Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year." | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gase: "I’d like to draft a quarterback every year."

No.. he lied after he was kicked to the curb hoping that revisionist history would earn him another chance to **** up another team. Not a single independent corroboration exists! Ya know, a little like "team builder" The Rancid Tuna tried to insist he had nothing to do with drafting Pat White. LOL

And it's especially ironic that through his nepotism, Philbin did his best to try to sink Tannehill..
Then I admit I was wrong. I didn't know Philbin made that up to cover himself. Pat White...I can still see that hit Ike Taylor laid on him against Pittsburgh. Uggh.

How do you define "franchise QB?"

A QB that still performs at a high level when everything around him is not well setup. One who can mask team deficiencies and still raise team play with his ability. Every QB can perform well when everything is going great around him like Foles and Kenum did this year and even Dalton a few years ago when that team was stacked.

I want a guy like Luck for instance, who was on that sorry ass pathetic roster and still winning 11 games.

Do you consider Nick Foles to be a franchise qb???

No, stick him in the 5%

Last edited:
Gase can say anything really because he is basically talking about a wish list, Gase knows good and damn well with all the needs (not wants) on this team, he doesn't have the luxury of drafting a QB every year right now, we are still a few years away before we have that luxury.

Gase also assured everybody in 2017 that Cutler wasn't the problem. If you disagree, maybe we shouldn't just take Gase's coachspeak as gospel

Early in the season, Cutler wasn't the biggest problem.

From Oct 4th:

• On why he has faith in Jay Cutler as the starter: “I know where the ball is supposed to go. I know who is supposed to do what on every play. If we protect him and give him a second to throw the ball, we’ll be all right. If he is going to get hit from start to finish, I don’t care who you put back there. We need to do a better job of protecting him and being where we’re supposed to be. There are somethings footwork wise he is going to better at. He knows where to go with the ball. We’re going to keep working on protecting the football when things break down in the pocket. We can’t just let him take hit after hit after hit after hit and expect him to stand in there. It’s not going to happen.”

Does criticism of Cutler bother him? “It drives me nuts. When I got here, I heard Ryan Tannehill couldn’t play. That was wrong. The evaluation skills of quarterbacks is really bad. I’m not going to listen to anybody outside myself.”

I stand by my opinion that it is a team game. I don't change how I look at the game based on the QB under discussion. I leave that to the anti-Tannehill crowd.

I'm sorry this post is correct. If Joe Philbin wanted to replace Tannehill it must be the correct decision. How could anyone question a coach the caliber of Joe Philbin. Mods, close the thread.
He’s simply refuting he false conspiracy theory. I swear you have to explain things to people in here. A lot.

Gase also assured everybody in 2017 that Cutler wasn't the problem. If you disagree, maybe we shouldn't just take Gase's coachspeak as gospel
I think everybody (RT believers and non believers alike) needs to understand one thing in the NFL. The head coach is genrally going to back his starting quarterback publicly leading up to the season and during the season. What they actually talk about and plan privately is a very different matter.

No.. he lied after he was kicked to the curb hoping that revisionist history would earn him another chance to **** up another team. Not a single independent corroboration exists! Ya know, a little like "team builder" The Rancid Tuna tried to insist he had nothing to do with drafting Pat White. LOL

And it's especially ironic that through his nepotism, Philbin did his best to try to sink Tannehill..
Is this actually fact? We know Philbin in fact lied that he wanted to draft Carr? I thought this actually happened.

Where is the article or link that corroborates that Philbin lied?

Gase can say anything really because he is basically talking about a wish list, Gase knows good and damn well with all the needs (not wants) on this team, he doesn't have the luxury of drafting a QB every year right now, we are still a few years away before we have that luxury.
Pretty sure Gase and the idiot front office knows they better have a backup ready to groom and win games with. You’d hope they learned from the 10M panic move for Cutler that completely and ridiculously failed.

Early in the season, Cutler wasn't the biggest problem.

From Oct 4th:

I stand by my opinion that it is a team game. I don't change how I look at the game based on the QB under discussion. I leave that to the anti-Tannehill crowd.

Agree with you it is a team game and a QB needs Team support. But WHO the QB is also matters. Bigtime. Maybe an opposite direction argument would help you.

Let’s look at RT 8 game stretch in 2016. How would the team have done with Bortles as the QB for these 8 games. How about Kizer? Or Chad Henne? Or Chad Pennington at his age and arm condition as of 2016? Pretty sure the team wouldn’t have been 7-1 and gotten the production that RT brought.

Yes we have a period of time in the RT career that if the stars align and all groups are somewhat in sync that RT can win games. The whole point the anti RT crowd is making is that WHEN everything isn’t ideal, and all groups are not getting it done, RT cannot lift the franchise and put the Team on his shoulders to victory. He can not overcome the deficiencies and WILL his team. A dynamic and higher caliber QB could do this. Which leads to more wins when a group is not performing. Even 1-2 more wins in a season is HUGE when you factor in playoffs. 8-8 to 9-7 for example.

Is this actually fact? We know Philbin in fact lied that he wanted to draft Carr? I thought this actually happened.

Where is the article or link that corroborates that Philbin lied?
It's in the fact that no one ever corroborated the bullshit he spun after being kicked to the curb before or since, trying to paint himself as being victimized by Tannehill when all the while he did what he could to undermine him with worthless Sherman and his dolt Son In Law

... yep, no one associated with him or the team...and that includes his butt buddy Sherman. But if you want to believe him because it feeds your OCD, knock yourself out but save up for the shiny bridge I will be offering you on the cheap.

Congemi asked Ireland about how he feels about the progression of their "big time player" at quarterback, Ryan Tannehill. "Well, I think he's done a great job this year. Obviously, he's got 35 starts under his belt to this day, and that's huge because, the axiom you go by in scouting is you like to see a quarterback have 30 starts under his belt before he's ready to play. We kind of violated that, our principle or axiom, by drafting a player that didn't have those starts.
Agler then asked why the team decided to break their philosophy and draft Tannehill, despite the less than 30 starts (Tannehill had 19 career starts at quarterback with Texas A&M). "Really, it was just about Ryan and how he presented himself," Ireland explained. "He was really, really smart, poised beyond his years, mature beyond his years. Sometimes, it's not the starts, it's the composure, the poise, how smart he is, how quickly he's going to pick things up. The fact that he had been in the quarterback room, for all those years, even though he was playing receiver, he was going through all those meetings. And then, obviously, we hire a guy in Mike Sherman that was with him.so you had a lot of things going in the right direction for Ryan.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2013/2...reland-we-violated-our-axiom-to-draft-qb-ryan

I don't think you need draft qb every yr. dolphins will need draft a qb this yr or next yr. for future.
I feel that dolphins have not been good at developing player. so it importance for them to draft one of top 4 qb. because it easier to develop 1 rd than 5 rd pick in most of case. at qb position

Gase said the exact same thing last year and then we didn’t draft one

Yes we have a period of time in the RT career that if the stars align and all groups are somewhat in sync that RT can win games. The whole point the anti RT crowd is making is that WHEN everything isn’t ideal, and all groups are not getting it done, RT cannot lift the franchise and put the Team on his shoulders to victory. He can not overcome the deficiencies and WILL his team. A dynamic and higher caliber QB could do this. Which leads to more wins when a group is not performing. Even 1-2 more wins in a season is HUGE when you factor in playoffs. 8-8 to 9-7 for example.

I think you are exaggerating the quality of the team in 2016. It wasn't ideal. It was simply less shitty. The 2016 Dolphins were NOT the 2017 Eagles. Not even close. Put Wentz on the 2016 Dolphins and they are a 10-6 team. Put Tannehill on the 2017 Eagles and they are a 13-3 team.

Back
Top Bottom