Fritz Pollard: Minorities Should Wait to Interview for GM Post | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fritz Pollard: Minorities Should Wait to Interview for GM Post

Not really. Unless maybe your talking about a retail job.

I would expect to have a clear vision of what my title, duties and responsibilities are before they waste my time and I waste theirs.

The only big thing I would expect to discuss is my salary, everything else should be minor details.

So your telling me any person that interviews for a GM job for any team in the NFL will already know what their full duties, responsibilities, and what the chain of command will be in the organization before the interview?? Don't think so.

I would expect to have a clear vision of what my title, duties and responsibilities are before they waste my time and I waste theirs.

The only big thing I would expect to discuss is my salary, everything else should be minor details.

This stuff should be known before the interview. The candidate should have a clear understanding of the GM role themselves from their agent before even agreeing to be interviewed.

I'm wondering how the Rams got minorities to interview before hiring Les Snead into what has to have been the most emasculated "GM" position available - essentially being the go-fer for a power-hungry HC with organizational oversight whose claim to fame was at that point 6 winning seasons out of more than 16. Did they inform their members that this would be a glorified errand-boy for a mediocre, egotistical "white man?" I'm truly curious how that one was depicted and judged.

That's why they call you up about an interview and you ask what their GM position encompasses and what power u have. All 32 teams have their GM structures and many are different, same with coaches.
Not sure why the Dolphins are being singled out.

This is from the CEO
“In my conversations with [Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, we’re looking for] someone with a proven track record of evaluating talent, a football person,” said Garfinkel, who will have a role in the search. “That’s going to be the first criteria. Someone with a lot of intellect. A collaborative team player. Someone who’s creative and open-minded.”

Garfinkel said candidates without previous GM experience would not necessarily be excluded.

“The first priority is winning football games,” added Garfinkel, who was hired to replace Mike Dee at the beginning of the 2013 season.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/08/3859020/miami-dolphins-expect-to-conduct.html#storylink=cpy

The Pollard assaociation is doing more harm than good with this idiotic stance

Its Ross franchise he doesn't owe the media or this group an explanation. They are looking for a GM period those canidates can CHOOSE to interview to learn more about position or not. Look when I looked at job postings in the past I had questions & you know what I asked in the interview or it was brought up. This is ridiculous .

The Fritz Pollard faction's attitude is like a homeless guy questioning whether he should go eat at Dennys until he sees what is on the menu. Beggars can't be choosers.

I am a little confused. Is Ross proposing that Aponte (Executive VP of Football Administration) be on equal footing as the GM? If so, I am not sure what the issue is. When I worked for Siemens, they employed a similar structure with one person in charge of a division (marketing, etc.) coupled with a CFO in charge of the money side. They worked hand in hand and each focused on what they do best.

Ummm...Isn't job duties/description something you find out about in the interview process?

The NFL anti-tampering policy specifically states what a GM's duties are. Its not just a title with superficial duties. They had to define the position to prevent teams from just attaching high titles to circumvent the lateral move rule.

"A general manager is defined as an individual who has (1) the authority over all personnel decisions related to the signing of free agents, the selection of players in the College Draft, trades, terminations, and related decisions, and (2) the responsibility for coordinating other football activities with the Head Coach"

There is no need to contact Fritz Pollard to clarify what the NFL has already defined imo.

While I think those minority members should take any interview they can(what do they hae to lose?)what Ross is doing is horrible as always. He likes to do things half way. Gotrid of Sparano but kept Ireland. Now got rid of Ireland but kept Philin. Clean the damn house then hire the best. Instead, some people are not going to want the puppet job under Aponte and Philbin.

Ozzy rules!!

I tell you what this bs doesn't happen I we are talking about the mara's or kraft, but Ross probably has a rep as a flip flopper or weak so they think they can pressure him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This stuff should be known before the interview. The candidate should have a clear understanding of the GM role themselves from their agent before even agreeing to be interviewed.

The NFL has a clear written understanding of a gm's responsibility for all teams to follow.

All of this started the minute Ireland walked out the door and his boy Mando ran his story.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

Biggest fear: Football Czar...

Whether it be Peterson or Marino or whomever. What power will this new GM really have? Sign free agents? Draft players? HIRE/FIRE COACHES?

What the Dolphins should do is keep it the same. Don't let some outside force dictate your organization.

This entire situation is approaching the ridiculous. If I'm hired as a head chef for the first time, I expect to run the kitchen because that's my area of expertise. I don't expect the head waiter to be picking my sous chef and planning the menu. And if I'm not in charge of those things, then I'm really not a head chef, I'm simply a cook. And if all I am is a cook, and if the job doesn't work out, it puts me in a difficult situation when I apply for a new job because while my resume might say "head chef," my experience falls far short of that. This secretive nonsense stinks of paranoia.

Theres nothing wrong with what Ross is doing here. Stop listening to these media trolls.

Every candidate is different and will receive a different offer if they are identified as a candidate Ross wants to hire. For fritz to tell these guys they shouldn't interview is ridiculous.

They might knock the interview out the park and get everything they desire. Or maybe they run into a clown like our old owner who called Mike Tomlin "too hip hop". Who knows, but you have to interview to find out.

Back
Top Bottom