Georgetown beats Duke 87-84 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Georgetown beats Duke 87-84

GreenMonster said:
I have heard it all now.. Many of you guys are slipping on the new #1 team in the country UCONN. With Marcus Williams back running the show, we will be a beast of a team come tourney time. We made Syracuse look very average on Big Mon. and we didn't even play very well.

For all of you Duke lovers, Uconn has been the better basketball program of the last 10 years.

You're being too modest; they made the 'Cuse look downright terrible, in the Loud House no less. That game was 88-80 and could have easily been about 100-70. UConn shut it down early in the second half and the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. If I had to bet on a national champ now, I'd probably put my cash on Connecticut.

This is not a good year for SU. One and done in the NCAA tourney. Hopefully those hotshot recruiting classes they've got lined up will get things back on track. Through no fault of his own, I think this team will be better once Gerry McNamara graduates. They've become WAY too reliant on him to do everything. If I had a nickel for every time I saw Roberts and Watkins standing around idly watching McNamara try to create a shot for himself, I'd be a wealthy man. (And if I had a dime for every time those two committed a completely useless foul, I could probably buy a small Central American nation and declare myself dictator for life.)

And yes, I'm off topic and don't care at all. I'm still simmering over SU's pathetic effort last night against Villanova.

byroan said:
They won't win the whole tourney. They don't have the depth to win it all. They also have to rely on one shooter. If MSU can continue to improve their defense, I think they'll win it all.

They had to rely on JJ because Shelden Williams was in foul trouble the whole game, Greg Paulus caught down syndrome for two hours, and no one else could hit an open shot.

That usually doesn't happen. The next time Shelden Williams only scores 4 points, I'll send you $100.

UCONN and MSU are very good, and I would expect them to be there in the Final Four right along with Duke.

Josh McRoberts still has not gotten comfortable in his role. He is not aggressive enough on offense. He is good at crashing the boards though. By tourney time, he'll be playing very well. Watch.

Also, you have to keep in mind Duke's best perimeter defender, Demarcus Nelson, is still hurt. All those cuts and slashes that Georgetown made yesterday would have been slowed down by Demarcus. He'll be back in a week or two.

phunwin said:
You're being too modest; they made the 'Cuse look downright terrible, in the Loud House no less. That game was 88-80 and could have easily been about 100-70. UConn shut it down early in the second half and the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. If I had to bet on a national champ now, I'd probably put my cash on Connecticut.

This is not a good year for SU. One and done in the NCAA tourney. Hopefully those hotshot recruiting classes they've got lined up will get things back on track. Through no fault of his own, I think this team will be better once Gerry McNamara graduates. They've become WAY too reliant on him to do everything. If I had a nickel for every time I saw Roberts and Watkins standing around idly watching McNamara try to create a shot for himself, I'd be a wealthy man. (And if I had a dime for every time those two committed a completely useless foul, I could probably buy a small Central American nation and declare myself dictator for life.)

And yes, I'm off topic and don't care at all. I'm still simmering over SU's pathetic effort last night against Villanova.

SU has one of the top 2 or 3 recruits in teh country coming in next year (Paul Harris). Then the following year they have 4 studs coming in. Recruiting class ranked #1 or 2 depending on who you read. We will be back!

MikeO said:
That game shows the strength of the Big East from top to bottom. 10 teams in the NCAA might be much, but I think 9 is a lock. 10 wouldn't surprise!
true story. Big east > rest of college basketball.

MikeO said:
SU has one of the top 2 or 3 recruits in teh country coming in next year (Paul Harris). Then the following year they have 4 studs coming in. Recruiting class ranked #1 or 2 depending on who you read. We will be back!
Good to see other Cuse fans around here. :)

MikeO said:
That game shows the strength of the Big East from top to bottom. 10 teams in the NCAA might be much, but I think 9 is a lock. 10 wouldn't surprise!

No it doesn't, it's a fluky win at home. That doesn't show us anything about the BE. Outside of WV, UConn and 'Nova the BE is all mediocre. it's probably the best conf but it's not as strong as it should be w/ so many teams.

Duke coulda won it at the end

They could have but JJ was typical JJ under pressure. he had a great game overall but missed a few open 3's late and took some terrible shots.

Do I have to tell you what UNC is ranked?? ...Oh wait, they are NOT! Oops.

Actually as of right now w are, when the polls come out later we won't be but as of now we are and do I have to remind you the Heels are defending National Champions?

Besides, Duke is going to win it all this year.

Not w/ JJ as your go to guy.

I'm definitely having WV in my sleeper category for my bracket this year.

I think they are going to be picked by alot of people and I see them going out by rd 2.

The Big East is so much better than the ACC its not even funny. It's great to see.

It's just 1 year, it happens every once in a while but in most years the ACC is better and that will continue no matter how many teams the BE brings in. Let's not forget all the talent that left early including 4 from the best team in the Country.

We made Syracuse look very average on Big Mon. and we didn't even play very well.

That might be b/c SU is very average.

nyjunc said:
No it doesn't, it's a fluky win at home. That doesn't show us anything about the BE. Outside of WV, UConn and 'Nova the BE is all mediocre. it's probably the best conf but it's not as strong as it should be w/ so many teams.
Seton Hall (mid to lower level BE team) goes to NC STATE (ranked #14 overall) and wins by 20!!!!

The BE conference is strong TOP to BOTTOM! No cupcakes anywhere!

MikeO said:
Seton Hall (mid to lower level BE team) goes to NC STATE (ranked #14 overall) and wins by 20!!!!

Those are my BOYS. Kelly Whitney and Donald Copeland are two very solid players, we have some talent, we just aren't very consistent.

Watch out for Paul Gause, the freshman guard, that kid is going to be a hell of a player. We got Syracuse on Sunday in the Carrier Dome, a winnable game. For the first time in a while, I have confidence that we can beat some teams on the road.

Looking at the rest of our schedule, we can very easily win 8-9 games in the Big East after most thought this would be a down year. I'll admit I was very much down on Louis Orr, but if he can coax 9 BE wins out of this Hall team, he has done a great job.

MikeO said:

The BE is by far the strongest conference. Can the BE get 10 teams in this year..? I don't think so but, its possible.

nyjunc said:

First off, where's Pittsburgh? If they're mediocre, then the ACC sucks.

Probably the best conference? It's definitely the best conference in college basketball, and that's not even debatable. Followed by the Big 10 then the ACC.

The way I see it, the only legitimate team the ACC has is Duke. BC sucks, they'll be overrated by the time the tournament rolls around like they are every year. Then they'll proceed to lose in the first round to Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Seton Hall proved that NCST simply isn't very good (can you say ZERO inside presence? Simmons was shut down by a mediocre, at best, center rotation). If they aren't hitting their 3's, they look average VERY quickly, much like West Virginia. That happens to be one of the reasons I'm not high on the Mountaineers either, but that's for another discussion.

It says something when the annual punching bag of the Big East, Miami, makes the transition to the ACC and actually makes some noise in their first year.

MikeO said:

Stop it was a lucky game, SH still stinks. NC State is a top ACC team but w/ the ACC very down they are not a great team.

Does it mean Conf USA is strong top to bottom since 9th place marshall beat West Va? of course not, it was just a fluky win.

First off, where's Pittsburgh? If they're mediocre, then the ACC sucks.

Pitt's only quality wins are against overrated BE teams(UL and SU). They ALWAYS have a great reg season and flamed out quickly in the Tourney b/c they play such a weak non-conf sched then beat up on all the bad BE teams(as many good teams as there are there ar just as many bad teams) to inflate their record.

There's no doubt the BE is better than the ACC this year(it's one of those very rare years) but stop acting like this is '85 BE.

The way I see it, the only legitimate team the ACC has is Duke. BC sucks, they'll be overrated by the time the tournament rolls around like they are every year. Then they'll proceed to lose in the first round to Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I agre and the BE ahs 2 legit title contenders in 'Nova and UConn. By the way BC is mid of the pack so far in the ACC yet they won the BE reg season title last year(shared it).

It says something when the annual punching bag of the Big East, Miami, makes the transition to the ACC and actually makes some noise in their first year.

Miami was a good team fro a few years making the Tourney so they were not the annual punching bag this decade and they had a very young team as did va tech. I think it says something that BC wins the BE reg season title last year then comes to the ACC in a down year and already has 3 ACC losses.

nyjunc said:
Stop it was a lucky game, SH still stinks. NC State is a top ACC team but w/ the ACC very down they are not a great team.

There's no doubt the BE is better than the ACC this year(it's one of those very rare years) but stop acting like this is '85 BE.

Yeah Seton Hall stinks, they only beat the **** out of NC State in their own house. They're miserable. I'll be the first to admit, they are very inconsistent, but stinks is alittle harsh. They are a mediocre Big East team.

And the BE is better than the ACC, thank you, that's all I was waiting to hear.

Back
Top Bottom