From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie

dolphan mike u are right in every aspect...

side note though, i wouldnt consider coaching your kids football team having experience as a OC :p

BTW that was a joke, hope u take it that way, and fares well with his "big head" :p

thecoordinator said:
ok, then let me make my own point. drafting a tail back with the #2 pick and then paying him a fat contract to play FB is utterly asinine.

Not quite!!! You have to look passed the FB definition and visualize the results of having 2 playmakers on the field at the same time.... In essence RB will be exactly that not the version of a FB that you are assuming :confused: :lol:

BLUESTIGIDY said:
Not quite!!! You have to look passed the FB definition and visualize the results of having 2 playmakers on the field at the same time.... In essence RB will be exactly that not the version of a FB that you are assuming :confused: :lol:
Exactly. In this type of scheme the FB makes as many fakes as he does lead block. Its actually more of a RB- RB scheme moreso than a HB / FB scheme.

dolphinman23 said:
dolphan mike u are right in every aspect...

side note though, i wouldnt consider coaching your kids football team having experience as a OC :p

BTW that was a joke, hope u take it that way, and fares well with his "big head" :p
No offense taken.

Keep in mind that I do have a limited experience. I'm by no means "the authority" on the pro scheme. However, I have coached varsity football for over 20 years, most of that time I've served as an Offensive Coordinator.
During that same stretch, I've attended 3 professional coaching clinics per year taught by coaches like Linehan, Saban, and every other coach in the NCAA or NFL. I've currently have 5-6 former players playing in the NFL and a handful in the NCAA. Part of my love of my job is that it also involved my favorite hobby...the Miami Dolphins!

C'mon guys...just because we might be getting Ricky Williams back doesn't mean Ronnie Brown automatically drops on the depth chart and/or becomes a fulllback in our offense. Linehan likes 3WR sets and I don't see him sitting McMichael to bring in Ronnie as a fullback. I can't see that being our base offense especially having one of the worst Olines in the league.

If we do get Ricky back, I'd imagine that Ronnie will be used as the main back (he'll be practicing that way being that Ricky will be suspended the first 4 games no matter what) and get @15-20 carries and hopefully @5-7 receptions a game. In my opinion, Ronnie's best plays will come from little screens ala GB and Ahman Green...a couple of good blocks and get him 1 on 1 with a DB or safety in between the hash marks and sideline. A physical 230lbs ripping 4.3 40s doesn't bode well for DBs.

My biggest question about Brown has been whether or not he'd be able to hold up as a featured back carrying the ball 20 something times a game. Not because I don't think he can do it....he's just never really been asked to. With Ricky back, we'd be able to spell him at any point and not lose much..if anything at all. Being able to simulate to a certain extent how he was used at Auburn would be a plus because we've all seen how succesful he was in that scheme.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
C'mon guys...just because we might be getting Ricky Williams back doesn't mean Ronnie Brown automatically drops on the depth chart and/or becomes a fulllback in our offense. Linehan likes 3WR sets and I don't see him sitting McMichael to bring in Ronnie as a fullback. I can't see that being our base offense especially having one of the worst Olines in the league.

If we do get Ricky back, I'd imagine that Ronnie will be used as the main back (he'll be practicing that way being that Ricky will be suspended the first 4 games no matter what) and get @15-20 carries and hopefully @5-7 receptions a game. In my opinion, Ronnie's best plays will come from little screens ala GB and Ahman Green...a couple of good blocks and get him 1 on 1 with a DB or safety in between the hash marks and sideline. A physical 230lbs ripping 4.3 40s doesn't bode well for DBs.

My biggest question about Brown has been whether or not he'd be able to hold up as a featured back carrying the ball 20 something times a game. Not because I don't think he can do it....he's just never really been asked to. With Ricky back, we'd be able to spell him at any point and not lose much..if anything at all. Being able to simulate to a certain extent how he was used at Auburn would be a plus because we've all seen how succesful he was in that scheme.
You make some good points. However, the title of the thread is: From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie. i'm talking about how I'd use them if I had the weapons.

McMike, boston, and Brown could all be used in various ways to make plays. Unless Brown surprises, I dont see him keeping Ricky off of the field as a starter. The idea of the thread was how Saban may get Ronnie on the field. BTW - Saban was the first one to mention Ronnie at FB...not me. He made the statement on Draft day when discussing Brown, Ricky, and our other picks.

thecoordinator said:
ok, then let me make my own point. drafting a tail back with the #2 pick and then paying him a fat contract to play FB is utterly asinine.

WHat the HECK difference does it make if it says HB or FB. If the guy gets the ball this way or that. He gets the freakin ball.

Don't get so hung up on the minutia. I think it was one of the first and only well thought out posts about what to do with the two.

JB

DOLFANMIKE said:
Wow. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge Dolfan. Thanks for sharing. Could you please help me out with a few novice questions of mine?

- Has Linehan ever used a FB in his systems as an OC? If so, how exactly has he used them? Have you attended any coaching clinincs that he has taught at? If so where...when? What exactly are the foundations of his scheme as an OC?

- Why did Saban sign FB Heath Evans? Why do we have FB Jamar Martin on our roster? How does this fact relate to your post?

- When we drafted Ronnie Brown, Saban was asked if that mean't that Ricky was no longer a part of his plans. Saban responded that part of his attraction to Ronnie Brown was that not only could he play both HB and FB well, but that he also was the kind of team player that would fit into a crowded backfield. How does that comment reflect your ideas?

I eagerly await your well educated response.

:couch: thecoordinator :roflmao: :0wned:

Dont forget, Ricky played FB at Texas to block for Preist Holmes. Just a thought.

Ya know i threw out these ideas out there right after the draft. That is how both RB and RW could be used to confuse defenses etc. Also how i expected it to actually happen (the un-retirement of RW's).

I was bombarded by numerous lame and un intellectual responses, you know who you are! I just got one question. Where are you now? Id like to personally thank you all for making me look like a frickin genius.. :cool:

DOLFANMIKE said:
Exactly. In this type of scheme the FB makes as many fakes as he does lead block. Its actually more of a RB- RB scheme moreso than a HB / FB scheme.

I was thinking the same thing. I love the idea! No more keeping a lazy eye on Konrad (or who ever was back there when he was hurt). If your sleeping, Ronnie or Ricky may take it to the house!

Steve

DOLFANMIKE said:
Wow. You seem to have a great deal of knowledge Dolfan. Thanks for sharing. Could you please help me out with a few novice questions of mine? I eagerly await your well educated response.

youre welcome, mike. glad to help a young dolfan like yourself grasp a better understanding of what you're looking at on sundays. however, the Q&A session has ended for today, but if you bring your notebook and crayon again tomorrow i'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

thecoordinator said:
youre welcome, mike. glad to help a young dolfan like yourself grasp a better understanding of what you're looking at on sundays. however, the Q&A session has ended for today, but if you bring your notebook and crayon again tomorrow i'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Come on Bro, choke it down. We all have to eat crow sometimes, and today is your turn.

Steve

we released konrad and hired scott linehan as our OC and still people talk about the FB position on our team....

Turns out Konrad is most likley retiring... we replaced him with Evans. Also Scott Linehan used Kliensasser as a FB all the time and it work very well.... especially when they played us a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom