Give Me Gesicki | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Me Gesicki

I'm so happy for Tannehill! If you go back and watch his season with the TE Cameron you see the potential and how much drops/non-plays Cameron didn't make.

I mean balls hit him in the hands and he didn't catch them.

Both of them, with broken legs, are better than JT. And Gesicki's threat will help the run game and other receivers. What I can't find is how 'bad' is his blocking? Nonexistent or just 'average bad?'

I'm curious about that as well. How bad is it really?

Terrible or decent?

Are we talking about Egnew level blocking or Charles Clay or Dion Sims?

I love this pick!! We may have found our pro bowl TE of the future
with this athletic freak and his mismatch abilities.

The only caveat I have is that rookie tight ends
rarely have great production their first season

The best rookie tight ends in the last 5 seasons
average 46 receptions in their first season(which I would be happy with)

The second best over that 5 year period dropped to 32 receptions average
3rd best...27 receptions avg
4th best...22 receptions avg
5th best...18 receptions avg

Here's hoping Gesicki is the #1 rookie tight end in the NFL
He sure does have the ability

Hell yea Gesicki looks like the real deal has the attitude and the skills plus the athleticism to be better than Gronk, seriously. I wasn't aware of this dude till draft night and I had my sights set on D.Goedert but without a doubt this is the best TE of the two and draft! He just needs to block better he'll mean nothing on offense if he can't hold a block and let pressure into the backfield. But I'm really excited about this pick and D.Smythe in the 4th, should be a great 1-2 punch. Plus, this dude can behind the back dunk.. Gronk can barely slam it on the goalpost! lmao. Go get him TD's Ryan, No excuses for Mr.Tannehill!

Here is a draft analysis video of Mike Gesicki against Michigan. What I encourage you to look at is his blocking. While it is not good, it is being commented on as if it is non-existant or as if he simply has no ability to block. I noted 8 attempted blocks in the run game and 1 in the passing game in this clip. In this video Gesicki was successful in 5 of his 8 run blocks, with his lack of success being attributable to lack of effort IMHO. He was successful in his one pass protection.

My belief is that Gesicki's lack of run blocking prowess stems from a lack of urgency. The closer he is to the play, the better he blocks. When the play is designed to go away from him, he does not put in as much effort, leading to his man easily disengaging, and sometimes making the play after shedding the block. I contend that with proper coaching, he will understand the need to have that urgency, and with practice he will become a much improved blocker in the run game. He already has the ability and more desire in pass protection.

Here is a draft analysis video of Mike Gesicki against Michigan. What I encourage you to look at is his blocking. While it is not good, it is being commented on as if it is non-existant or as if he simply has no ability to block. I noted 8 attempted blocks in the run game and 1 in the passing game in this clip. In this video Gesicki was successful in 5 of his 8 run blocks, with his lack of success being attributable to lack of effort IMHO. He was successful in his one pass protection.

My belief is that Gesicki's lack of run blocking prowess stems from a lack of urgency. The closer he is to the play, the better he blocks. When the play is designed to go away from him, he does not put in as much effort, leading to his man easily disengaging, and sometimes making the play after shedding the block. I contend that with proper coaching, he will understand the need to have that urgency, and with practice he will become a much improved blocker in the run game. He already has the ability and more desire in pass protection.

Here are the times of the blocks:
0:19, 0:42, 2:21, 2:37, 3:08 & 3:18 better angle replay, 3:59, 4:22, 5:02. The good blocks are in Aqua and the bad blocks are in Orange.

There are also a couple of highlight catches by Gesicki at 0:35 and 3:03 and he jumps over his QB in celebration at 3:17 if you are interested.

Last edited:
I've been acquainted with Mike Gesicki since he was a high school senior. Let me share a little story with you about him (forgive me if it was posted elsewhere and I missed it).

When Gesicki signed with Penn State, he was going to join a really highly-rated kid named Adam Brenneman in Bill O'Brien's tight end heavy passing offense. Injuries sidetracked Brenneman's career, and Gesicki got onto the field a lot more earlier than probably was expected.

Early on, he had a horrible time with drops. And he took a beating over it from the fans and the press. And he deserved some of it. It was to a point of like watching Chuck Knoblauch not be able to throw from second base to first. It clearly was in his head.

Gesicki, to his credit, owned every bit of it. He came out and met with the media and answered every question, and he never showed anger or resentment about it, or frustration. I've done some coaching, and that's the first step in being around a winner -- he expected more from himself than the watchers did, so he never had a problem with outside expectations.

His last couple of years at Penn State, you probably could count his drops on one hand. He caught anything near him. He high-pointed the ball. Teams geared to stop him and couldn't. He not only overcame his demons, but he probably exceeded what could have been expected of him, especially considering what he went through.

I'm not worried about his blocking. I think he's a better blocker than he gets credit for, and I don't know how much he'll be asked to do of that. What I do know is he'll work hard to make himself at least capable in that area, and he'll be such an unusual threat as a receiver that he'll open up a lot of things for other players. Barring some kind of injury problems, the Dolphins got both an elite talent and high-end character in their first two picks, and that's a great place to start turning around a franchise.

“If a team played man, your tight end is gonna get a safety or a linebacker on him and all the corners are gonna go over there and match up on the receivers,” Smith explains. “The tight end has to be talented enough to win that. That has to be a match up you want, depending on the team you’re playing. There’s probably not many of those match-ups that we don’t look at as favorable with Kelce. He’s that kind of player.”

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/07/13/nfl-tight-end-use-travis-kelce-rob-gronkowski-greg-olsen

Can't wait to see the Y-Iso with 3 WR's stacked to one side and Gesicki out on the other.

Also looking forward to more play action out of 12 personnel.

New England picked one pick after us and immediately traded out after we picked Gesicki. I am fairly convinced they were going to take it and have him as Gronk replacement whenever he decides to retire. Gronk and Gesicki would've been unfair to the league in the red zone.

he needs time to develop. He'll cap out at like 4-500 yards this year, maybe 4-5 td's but will definitely flash. In 1-2 years, I think he'll be good. Near all pro level.

Back
Top Bottom