From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie

thecoordinator said:
youre welcome, mike. glad to help a young dolfan like yourself grasp a better understanding of what you're looking at on sundays. however, the Q&A session has ended for today, but if you bring your notebook and crayon again tomorrow i'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I would have even appreciated it more if you'd actually answered any of the questions. In fact I noticed how you had to actually had to edit out the questions in my last post when you put in the quote on half my post. Good work. Thats what we call "Dodgeball" in the coaching world when you don't know how to handle a situation.

I see you took up plenty of time making noise, but presented no substance whatsoever. I'm sure everyone will enjoy reading through the thread seeing your genius at work. Looks like most the readers have already figured you out.

I suppose the reason you had no response is that you had no substance to your thoughts and were just popping off ...

AirChambers84 said:
Turns out Konrad is most likley retiring... we replaced him with Evans. Also Scott Linehan used Kliensasser as a FB all the time and it work very well.... especially when they played us a few years back.
Don't confuse him with any facts Dolfan. He already has all the answers he can handle.

DOLFANMIKE said:
I would have even appreciated it more if you'd actually answered any of the questions. I see you took up plenty of time making noise, but presented no substance whatsoever. I'm sure everyone will enjoy reading through the thhread seeing your genius at work. Looksl ike most the readers have already figured you out.

I suppose the reason you had no response is that you had no substance to your thoughts and were just popping off ...

Mike, did you finance him or pay cash?

NaboCane said:
Mike, did you finance him or pay cash?
You mean when I actually took over payments on him? I found a coupon in the Friday paper and got him for free!

It was a "1 free uninformed fan" coupon.

DOLFANMIKE said:
You mean when I actually took over payments on him? I found a coupon in the Friday paper and got him for free!

It was a "1 free uninformed fan" coupon.

Did you get fries? :D

Not only will Ronnie Brown will see time at FB, Saban has been using him in minicamp in other positions, too.

He can split out and play WR well, better the most runningbacks more then likely. Running a 4.4 is faster then average for a WR, much less a RB. Not only that, but considering how physical a runner and not a bad blocker too boot, he probabaly has the physical ability to be a real problem to jam coming off the line.

We also used him at H-back, too. Making him a dynamic blocker, harder to anticipate where he will end up when the play starts.

i'll go toe to toe with anyone here on anything football, especially Xs and Os on offense. but i dont have time to battle back and fourth with you guys in your forum game of eat crow. you WILL NOT see ronnie brown and ricky williams in the backfield at the same time this year EXCEPT for a very few number of plays that were individually drawn up in specific game plans to take advantage of matchups against particular teams. nick saban is a "system" guy, as is scott linehan. jim kliensasser was a probowl FB that linehan converted to a TE. why? because in his offense, his system and philosophy dictates a player of that caliber is better suited at TE than the much lesser used FB. the FBs we have on our roster now are short yardage and goal line blocking backs and thats all the FB position will be used for. why do you think we have MC and LEE, and still brought in a bunch of TEs? did we bring in a bunch of FBs? no, we were too busy releasing them because 2 back sets are not a big part of linehan's SYSTEM and just because ricky is coming back scott is not going to change his entire offensive philosophy. this is not like highschool football where you manage the hand youre dealt. you bring players in to fit your system via the draft and free agency, not the other way around. i could go on and on about why we wont see what you would do with ronnie and ricky, but the most glaring reason is probably because you coach highschool and not nfl...if you need more reasons there are plenty more where these came from.

themole said:
Looks to me like Mike was doing the FRYING. :lol:

Yup, and I was trying to set him up to use that zinger! :D

thecoordinator said:
i'll go toe to toe with anyone here on anything football, especially Xs and Os on offense. but i dont have time to battle back and fourth with you guys in your forum game of eat crow. you WILL NOT see ronnie brown and ricky williams in the backfield at the same time this year EXCEPT for a very few number of plays that were individually drawn up in specific game plans to take advantage of matchups against particular teams. nick saban is a "system" guy, as is scott linehan. jim kliensasser was a probowl FB that linehan converted to a TE. why? because in his offense, his system and philosophy dictates a player of that caliber is better suited at TE than the much lesser used FB. the FBs we have on our roster now are short yardage and goal line blocking backs and thats all the FB position will be used for. why do you think we have MC and LEE, and still brought in a bunch of TEs? did we bring in a bunch of FBs? no, we were too busy releasing them because 2 back sets are not a big part of linehan's SYSTEM and just because ricky is coming back scott is not going to change his entire offensive philosophy. this is not like highschool football where you manage the hand youre dealt. you bring players in to fit your system via the draft and free agency, not the other way around. i could go on and on about why we wont see what you would do with ronnie and ricky, but the most glaring reason is probably because you coach highschool and not nfl...if you need more reasons there are plenty more where these came from.

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie:

This is the thread title!

This is what Mike said he would do as OC. He did not say that is what the Dolphins will do.

Truth is: No one knows, not even Lineham or Saban right now because #1 RW isn't even back in the fold yet.

thecoordinator said:

Well thank you Nick Saban!

BTW - When you come off like you did on this thread, don't wonder why you get bashed or why nobody respects anything you have to say. Too proud to admit you are wrong and too lame to apologize when called on it. You never did answer the questions.

- Has Linehan ever used a FB in his systems as an OC? If so, how exactly has he used them? Have you attended any coaching clinincs that he has taught at? If so where...when? What exactly are the foundations of his scheme as an OC?

- Why did Saban sign FB Heath Evans? Why do we have FB Jamar Martin on our roster? How does this fact relate to your post?

- When we drafted Ronnie Brown, Saban was asked if that mean't that Ricky was no longer a part of his plans. Saban responded that part of his attraction to Ronnie Brown was that not only could he play both HB and FB well, but that he also was the kind of team player that would fit into a crowded backfield. How does that comment reflect your ideas?

Apparently you even know more about the situation than our coach Nick Saban, since he said we may very well play Brown at FB or in the slot some of the time.

I guess we can take your word on it though because you say so.

As far as my "high school" system goes, at least I'm man enough to say specifically where I work and what I do. I've never been vague about who I've coached or who trained me. As for you knocking the idea I put forth , that "high school" scheme you put down was Bill Walsh's offense. Shows how well thought out the post. Just how many Super Bowls did that High school scheme of Walsh's win anyhow? The run game seemed to work pretty well for them even when they didn't have Pro Bowlers running it.

That said you may very well end up being right on how Ronnie and Ricky are used in Miami this season, since niether you or I have any control of what Miami chooses to run. What I put forth was an idea of what I'd do in Linehans situation. The scheme is a proven pro scheme, so if you are as "educated in the game" as you seem to imply, there is no reason in the world for you to have come off like you did on your posts here. It's not like I posted up here saying look what we do at my HS or what my pee wee team runs. Its a proven Pro scheme. Period!
If your point was just to say "I don't see it happening" then perhaps you could have phrased it different rather than using terms like asinine, etc.

all i have to go on with linehan is what ive seen and can remember from the last few years and what ive heard from people that know way more about the vikings than i do. what i'm saying is that when he has a fb the caliber of jim kliensasser and not only moves kliensasser to te, but virtually eliminates the fb position and 2 back sets from the offense, this guy is set in his ways about his philosophy. he's not looking to run a west coast style 15-play-drive offense. it's a scheme designed for the big play. stretch the field, create space, and allow speed to make plays in the open field. single back, 2 te and 3+ wr sets, imo, are obviously a greater facilitator to make this happen than more traditional 2 wr, 2 rb, 1 te sets. also, it elimates who is usually the least productive player with the ball in his hands on offense, the fb, and adds another player with more playmaking ability. granted, ronnie brown would by no means resemble the typical fullback, and could without a doubt do some damage to opposing defenses in wco style role. however, it all goes back to having a system, and having a guy like brown in a fb role would be very unique. if, for whatever reason, ronnie could not play, who is going to assume a role uniquely played by him ? if your system is dependent upon particular individuals and they go down, you have to make pretty significant adjustments to the offense during the season and that isn't always a recipe for success. that's why i think though we might see brown and williams in the backfield from time to time when a game plan calls for plays specifically drawn up for that week (brown may lineup infront of williams, then motion wide to try and draw a lb in man coverage), a 2 back set featuring both brown and williams will by no means be a staple of our offense. i would expect to see ricky and ronnie split carries, but have no idea who will get the majority. that might change from week to week depending on the game plan. thats what i think saban meant when he said brown can handle a crowded backfield. ronnie isn't going to complain if he isn't starting or getting 20+ carries a game. i think nick's comment about brown playing fb were just to demonstrate his versatility and value as a #2 pick, but i don' think you draft a kid at #2 who you're gonna pay a huge contract to with the idea he will see a lot of time in some type of fb role. ultimately i think the plan is get ricky enough carries to show the rest of the league he can be at or near what he was before he left, significantly increasing his trade value, and taking a little pressure off ronnie his rookie year, allowing brown to step in his 2nd season and take over the full load of being a true feature back like tomlinson. with that said, and ronnie's future being as our starting tail back, you'd like him to get most of his experience this year at that position. oh, as for bringing in heath evans, i'd guess they probably believe he can beat out martin and moa to be the short yardage and goal line lead blocker. plus, he's a little more versatile than martin.

great post, but when madden 06 comes out us dolphins fans are gonna have fun ronnie a FB ricky a RB, chamber, boston, booker and mcmike we are gonna be like the colts offense+ we have a great defence........:)

love the post, dolphanmike! i hate hearing roger craig's name mentioned. i do remember someone (and i could use some help here) saying the #1 reason why dan marino doesn't have a super bowl ring is because he couldn't cover roger craig coming out of the backfield. sad but true...

Back
Top Bottom