameplan" - so why would you pay up for a QB that can make the play when it is there but is limited otherwise? sounds like how one would describe a backup QB. these were your words, not mine. also nowhere did i say tua sucks (and then you had to go with the tua hater rhetoric too), you were the one who ripped the entire organization, and left tua off the list completely

It's not just what you say, it's how you say it.
Spk Engrish?

Ummm. Yeah. That was my point. Kohou wasnt getting smoked left and right last season. He wasn’t great on the boundary, but he was pretty solid otherwise. This season, the way he was employed was a disaster.

And we’ll see on Cam Smith. Talk to me next season. Also, let’s see if we’re relying on Eli Apple in 2024.

How does that support your favorable attitude for Fangio?

I think you have to slow down with your criticism a bit. Kohou is a good player who has had initial success. However this year, he was consistently in a position to be covering the #1 or #2 for whoever we were playing as teams rotated away from Ramsey. Our inability to adapt and prevent that exposed Kohou at times. Conversely, we have also had situations where Ramsey, our best cover corner had nobody to cover on his side of the field.

I'm certainly not one of those that thinks Fangio isn't a good DC.....but you really miss the entire point with your post. It is very possible that Kohou is good in the slot and not as a primary cover guy and that Fangio was so stuck in his ways, that he used personnel in ways that exposed their weaknesses and not their strengths. It doesn't have to be one or the other.....both can be true.

Correct, but you're wasting your typing with this guy, from what I have seen.

That's telling him!
Do you think he will be able to read and comprehend this post?
I'm not so sure. - LOL

Lol I really don’t know why I write essays for like 5 people to see when it’s clear who it’s addressed at is just going to ignore it as it doesn’t fit their narrative.

I guess it's fair to support Gesicki for what he was as a receiving target, which was good enough for 8th and 4th best among TEs in '20 and '21, respectively. 780 yards receiving for a TE is a good 2nd tier dude.

I honestly feel back for Mike watching how little he was used last year and how everything was just wasted in NE this year. Mike deserves better, LOL.
Except he's not a TE, where do those numbers rank among slot WRs?

1. Fangio did not suck, and if someone believed that, then they may need to go back to the drawing board and do a bit more homework.

On the other hand Grier could still get someone at DC that could be even more effective if he's at least a quality DC. The reason is not because the next one is better or more experienced, but because as players said, Fangio was stubborn in only playing his favorites, and not blitzing when no passrush was generated. Cam Smith is a huge example of a hugely talented player Fangio refused to play.

2. The O-Line played better this year, but were honestly not playing as a quality line.

The O-Line were helped by Tua reading the defense quickly, and getting rid of the ball with little time wasted. Still got to give the line a bit of credit early because they did still show consistency to at least give Tua that bit of time, while also opening up some good holes for the RBs to explode through, but once injury started hitting us, the inconsistency came back where Tua started feeling nervous of jail break pass rush happening at any moment.

3. No McDaniel does not suck, not even close to being in the same stratosphere of sucking.

Once the injuries started piling on, he went away from the run more and more, and did make some bad calls, maybe what some say of him just giving the play calling to someone else might actually be better, but McDaniel is a very ingenious young HC that once he hits his stride, he will be Andy Reid special.

4. The Offensive weapons did not suck, the offensive weapons along with the line had huge injury issues.

The line at one point had 4 backups playing, Mostert got hurt, and found it tough to get back on the field again. Achane got hurt, missed quite a bit of games in the middle of the season, and took time to come back to form when he came back. Waddle battled Injury all season, and Hill continually through the season got knicked up, until the end when the injury became to tough to play through or consistently...Oh and Tua hurting his hand did not exactly help matters.

Dolphins really need to deal with how injuries always affect Miami worse then anyone in the NFL, watching the Chiefs and then the 49ers yesterday win to advance to the SB reminded me how overpowering the team was before the injury wave started, and how good the chances could have been if they had been somewhat healthy.

Last edited:
I can’t believe they discontinued fruit stripe gum! The narrative used to be it was overrated and didn’t last long. Now it’s i miss it. And it was underrated

I can’t believe they discontinued fruit stripe gum! The narrative used to be it was overrated and didn’t last long. Now it’s i miss it. And it was underrated
Hey D, and Smith Brothers cough drops with Codeine, I had no idea I was an addict at 8 years old 🤣🤣 Always looked forward to getting sick 😜

The Ever Irreverent VIPER

Back
Top Bottom