"frankenstorm" could force dolphins/jets game to be postponed | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"frankenstorm" could force dolphins/jets game to be postponed

Having lived in the central/south pacific for 18 years I have been through numerous Typhoons many, stronger then what has hit in South Florida. Keep in mind that the area of the country that is threatened does not normally get these storms so their concern is naturally higher. Easy for us to shrug it off as a nuisance from our experience. To those in the tri state area, stay safe and dry. Hopefully this turns out to sea before hitting land.

True. It was probably a bad joke on my part (and really not much of one at that).

I am where the predictors have said it may be 5-7 in of rain with 30-40 mph sustained winds, or if the storm moves more to the east and it gets cold enough (I doubt this will happen, though) - I'll be skiing by wednesday. They will play tomorrow I am sure as the brunt of it is starting downstate late Sunday or early Monday. My school district is even talking about shutting down for a couple of days. That aint normal for my district to shut for anything but the most disastrous of conditions... Go Phins!!

I agree that these things get WAY overhyped, which leads to horrible things when a real threat actually hits (i.e. Katrina) as it causes many people to disregard the warnings. That being said, this is the first time I've ever taken extra precautions and stocked up on some things, and that includes several years spent in Louisiana and the Houston area. The big difference between now and then? I have a pregnant wife to consider, so it's absolutely worth it. The biggest potential issue for us will likely be the loss of electricity, and that little poop factory she's baking gets hungry. There's also the potential for roof damage and leaks because we live on the top floor of our building, but I can deal with that as we go.

Total spent today on beer, water, batteries, food, and candles: $30, and the only thing I probably wouldn't use otherwise are the candles. I never buy bottled water, but that was only $3.00. So, really, I'll be out about $6 if nothing happens. Whoopdeedoo. Worth it. And I'll likely still get 2 extra days off as a consolation if nothing happens.

I agree that these things get WAY overhyped, which leads to horrible things when a real threat actually hits (i.e. Katrina) as it causes many people to disregard the warnings. That being said, this is the first time I've ever taken extra precautions and stocked up on some things, and that includes several years spent in Louisiana and the Houston area. The big difference between now and then? I have a pregnant wife to consider, so it's absolutely worth it. The biggest potential issue for us will likely be the loss of electricity, and that little poop factory she's baking gets hungry. There's also the potential for roof damage and leaks because we live on the top floor of our building, but I can deal with that as we go.

Total spent today on beer, water, batteries, food, and candles: $30, and the only thing I probably wouldn't use otherwise are the candles. I never buy bottled water, but that was only $3.00. So, really, I'll be out about $6 if nothing happens. Whoopdeedoo. Worth it. And I'll likely still get 2 extra days off as a consolation if nothing happens.

I've got about 4 high intensity C Battery lanterns, a battery operated fan, a portable digital TV and of course continue to stockpile a huge supply of batteries. You might consider filling up and freezing some big tupperware containers with water for some large solid blocks of ice for the cooler, and your food perishables; also maybe filling up the bathtub and having a pail near by if you lose toilet "flushability"; making sure you got enough cash on hand if the ATMs are down and that the car gas tanks are reasonably filled up too. Also make sure you know where the car cell charger is cause in your circumstances you definitely need phones for emergencies. But as someone who believes in "Murphy's Law," I understand that it's easy to get complacent because one has dodged a bullet on previous warnings - and end up ruing that decision big time after it's too late... so always "better safe than sorry" no matter the hassle.

I grew up in Miami. I've been thru all the hurricanes in the past 40 years.

Sandy is a monster. I don't remember ever seeing a storm that size. Look at the radar and see how big that storm is.

I remember some of the worst flooding I've been thru was from a category 1 hurricane that barely brushed Miami. This thing is HUGE.

Katrina would fit in one quadrant of Sandy, and leave LOADS of room.

All this fuss over a Category 1 ??? Please.

As a long time South Floridian, I don't even get out of bed if it isn't at least CAT 3.

You make it seem like folks on the East Coast up where I'm at and north of me are used to these sort of things. I can assure you it isn't the same here as it is in Florida.

I've got about 4 high intensity C Battery lanterns, a battery operated fan, a portable digital TV and of course continue to stockpile a huge supply of batteries. You might consider filling up and freezing some big tupperware containers with water for some large solid blocks of ice for the cooler, and your food perishables; also maybe filling up the bathtub and having a pail near by if you lose toilet "flushability"; making sure you got enough cash on hand if the ATMs are down and that the car gas tanks are reasonably filled up too. Also make sure you know where the car cell charger is cause in your circumstances you definitely need phones for emergencies. But as someone who believes in "Murphy's Law," I understand that it's easy to get complacent because one has dodged a bullet on previous warnings - and end up ruing that decision big time after it's too late... so always "better safe than sorry" no matter the hassle.
We've managed to eat the majority of our perishable food, so that's not a problem. The tub will definitely be full before this starts, but I don't believe we lost that the last time we had a power outage. Cash is covered and no car. May pick up some more beer depending on how much I need it after tomorrow's game.

I grew up in Miami. I've been thru all the hurricanes in the past 40 years.

Sandy is a monster. I don't remember ever seeing a storm that size. Look at the radar and see how big that storm is.

I remember some of the worst flooding I've been thru was from a category 1 hurricane that barely brushed Miami. This thing is HUGE.

Katrina would fit in one quadrant of Sandy, and leave LOADS of room.

Plus the current path has it hitting, then turning and basically staying over the whole area for a bit. Insane. The one thing I have no doubt about is the amount of rain we're about to get, even if the wind doesn't live up to the hype (I think it will this time).

They suouldve played today, that way Miami can get the eff out before it hits!

That's a hell-of-an Idea, they could have made it a night game.

Philbin & Company better high tail it to the plane the very second that game ends or they could get stuck up there

Back
Top Bottom