From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie

Dolfanmike

well argued thread my friend, totally onside with all you say.

Martin

Run Ricky in the same backfield w Ronnie...have Ronnie go into the slot at times...let them share the load keeping them both fresh and healthy for the fourth quarter and for the whole season.

I tend to think its more of a 1-2 punch thing with brown and ricky with ricky being #2. This is all about business and the dolphins and ricky not losing any money and getting something out of it. If Ricky cannot play the first four games, then Ricky gets slowly worked into the rotation and sets up special plays with ronnie possibly being in the slot or H-back. You can get ricky going in the third quarter with fresh legs and all of a sudden a defense is looking at stopping ricky and then you put in Brown for a big deep pass play.

Supposing Ricky comes back, I think having both Rickey and Ronnie in the same backfield would pose big matchup problems for the D. If they come out in a 4-3 or 3-4 D, we could motion Brown out and match him up 1 on 1 with a LB. I favor Brown on that one. If they come out in a Nickel or Dime, we could run Ricky or Ronnie towards the side of that 5' 9" nickel/dime back. If Ricky puts on the lbs., we definitely know who's winning that one. With Ronnie's pass catching abilities, there is no way we'll be seeing 8 men in the box anymore.

thecoordinator said:
but the most glaring reason is probably because you coach highschool and not nfl...if you need more reasons there are plenty more where these came from.

Since you seem to diss Dolfan Mike's knowledge, being that he coaches only high school, perhaps you could let us know your credentials and background in the realm of football.

Klinensasser played TE in college for UND. He was moved to FB in the pros. I'm not sure what some of you are saying but he did play TE in college.

DOLFANMIKE said:
You make some good points. However, the title of the thread is: From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie. i'm talking about how I'd use them if I had the weapons.

McMike, boston, and Brown could all be used in various ways to make plays. Unless Brown surprises, I dont see him keeping Ricky off of the field as a starter. The idea of the thread was how Saban may get Ronnie on the field. BTW - Saban was the first one to mention Ronnie at FB...not me. He made the statement on Draft day when discussing Brown, Ricky, and our other picks.

I think you may be jumping the gun here a bit. Ricky has a lot of hurdles before he even becomes a Dolphin again....after that he's got a 4game suspension, 40lbs to add on, a new offensive system to learn, etc. He'll get his playing time but Ronnie will be the main guy. Ronnie was our #2 pick in the draft and he'll be getting his 10 mil plus signing bonus shortly...he'll be our featured back. I think we'll see Ronnie on the field as a fullback at certain points through out the season to get both guys on the field (what a headache that's gonna be for defenses) but not more than a couple of times a game.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
I think you may be jumping the gun here a bit. Ricky has a lot of hurdles before he even becomes a Dolphin again....after that he's got a 4game suspension, 40lbs to add on, a new offensive system to learn, etc. He'll get his playing time but Ronnie will be the main guy. Ronnie was our #2 pick in the draft and he'll be getting his 10 mil plus signing bonus shortly...he'll be our featured back. I think we'll see Ronnie on the field as a fullback at certain points through out the season to get both guys on the field (what a headache that's gonna be for defenses) but not more than a couple of times a game.

Originally Posted by DOLFANMIKE
You make some good points. However, the title of the thread is: From an Offensive Coordinator: What I'd do with Ricky and Ronnie. i'm talking about how I'd use them if I had the weapons.

I don't see anyone jumping the gun. Mike said that is how he would use them "IF" he had the weapons.

I interpret that to mean if the players were capable (based on RWs past and RB potential) and the situation allowed for it.

Guys...no one is saying that is what Linehan will do. They are saying "IF" they were OC that is what they would consider doing.

DolphinsD1 said:
great post, but when madden 06 comes out us dolphins fans are gonna have fun ronnie a FB ricky a RB, chamber, boston, booker and mcmike we are gonna be like the colts offense+ we have a great defence........:)

Ricky isn'y gonna be in Madden 2006.....I know one of the Project Managers at EA Sports and he told me no Ricky. He did say that we may get the "Miami Fight Song" after TD's at home though!

thecoordinator said:
:roflmao:

where's the humor :confused2 ? I don't see it..... Ronnie going deep isn't really a joke... He's a threat out there.... for a "coordinator" you sure don't do your homework

Roman529 said:
It seems like when we first got Ricky we used him on some screen passes and then the last year or so all we did was try to pound Ricky for 35+ carries a game....I think that is why Ricky wore down and was a big part in his retirement decision. If we could get Ricky to come back and cut his carries to 15-20 and have RB as the main back I think that would be the best option.

Does Sammy Morris fit into this scheme?:confused:

Krie30511 said:
where's the humor :confused2 ? I don't see it..... Ronnie going deep isn't really a joke... He's a threat out there.... for a "coordinator" you sure don't do your homework

Yes, but I think the more inferred "potential" play is bringing in Ronnie as a DECOY and going deep on a pass play. Kinda like a ropa-dope.

By rotating Ricky and Ronnie, you can never be certain it IS or IS NOT a running play. Both can run and catch and both will be wanting their touches. That scenario alone makes defenses respect the run no matter what formation is on the field. Ricky and Ronnie would not truly be a #1 and #2 backfield. It would be like a horse race with 1a and 1b entries. Both are legitimate complete #1 RBs.

With Chambers/Booker/Boston/McMike and Brown or Williams on the field in a single set..... you can't honestly double team anyone. Any of the 5 players could burn you.

I'm completely impressed with the amount of offensive threats we can place on the field in ANY situation. This offense is going to be fun to watch!

thecoordinator said:
ok, then let me make my own point. drafting a tail back with the #2 pick and then paying him a fat contract to play FB is utterly asinine.

That would be true if your intentions were to play Ronnie Brown in a strictly traditional fullback role, however if you use him as part of a multi-faceted attack where he carries the ball alot and catches a lot of passes it makes a lot of sense.

A great OC finds ways to get all of his best players on the field and making an impact at the same time, it can make for an extremely difficult offense to gameplan against.

Its all about scoring points......not individual stats.

Back
Top Bottom