"frankenstorm" could force dolphins/jets game to be postponed | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"frankenstorm" could force dolphins/jets game to be postponed

yeah, they're flipping out up there; don't know the exact details but apparently this is like a once in a lifetime "Perfect Storm" where a bunch of barometric elements are unusually combining to wreak havoc. Unlike Florida, their construction is not zoned to withstand some Cat1's not to mention Cat2's which this may refuel into. Have a very good friend on LongIsland; she's scared ****less and tells me they're saying if it strikes there, the projection is that they may be without electricity for 7-10 days.

Just like the cosmic power of Karma with Reggie and Mevi$, when it comes to weather, don't **** with nature.

Believe me dude, he's justified in being scared. I live on the bay on the south shore of LI, and we flood and lose power for DAYS over some moderate rain and a couple of stiff breezes. A few springs back we had a pretty decent Noreaster that downed a **** ton of trees, flooded my driveway and caused me to lose power for 5 days... Sandy makes that storm look like a little bitch, so I shall be staying at my buddy's house on central Long Island for a few days. He's still gonna lose power, but at least I won't get swept out into the great south bay...

All this fuss over a Category 1 ??? Please.

As a long time South Floridian, I don't even get out of bed if it isn't at least CAT 3.

The wind speeds of Sandy isn't all that bad, although the other day i couldn't even open the car door because the wind was so strong when Sandy was parallel to Florida.

It's just the bands of this mofo extend so far. It's really weird. It doesn't matter that the eye won't hit till monday or so because the area is so great. It'll reach well before that.

The latest report doesn't show the outer bands hitting NJ until Monday morning around 2-3am, but i'm sure there will still be ancillary winds prior to that.

Anyone remember that buffalo/new england game back in 08 that had 55 mph winds? When the goal posts were actually bending?That game was such a cluster'f. It won't be that bad but still, ultra windy conditions makes for horrible football from a fan perspective.

As a long time South Floridian, I don't even get out of bed if it isn't at least CAT 3.

This is no ordinary hurricane.

A few pics from around the Bahamas where we still have strong winds blowing today.

644504_10151335944166454_487305248_n-1.jpg

541191_10151069243421767_959719948_n-1.jpg

602620_10151123787179779_577103688_n-1.jpg

550378_10151125990519514_500460914_n-1.jpg

222428_10152237035670078_1299228179_n-1.jpg

I live in Cape County which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away from Metlife Stadium. I'm surrounded by the Delaware River and the Atlantic Ocean so yes I'm concerned. Up where the Stadium is; there are alot of rivers and streams and potential for some real damage to the Tri - State area up near Northern NJ and the stadium; it is a very densely populated area. IMHO it would be wise for the NFL to postpone the game for another time later in the season. This is some kind of a lifetime event that is about to happen with potential to affect 50 million people. So yes this has many Government Officials concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

I gotta agree with electrolyte here. As a Floridian, we hear so much about buying water, buying candles, having clean underwear for a week, it just all seems too much when we get a little extra rain, nothing more.
It seems the news hype is always overblown. Hope nothing happens to anyone up there, but as of now, cat 1,2, isn't much.
So it's possible New York will have power out? Gosh, maybe they won't be able to vote..j/j

Apples and oranges though. The trees and infrastructure in the North isn't the same as what we have down here. While buildings wont be blowing away, 10 inches of rain coupled with trees that aren't used to sustained 75 mph winds will lead to power outages and impassable roads comparable to what we had with Frances or Wilma recently. Not to mention heavy flooding and beach erosion. It's just different because they don't go through these on a regular basis.

Apples and oranges though. The trees and infrastructure in the North isn't the same as what we have down here. While buildings wont be blowing away, 10 inches of rain coupled with trees that aren't used to sustained 75 mph winds will lead to power outages and impassable roads comparable to what we had with Frances or Wilma recently. Not to mention heavy flooding and beach erosion. It's just different because they don't go through these on a regular basis.

That is spot on. Most construction here in Florida is built up to Hurricane codes, and FPL spends boatloads on power outage response preparation etc.

Not to mention, other than the intracoastal, there's only small canals and water ways here. It's only high rise condos by the ocean, so flooding is nowhere as bad compared to the residential areas near rivers. Certain parts of South Beach turn into swimming pools, but mainland Miami doesn't really have those problems.

Flooding is a much bigger concern in the northeast, despite the fact Florida is flat.

I guess the reverse would be the snow that hit Jacksonville in 1989. Our city and especially drivers here were not prepared for snow. A lot of crashes happenedand power went out. People up North probably were unsymaptheitc for a little snow on the roads, but it sucked. I guess that's how some Floridians look at hurricane activity up North.
We shall see, hopefully all goes well.

I gotta agree with electrolyte here. As a Floridian, we hear so much about buying water, buying candles, having clean underwear for a week, it just all seems too much when we get a little extra rain, nothing more.
It seems the news hype is always overblown. Hope nothing happens to anyone up there, but as of now, cat 1,2, isn't much.
So it's possible New York will have power out? Gosh, maybe they won't be able to vote..j/j
first of all, i agree with you in general how many storms are overhyped and do not turn out to be as big of a deal, but then again, its better to prepare everyone for the worse, rather than not make it out to be such a big deal and then bang, the worst happens.

as for this, the dynamics of the storm are such that have not been seen by many meteorologists in years and years. everything that has to come together for this storm to happen basically has, and the track of the storm is the worst case scenario for a major city like NYC, and where i live on Long Island.

the game wont be effected by anything out of the ordinary, maybe rain and a bit of wind, but overall if everything stays on track, this has potential to be a storm with many many billions in damage.

With the weather conditions, airing the ball out may become an alternative in many more plays now. The RBs will be utilized a lot more than expected IMO, and we all know the 'Fins are the best at stopping the run, and damn good at producing the run, and we cannot even remotely say the same thing for the Jets. Need I say more? This is without a doubt our game to lose.

Im just south of the meadowlands and the latest forecasts are saying it's not going to hit hard here until middle of the night Monday into Tuesday. I don't think it will affect the game, but who knows. They have issued a state of emergency for Monday and Tuesday. They may want to keep fans safe but I think everyone will be fine getting to and from the game Sunday before we get clobbered Monday night.

Be safe and go fins!

Back
Top Bottom