Free agents we actaully MUST add - Offensive Linemen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agents we actaully MUST add - Offensive Linemen

The way the coaching staff raved about Jackson in the preseason, and his injuries being “bad luck” and “one-in-a-million”, makes one think he gets another shot.

Priorities: LB (draft R3), TE (J. Akins), CB (draft R2/3), RB (draft R2/3)

Wouldn‘t be surprised if Miami was active later in FA with economical signings for OL, DE.

Last edited:
With the draft knee deep in CB's, TE's, RB's and Edge; it might be better for Miami to concentrate on those areas, during the draft.

Make F/A more about the Offensive Line and Re-Signing their own. JMO of course.
I like the idea of resigning Wilson and Moestert personally and then draft someone late.

Obviously resign Wilkins

I liked what Brandon Shell did as well, hes a solid backup tackle. I'd let Little walk.

I want to keep Needham and AVG if the price is right. Maybe keep Rowe too, again if price is right.

Rest of the FAs can kick rocks

I like the idea of resigning Wilson and Moestert personally and then draft someone late.

Obviously resign Wilkins

I liked what Brandon Shell did as well, hes a solid backup tackle. I'd let Little walk.

I want to keep Needham and AVG if the price is right. Maybe keep Rowe too, again if price is right.

Rest of the FAs can kick rocks
Little wasn't bad at first, but declined greatly when injured... unfortunately, that's the book on Little-- always injured.
At best, I offer him vet minimum and no bonus. Shell was better.

I do think Miami could use another lineman. But I also thought Austin Jackson was starting to come along in this system. Maybe he can at least be a swing tackle? LG seems unsettled as well.

Great post.

Thanks for posting... would be extra insightful for those of us who know only a few of them, what type of expected market they will land. You mentioned it about one or two of them....

any of them going to get an under the radar "normal" contract?

Regardless of what people think of Austin Jackson, we need AT LEAST one more starter quality player for the OL. Someone like Eichenburg should never see another starter snap again. Put him, Shell, and whoever else you like in backup roles and get us one more starters (or maybe 2 depending on what they think of Ajax).

With the draft knee deep in CB's, TE's, RB's and Edge; it might be better for Miami to concentrate on those areas, during the draft.

Make F/A more about the Offensive Line and Re-Signing their own. JMO of course.
Phila, KC and SanFarn all have high end OLs and Phila & SanFran have the best Ds.

KC has the head and shoulders best QB (tho of course the ankle is a serious concern) and Cincy has Joe Cool.

So what does it mean? 75% of the best teams have top shelf OL. Like focking DUH! It's the same story over and over.

Add to that QB play and D = The not so secret winning formula.

Me personally -- I think OL for us is priority #1. And unlike some of the fantasizers in this thread -- AJ ain't no OL talent you can bank on.

Add Eichenbust to the trash bin until proven otherwise.

And exactly what is Deiter??? More trash.

IMO nothing would be better than a honest legit effort to make the OL a top 5 unit with DEPTH!

BUILD THE FOUNDATION!

Aren't we ALL so sick of this?????????????????

StarterB/U #1B/U #2
LTArmsteadG. LittleK. Lamm
LGEichenberg*R. JonesL. Cotton
CC. WilliamsM. Deiter
RGR. HuntR. Jones
RTA. Jackson*B. ShellK. Smith
* at-risk starter

ACTIONS:
1. Cut G. Little, Improve swing tackle depth
2. Add LG in training camp for 4-way battle to start
3. Cut Deiter, add C late draft, UDFA

Then what OL guys are you planning on playing next season?
Like this

Armstead
Jones/Eichenberg
Williams
Hunt
Jackson

The loser at LG becomes the swing Guard.
I'd attempt to resign Shell, Lamm, or Fisher for swing Tackle.
We need to sign a backup C/G if Dieter walks.

Yes, I think we're good enough here. Line play went from (I think) 32nd to 21st even considering the laundry list of injuries. Honestly, I'm more worried about the backup Center than anything else.

TE's take more time to aclumate to the NFL than almost any position, you have to learn all the protections and blocking techniques and how to be a reciever. Hunter Long should start to break out next year.
Long isn't a good TE. He never will be. Gesicki while athletic and flashes at times, absolutely sucks with his hand in the dirt. The rest of the TEs can be replaced, they are 2nd TEs on most rosters at best.

Phila, KC and SanFarn all have high end OLs and Phila & SanFran have the best Ds.

KC has the head and shoulders best QB (tho of course the ankle is a serious concern) and Cincy has Joe Cool.

So what does it mean? 75% of the best teams have top shelf OL. Like focking DUH! It's the same story over and over.

Me personally -- I think OL for us is priority #1. And unlike some of the fantasizers in this thread -- AJ ain't no OL talent you can bank on.

IMO nothing would be better than a honest legit effort to make the OL a top 5 unit with DEPTH!

BUILD THE FOUNDATION!

If Miami had one more solid offensive linemen it could definitely make a big difference. Armstead, Williams and Hunt are a nice core.

Ideally, you'd like someone versatile who might be able to jump in and play LT if need be.

The drop-off from Tua and Armstead respectively was difficult for the Dolphins to overcome.

BUILD THE FOUNDATION!

Even when you go back into NFL History, like the Dallas teams with Johnson as coach, they fielded the best or one of the best Offensive Lines in the league at the time.

Miami is about to restructure a huge amount of contracts just to gain cap. Why not take advantage of some of the players the OP listed in his original post. All could improve Miami's OL. I was dead wrong about Eichenberg and never was a fan of Jackson, and they've done nothing to instill confidence moving forward. Jones and Shell, played much better than expected and would make awesome depth, at the very least. Like you I think Miami would be better served going after at least one of these guys listed above. Improving the offensive line via F/A looks like it may be a viable option this year.

As for CB and TE, this draft is so deep at these two particular positions, I'm betting there will be teams finding major contributors as late as round five. If Miami does this right, they'd be able to potentially fix three of their needs after day two and F/A.

Like this

Armstead
Jones/Eichenberg
Williams
Hunt
Jackson

The loser at LG becomes the swing Guard.
I'd attempt to resign Shell, Lamm, or Fisher for swing Tackle.
We need to sign a backup C/G if Dieter walks.

Yes, I think we're good enough here. Line play went from (I think) 32nd to 21st even considering the laundry list of injuries. Honestly, I'm more worried about the backup Center than anything else.
Being ranked 21st in Oline, isn't good enough to win a title.

Being ranked 21st in Oline, isn't good enough to win a title.
Being ranked 21st in line is pretty good considering how many injuries we sustained. A clean card and we would have ranked much higher... I think you realize this. No?

Back
Top Bottom