Gesicki, Will he be part of Flo future plan? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gesicki, Will he be part of Flo future plan?

Imo he simply can’t do that, play In line that is..he just doesn’t have the balance or coordination to block..worst I’ve seen actually..

but man when he goes up and extends there isn’t a defender in the NFL that can compete..
After next season, if he is not happy with dolphins offer, he can sign with any team. We will get nothing back.
If Long shows promise in camp, I wouldn't surprised Flo trade him for future picks.

I'm not sure where Miami stands on Mike Gesicki. It can go either way. Some Miami media types think he'll be resigned, other don't. The drafting of Hunter Long doesn't bode well for either Gesicki or Smythe. Although Smythe's blocking ability and short area receiving ability could keep him around. I saw a tweet earlier in the year, saying Miami was close to extending Smythe, but never saw anything after.

It appears Flores is reshaping the TE position, in spite of the best overall production, the 2020 TE group In Miami, produced in quite some time.

They seem gun shy about dolling out big contracts and Gesicki seems to be out the door after 2021, if not sooner?

He could start with breaking a tackle he had 0 broken tackles last year while a midget like Jakeem Grant had 9 and Lynn Bowden had 6. He could also work on getting some more YAC. Definitely has room for improvement despite the bulk stats.
You expect everyone to be gronk? Show me some data of tight ends with broken tackles?

I doubt it to be honest. Gesofty probably plays the game to soft for Flo, and I agree. Can't block, can't break a tackle, very minimum YAC. Basically a good role player that we should get what value we can for, and let our playmakers get those reps.

Long may not be as athletic, but he has savy. Have your outside guys take some heat off and watch Long produce.

Well with the way we operate the better question is which players are safe other than rookies ?

Seems obvious to me with the TE signings/drafting and their make-up that the team will trade or cut Gesicki when the time is right. He's no Mike Evans.

I don't see why not, unless Gesicki becomes really unreasonable in contract talks to where they know he just isn't worth his asking price.
I can't see that happening but I guess we'll see as the offseason progresses and if there are any reports on it.

I fear a bad contract extension on the way from Miami. He may be one of the most overrated players in awhile in Dolphins fan's eyes.

Sad to see McCain go. He is the team captain. He called out signals and had everyone properly set. He is not spectacular, but he is reliable. Flo let him go because of money saving.

Now look at Gesicke. Look at the tape, he lines up outside 65% of the time as a receiver. Now we have Waddle for that role. Only 35% in line as tradition TE. He is our only depth thread. When we want to go down deep in the middle, we sent him middle deep. And please, do not mention Grand.

Now with Long, he had the most reception coming out of college, more than Pitts. He can line up inline as blocker and can also release to route as traditional TE. And we just signed Blount for depth.

So look, Flo values money, and Gesicke is due for a big contract. And Flo picked an all around TE, and signed another one for depth. I think if Long shows promise in camp, I would not surprised Flo would trade Gesicke while he commands the highest value. May be even a top 2nd or low 1st.
JMHO but no way they pay MG big time, cap altering money. They will trade him.

They’re certainly filling the facility with TEs. One begins to wonder...

I think Miami would trade Gesicki for a decent price, or they'll just let him walk in 2022. He's not a particularly versatile player, and he is clogging spots that should go to Fuller, Waddle, and Parker. Maybe he makes a major leap as an in-line TE in 2021 and changes all that, but, at this point, his skillset does not appear to mesh well with the direction of the offense. That doesn't mean he's bad. He's just not so good that you bend over backwards to find him reps in front of the WR's. As a rotational player, he's really good.
This is exactly what has been on my mind lately. Which direction is our offense trying to go? With the addition of Long, are we trying to compliment Gesicki or replace him?

Only reason to get rid of Mike G is money, and the only reason he will command big bucks is because he's balling out and therefore we should keep him. He's an extremely talented player who plays a bit soft at times, but you can't teach those hands and vertical separation, plus the great speed. I hope we keep Mike G for a long time and by drafting a 5 '10 WR @ 6 overall, I think we will.

Back
Top Bottom