General NCAA thread | Page 69 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

General NCAA thread

It's damn shame Bob Stoops turned down FSU.* I would have loved to see him there, as Louisville fan. It's bizarre that he turned it down though, he's not going to get offered anything better.

FSU better think twice about PJ Fleck. Can Fleck recruit Florida? He seems to me like a Big Ten lifer. You have to be sure to match up the coach's recruiting area with your school's recruiting area. After Bobby spent his first stint here recruiting Florida, Steve Kragthorpe came in and ditched all that to try and recruit Texas. It didn't go well. Charlie Strong's bread and butter was Florida. He left here for Austin thinking he'd just continue to recruit Florida and just add a few Texas kids. When he got there the administration and boosters basically said, "nah son, we recruit Texas here". He had to start from scratch and it didn't work out well.

*Bob Stoops in a mediocre coach that's only marginally better than the coach they just fired. So genuinely I hoped FSU would hire him so he could spin their wheels for 3 or 4 more years while our rebuild took place.
New coaches go through having to make new relationships in high schools and communities they move to. Don't see that as a game stopper. Charlie Strong wasn't accepted by Texas Boosters and was run out of town. They wanted Tom Hermann and eventually got him. I'm tickled pink to see Texas and Hermann failing because I liked Charlie and thought he got a raw deal.

Fleck is winning with 3 star talent. I think he's a solid coach that is smart enough to hire guys that will help him recruit Florida.

New coaches go through having to make new relationships in high schools and communities they move to. Don't see that as a game stopper. Charlie Strong wasn't accepted by Texas Boosters and was run out of town. They wanted Tom Hermann and eventually got him. I'm tickled pink to see Texas and Hermann failing because I liked Charlie and thought he got a raw deal.

Fleck is winning with 3 star talent. I think he's a solid coach that is smart enough to hire guys that will help him recruit Florida.

It reminds me of how Rich Rod alienated Michigan high schools when he got to Ann Arbor to try and get Florida Speed and in doing so he struggled getting some good Michigan players to stay in state. Brady Hoke then started to improve it and Harbaugh has now made it so that if you are a Michigan player and you dont go to Michigan, the Wolverines were not interested

Reactions: MD
Just saw that Memphis is an 11.5 point favorite over Cincinnati Friday. Memphis is ranked 17 and Cincinnati 18. I find this spread odd.

Looks like Rutgers gave into pressure and got the Greg Schiano deal done.

Boston College fired Steve Addazio. Not an easy place to win, but the people in charge wanted someone with more fire and a more modern approach. Sounds like they're pursuing Al Washington from Ohio State and formerly Michigan. I believe he is an alumni from there and has been an assistant there in the past. Rumors are if he gets the job Don Brown will go back to BC with him (wounds from the Ohio State game still a bit fresh but sounds like a change of scenery is wanted from both Brown and Michigan)

Matt Luke fired from Ole Miss... honestly a bad hire and Luke was over his head. Sounds like they're going to make a hard push for Mike Norvell since he's right up the road.

Barry Odoms fired by Mizzou. losing streak cost him just as last year's winning streak saved him. Another guy that was just not ready to be a head coach.

Charlie Strong out at USF. Good first year and then it went down hill quick. Sounds like Willie Taggart may return

Conflicting reports from USC but sounds like Clay Helton may be out. Sounds though if he stays he may lose his OC as Graham Harrell is being pursued by Texas (as is Joe Brady)

Other jobs opened include UNLV, New Mexico, Texas-San Antonio, and Old Dominion

I would love Fleck, but I don't know if he would take the FSU job and if FSU can get the money to pay him.

Norvell feels like the front runner for the job...young, wants a chance to coach st a power 5 school, and will not be as expensive as Fleck or Campbell.

Out of nowhere Chris Petersen announced he is stepping down as Washington HC after the bowl game. Jimmy Lake the DC will be the new coach.

I think this is a family decision based on the health of his daughter

Out of nowhere Chris Petersen announced he is stepping down as Washington HC after the bowl game. Jimmy Lake the DC will be the new coach.

I think this is a family decision based on the health of his daughter
His son had cancer too not too long ago...

That said...I'd be all for giving Diaz another year at UM, letting him fall on his face, shitcanning him, and then throwing the Brinks truck at Peterson after the season. Dude's one hell of a good coach.

Anyone check out the Dolphins media gaming video which somehow gets Christian Wilkins' Clemson Tigers vs Chris Lammons playing NCAA 2019 football on the xbox.

How is this even possible on such a commercial platform as the dolphins.com channel?

Surprised not more has been made of this as there seems to be a large appetite for EA to bring back NCAA on the xbox or ps4, pending the NCAA relaxing their outdated rules on player image rights.

Got to say the modded version of this game they are playing looks great fun.

Just saw that Memphis is an 11.5 point favorite over Cincinnati Friday. Memphis is ranked 17 and Cincinnati 18. I find this spread odd.

That is strange. They did play last week and Memphis won by 10 when UC fell apart in 4th. Was a close game until then. UC gets its starting QB back for this game. My co-worker's son went to UC and they are all going down to the game in Memphis. Might have to take those points.

You can take FSU (Norvell) and Ole Miss (Kiffin) off that list.
What s your thought on kiffin to ole miss. I'm pretty surprised. I thought he'd end up at a lil more prestigious school. Also ole miss is going to be just as hard to get to cfp as fau.

What s your thought on kiffin to ole miss. I'm pretty surprised. I thought he'd end up at a lil more prestigious school. Also ole miss is going to be just as hard to get to cfp as fau.

Lane to Ole Miss is a good fit for me... better than Arkansas at least. For all of his faults Lane is a very good recruiter and a good offensive mind. The hire of Matt Luke was always an emotional one and I think he was ultimately in way over his head.

I dont think Lane is going to turn Ole Miss into a power house, but they should be a consistent bowl team that will occasionally contend for an SEC championship game.

Norvell is a good young coach that has some questions about recruiting. Very good offensive mind though and I think he will do well at Florida State.

Just a couple rumors...

The people running the Mizzou search have recommended Arkanas State head coach Blake Anderson for the position. At this time it does not sound like the board of directors are supportive of that.

Arkansas search has been a mess. There is talk they'll just remove the interim tag from Barry Luney or that they could look at Butch Jones... both of which could result in the AD getting fired. The name to watch here is still App State coach Eli Drinkwics

Although I hate to think of FSU football without Odell Haggins, do you think he interviews for any of these positions? I thunk he's more than qualified for a head coaching job. He's been very competent as an interim.

Back
Top Bottom