Gotta be honest..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gotta be honest.....

The clock stopped way before the ref signaled.

No, it didn't. Do you agree that the clock should have stopped when the whistle blew? If yes, then you are whining over 4-tenths of a second. From the time he enters the field of play to the time the whistle blows is only 6.3 seconds. There was 2:06 on the clock when the play started, which means 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock would read 2:01. That is exactly what happened. You are whining over 4-tenths when the whistle blew. We know the official was signaling the play dead at least 2-tenths before he blew the whistle, and it is clear that he had possession and was down by contact at least 4-tenths before the whistle blew.

Waving of the arm and whistle were almost simultaneous, not three seconds apart.

Who said anything about 3 seconds apart? I said at least 2-tenths and you said 1/4 of a second which is 2.5 tenths. So, we agree on at least 2-tenths of a second.

No its not. We are talking about when the clock stops. I could care less what happened before that.

You already agreed that the clock started when it should have, and we know how long the play took until the whistle blew. (6.3 seconds) If the clock reads 2:06, and the whistle blew 6.3 seconds after the clock started, it is impossible for the whistle to have come 2-3 seconds after the clock had stopped and the clock to read 2:01. Even if it stopped as soon as it turned to 2:01, the most it could be is 1.3 seconds. 6.3 seconds minus 5 seconds (2:06 to 2:01) = 1.3 seconds.

I already proved that we know it didn't stop as soon as it hit 2:01 because it immediately changed to 2:00 on the next play.

Again, a whistle is what calls the play dead. Without a whistle, players don't know if play is dead. The whistle blew three seconds after the clock had stopped. Maybe the clock didn't stop on 2:01. Maybe it stopped at 2:00:20. Then the whistle blew TWO seconds after.

We are not talking about the players. We are talking about when the game clock operator is supposed to stop the clock. He is looking for the officials signal, not listening for a whistle. Did you not read the quote from the rule book that I posted?

We know the clock stopped closer to 2:00:10 (It would actually be 2:01.01 since the clock is counting backwards, but I know what you mean) by watching the next play when it immediately changes to 2:00. This means that the clock can stop after 5.9 seconds and still read 2:01. You can hear the whistle blow at 6.3 seconds. 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 0.4 seconds. Not 2 or 3 seconds like you keep saying.

Wrong again. We were never arguing over two tenths of a second.

We absolutely are. The clock read 2:06 and we heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds. That is 4-tenths away from the clock reading 2:01. We saw the official waving his arms at least 2-tenths before that, so you are really whining over 2-tenths of a second. It is easy to tell that he had possession and was down by contact long before the whistle came, but even if you want to take it to the whistle, the clock stopped only 4-tenths of a second before the whistle blew. 4-tenths is not getting screwed like you guys keep whining about.

You are wrong again. Let me prove it to you in ur words. If the play took 6.3 seconds then from 2:06:00 minus 6:3 seconds is 1:59:70.

If the clocks shows 2:01, does it mean it might be 2:00:2? As in 2 tenths of a second away from 2 minute warning?
If yes, then 2:06 can be anywhere between 2:05:01 to 2:06:00. Agreed? Now do the math and deduct 6.3 seconds from 2:06, the most time remaining on that sixth second possible. You also have to consider the operators reaction time, which is about one tenth of a second to say the least so even the 5.9 second bs is wrong.

No, I am not wrong, and no we don't agree. You made a critical error. 2:06 could potentially be anywhere from 2:06.01 to 2:06.99. If it was at 2:06:00, the clock would have immediately changed to 2:05 as soon as he enters the field of play on the KO return. You are trying to skip a full second.

2:06.99 minus 6.3 seconds is 2:00.69, which is 4-tenths away from the clock reading 2:01. We know it was 2:06.99 by watching the play before the KO fumble. It was the Jets FG attempt to tie the game. The clock was at 2:11 before the attempt, and the official is giving the signal as soon as it changes to 2:06. The football actually hits the back of the net at the end of the 2:07.00 mark. So we know there should be 2:06.99 on the clock for the next play. That means 5.9 seconds can easily pass and the clock would still read 2:01. We heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds, so again, the difference is only 4-tenths of a second when we heard the whistle.

We already know that the play was being signaled dead before we heard the whistle, so again we are actually talking about 2-tenths of a second.

Either way you slice, 3 seconds can not be cut down to .2 to .4 seconds u claim.

This is proven to be incorrect above. It is 2-tenths, and it is impossible for it to be 3 seconds.

Yes, hes not in the screen, but when he waves his hand, its easy to tell he was right there just outside the visible area and the moment he waved his hand, it showed up in the screen. You have to use judgement, which I know you won't cuz ur stuck with ur made up 4 tenths of a second bs.

How is it easy to tell when we can not see him? How do we know he was just outside the visible area and not further away? There is nothing made up about 4-tenths. What is made up is the 2-3 seconds you keep saying. Get a stop watch and time the play for yourself. I have no faith in you coming up with the correct time, but it is 6.3 seconds to the time we actually hear the whistle. There was 2:06.99 on the clock and 5.9 of it ran off. 6.3 minus 5.9 = .04.

Yes, there is more than enough evidence to prove the clock should have stopped at 1:59 to say the least. Here is the proof. Watch the replay of the recovery from another angle. You will see the Jets player didn't have full control of the ball when the returner touched him. The angle you can see this is shown after Jets first down play when clock stops at 1:56 for the 2-min warning.

It is impossible for the clock to have reached 1:59 when it started at 2:06 and we heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds. I'm not saying he had possession and was ruled down as soon as the clock turned to 2:01. I am saying that it was well in to the 2:01 second (2:01.10 counting down right before it was going to change to 2:00) when possession was determined. This shot is a 5.5 seconds:

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/8266/kickoff3e.jpg

He clearly has possession at that point and is touched down. The clock would still read 2:01 at that point. The clock operator still has another 4-tenths of a second after that shot to stop the clock and it would still read 2:01. You can't honestly tell me that if NE had stripped the ball away after the above photo, that you would not be arguing that he already had possession and was touched down. You know you would be, and I would as well because it is easy to tell.

I never said players reaction is what should be considered a PI. But if PI truly occurred, the WR will ask for a flag...generally speaking. A few plays later, the same player was begging for a flag against the same defender. I wonder why he was begging for the flag on that play and not on one of the most crucial play of that drive? And u agreeing with Junc has no meaning. WVDolphin agrees with me, does that mean me and him are also correct? How can two people have different view of the same play, yet both be right? You don't make any sense when u say junc agrees with u so you must be right. You should visit theganggreen.com and see how many of us disagree with Junc on several things.

I have no idea what goes through a players mind. I do know the rules and what I see though. It was PI. Me and Junc agreeing that it was pass interference is meaningless. I only said that because Junc is a big Jets fan. He has no reason to say it was PI if it was not. You as a bias Jets fan do. Me and Junc and you and WV can not all be right. Obviously, you and WV are wrong. :chuckle:

You still fail to get the point. Point is, Jets had every opportunity to win that game. They couldn't. Refs made some bad calls, but they were not the reason Jets lost.

I fully understand that point and said the same thing many times. That is not what I am debating. I am debating that the correct calls were made. I don't like to hear whining and claims of getting screwed when they are simply not true.

No, it didn't. Do you agree that the clock should have stopped when the whistle blew? If yes, then you are whining over 4-tenths of a second. From the time he enters the field of play to the time the whistle blows is only 6.3 seconds. There was 2:06 on the clock when the play started, which means 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock would read 2:01. That is exactly what happened. You are whining over 4-tenths when the whistle blew. We know the official was signaling the play dead at least 2-tenths before he blew the whistle, and it is clear that he had possession and was down by contact at least 4-tenths before the whistle blew.

No and no, and Im not gonna continue to be repetitive.

Who said anything about 3 seconds apart? I said at least 2-tenths and you said 1/4 of a second which is 2.5 tenths. So, we agree on at least 2-tenths of a second.

YOU are whining over the tenths of this and tenths of that. not me. Im claiming seconds.

You already agreed that the clock started when it should have, and we know how long the play took until the whistle blew. (6.3 seconds) If the clock reads 2:06, and the whistle blew 6.3 seconds after the clock started, it is impossible for the whistle to have come 2-3 seconds after the clock had stopped and the clock to read 2:01. Even if it stopped as soon as it turned to 2:01, the most it could be is 1.3 seconds. 6.3 seconds minus 5 seconds (2:06 to 2:01) = 1.3 seconds.

Whistle comes at 6.9 seconds, now that I have the game on my pc and playing it on VLC. 6.3 seconds is ur figure.

We are not talking about the players. We are talking about when the game clock operator is supposed to stop the clock. He is looking for the officials signal, not listening for a whistle. Did you not read the quote from the rule book that I posted?

How do u know he wasn't listening for the whistle and only looking for the signal?

We know the clock stopped closer to 2:00:10 (It would actually be 2:01.01 since the clock is counting backwards, but I know what you mean) by watching the next play when it immediately changes to 2:00. This means that the clock can stop after 5.9 seconds and still read 2:01. You can hear the whistle blow at 6.3 seconds. 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 0.4 seconds. Not 2 or 3 seconds like you keep saying.

Wrong. 15:00 means the clock can be anywhere between 14:59:01-15:00:00. It doesn't mean it has between 15:00:00 to 15:00:99, obviously. Just look at any first play of any quarter. Clock doesn't tick to 14:59 until after a second. 14:59 means the clock less than 14 minutes and 59 seconds left on the clock. 2:06 means the clock is anywhere between 2:05:01 to 2:06:00. So deduct the 6.3 you claim (or the 6.1 from where the ref indicates the signal) and you have a 2 min warning. I counted 6.9 seconds till the whistle. Add in the reaction time and u have 7 full seconds. Compare that against the 5 seconds the clock ticked down and u have yourself a 2 second difference, the same difference I continued to talk about (2-3 seconds).

We absolutely are. The clock read 2:06 and we heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds. That is 4-tenths away from the clock reading 2:01. We saw the official waving his arms at least 2-tenths before that, so you are really whining over 2-tenths of a second. It is easy to tell that he had possession and was down by contact long before the whistle came, but even if you want to take it to the whistle, the clock stopped only 4-tenths of a second before the whistle blew. 4-tenths is not getting screwed like you guys keep whining about.

Read above. Im not whining. I already agreed that the Jets had their chances to win and that the bad call there wasn't the reason they lost.

No, I am not wrong, and no we don't agree. You made a critical error. 2:06 could potentially be anywhere from 2:06.01 to 2:06.99. If it was at 2:06:00, the clock would have immediately changed to 2:05 as soon as he enters the field of play on the KO return. You are trying to skip a full second.

Wrong, because 15:00 doesn't potentially mean from 15:00:01 to 15:00:99 in the NFL, although any countdown clock will disagree with it.

2:06.99 minus 6.3 seconds is 2:00.69, which is 4-tenths away from the clock reading 2:01. We know it was 2:06.99 by watching the play before the KO fumble. It was the Jets FG attempt to tie the game. The clock was at 2:11 before the attempt, and the official is giving the signal as soon as it changes to 2:06. The football actually hits the back of the net at the end of the 2:07.00 mark. So we know there should be 2:06.99 on the clock for the next play. That means 5.9 seconds can easily pass and the clock would still read 2:01. We heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds, so again, the difference is only 4-tenths of a second when we heard the whistle.

The ball crossed the goal post as soon as clock read 2:07. What took the operator to wait an entire second before hitting the stop button? The usual reaction time of looking at the refs signal or whistle.

The rest of the entire theory is just proven wrong above about clock potentially being 2:06:99.

We already know that the play was being signaled dead before we heard the whistle, so again we are actually talking about 2-tenths of a second.

No, we are still talking about much more than a second.

This is proven to be incorrect above. It is 2-tenths, and it is impossible for it to be 3 seconds.

Repetitive.

How is it easy to tell when we can not see him? How do we know he was just outside the visible area and not further away? There is nothing made up about 4-tenths. What is made up is the 2-3 seconds you keep saying. Get a stop watch and time the play for yourself. I have no faith in you coming up with the correct time, but it is 6.3 seconds to the time we actually hear the whistle. There was 2:06.99 on the clock and 5.9 of it ran off. 6.3 minus 5.9 = .04.

Repetitive, and because judging by refs signal, he was not running towards the play. He was either standing still, or moving slowly towards the new LoS (moving alongside the camera angle). An earlier signal would have shown up earlier.

It is impossible for the clock to have reached 1:59 when it started at 2:06 and we heard the whistle after 6.3 seconds. I'm not saying he had possession and was ruled down as soon as the clock turned to 2:01. I am saying that it was well in to the 2:01 second (2:01.10 counting down right before it was going to change to 2:00) when possession was determined. This shot is a 5.5 seconds:

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/8266/kickoff3e.jpg

He clearly has possession at that point and is touched down. The clock would still read 2:01 at that point. The clock operator still has another 4-tenths of a second after that shot to stop the clock and it would still read 2:01. You can't honestly tell me that if NE had stripped the ball away after the above photo, that you would not be arguing that he already had possession and was touched down. You know you would be, and I would as well because it is easy to tell.

You must have missed the replay from another angle I told u about. U can not determine if the player had control of the ball or not by looking at a still picture. The ball was moving. Clock operator determined it wasn't, way beyond the refs determined. In such instances, clock operator generally takes his time to stop the clock. Many times we see as many as 10 seconds being taken off the clock before it stops. Its common, so please do not tell me you've never seen it happen.

I have no idea what goes through a players mind. I do know the rules and what I see though. It was PI. Me and Junc agreeing that it was pass interference is meaningless. I only said that because Junc is a big Jets fan. He has no reason to say it was PI if it was not. You as a bias Jets fan do. Me and Junc and you and WV can not all be right. Obviously, you and WV are wrong. :chuckle:

So I guess u and junc have the higher authority over who is wrong and who is right. However, Im pretty sure WV is biased against the Jets to some extent, yet he agrees with me. But again, he is doesn't have the higher authority you or junc possess...for some reason.

I fully understand that point and said the same thing many times. That is not what I am debating. I am debating that the correct calls were made. I don't like to hear whining and claims of getting screwed when they are simply not true.

Not whining, and not claiming we got screwed. Not the one who created the thread...and no, I just showed how ur entire theory was flawed with the timing.

BTW, congrats on the victory. You guys played a near perfect game all around and fully deserved the victory. I've been surprised by the Dolphins emergence this year as a team that was once considered to be a 5-6 win team.

YOU are whining over the tenths of this and tenths of that. not me. Im claiming seconds.

Whistle comes at 6.9 seconds, now that I have the game on my pc and playing it on VLC. 6.3 seconds is ur figure.

Your claims are dead wrong, and you prove them wrong with your own post. If you start timing when he catches the ball in the end zone, it might be 6.9 seconds. The clock is not supposed to start until he enters the field of play. Even at 6.9 seconds, and the clock stopping as soon as it his 2:01, the most it can be is 1.9 seconds. Not 3 seconds. We know the clock did not stop as soon as it hit 2:01 because the clock immediately changed to 2:00 on the next play. That means the clock read something like 2:01.10.

How do u know he wasn't listening for the whistle and only looking for the signal?

It is the game clock operators job to stop the clock when the play is over. Unless he is blind, I doubt he is only listing for a whistle. A whistle is not the only signal that calls the play dead. I posted the rule several times and you have yet to post something that backs up what you are saying.

Wrong. 15:00 means the clock can be anywhere between 14:59:01-15:00:00. It doesn't mean it has between 15:00:00 to 15:00:99, obviously. Just look at any first play of any quarter. Clock doesn't tick to 14:59 until after a second. 14:59 means the clock less than 14 minutes and 59 seconds left on the clock. 2:06 means the clock is anywhere between 2:05:01 to 2:06:00. So deduct the 6.3 you claim (or the 6.1 from where the ref indicates the signal) and you have a 2 min warning. I counted 6.9 seconds till the whistle. Add in the reaction time and u have 7 full seconds. Compare that against the 5 seconds the clock ticked down and u have yourself a 2 second difference, the same difference I continued to talk about (2-3 seconds).

You could not be more wrong, and your own post proves it. 14:59.01 means that the clock is less than 1-tenth of a second away from changing to 14:58. When the clock reads 15:00.00 on the first play of a quarter, that means there is a full 10-tenths on that seconds. The tenths reset at 0, so going backwards would go like this:

15:00.00
15:00.99
15:00.98
15:00.97
15:00.96

Ect...Ect... until that 9-tenth goes to the 8-tenth, and the 8-tenth goes to the 7 ,6 5, 4 ,3 ,3 ,2 ,0 and then the clock changes to 14:59.00, then 14:59.99 and so and so on. You prove this to be true with the statement I highlighted above. You said "The clock does not tick to 14:59 until after a second. (10- tenths)

15:00.99 is a tenth of a tenth away from a full 10-tenths which would read 15:00.00. The resting zeros is what is confusing you. As soon as the clock changes to 2:06, there is a full 10-tenths that must be counted before it changes to 2:05. That means starting at 2:06 that 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock will still read 2:01.

Wrong, because 15:00 doesn't potentially mean from 15:00:01 to 15:00:99 in the NFL, although any countdown clock will disagree with it.

If this were true, then it would be impossible for a second to pass before the clock changed to 14:59, because no tenths would be counted. It would change immediately.

The ball crossed the goal post as soon as clock read 2:07. What took the operator to wait an entire second before hitting the stop button? The usual reaction time of looking at the refs signal or whistle.

The rest of the entire theory is just proven wrong above about clock potentially being 2:06:99.

It doesn't take a full second to stop the clock. It takes less than a tenth of a second. The clock is reading 2:07.10 and he can get the signal and stop the clock at 2:06.99 (which is a tenth of a tenth away from 2:06.00) If there is that long of a delay in stopping the clock at the right time, then there should also be that long of a delay in starting it at the right time which would cancel it out.

No, we are still talking about much more than a second.

No, we are not. Watch the play before the KO fumble and the play after the KO fumble. You will see that the clock just changes to 2:06 when the clock should be stopped, and changes to 2:00 immediately on the next play. Because of this, we know that we have a full 2:06. The play took 6.3 until we hear the whistle, and 5.9 seconds passed on the clock. That is a difference of 4-tenths of a second.

Repetitive, and because judging by refs signal, he was not running towards the play. He was either standing still, or moving slowly towards the new LoS (moving alongside the camera angle). An earlier signal would have shown up earlier.

You can see him taking steps towards the players in the video. We don't know how many since we don't get to see where he started from. It doesn't even matter since we can see him waving his arms at least 2-tenths before the whistle blows. It is ridiculous to whine about getting screwed if the clock operator stopped the clock 2-tenths of a second too soon.

You must have missed the replay from another angle I told u about. U can not determine if the player had control of the ball or not by looking at a still picture. The ball was moving. Clock operator determined it wasn't, way beyond the refs determined. In such instances, clock operator generally takes his time to stop the clock. Many times we see as many as 10 seconds being taken off the clock before it stops. Its common, so please do not tell me you've never seen it happen.

The pic is from the video, and you can clearly tell in the video that he had possession and was being touched down. Are you telling me that you would be arguing that it should be NE's ball if they manage to strip it away from the Jets player after that point in the picture? No, you would be saying that he is clearly down by contact with possession. That pic came at 5.5, and the whistle came at 6.3.

So I guess u and junc have the higher authority over who is wrong and who is right. However, Im pretty sure WV is biased against the Jets to some extent, yet he agrees with me. But again, he is doesn't have the higher authority you or junc possess...for some reason.

The authority is the rules of the game and the officials who enforce them. I am not an official, but I can clearly see that it was PI. I have no way to prove it to you.

Not whining, and not claiming we got screwed. Not the one who created the thread...and no, I just showed how ur entire theory was flawed with the timing.

It is your posts that have been wrong, and continue to be.

BTW, congrats on the victory. You guys played a near perfect game all around and fully deserved the victory. I've been surprised by the Dolphins emergence this year as a team that was once considered to be a 5-6 win team.

Thanks! That was a bad way for Jets to enter the bye. Things look really bad for them, but with all the mediocrity in the AFC and the schedule, you never know what can happen in the 2nd half of the season.

Your claims are dead wrong, and you prove them wrong with your own post. If you start timing when he catches the ball in the end zone, it might be 6.9 seconds. The clock is not supposed to start until he enters the field of play. Even at 6.9 seconds, and the clock stopping as soon as it his 2:01, the most it can be is 1.9 seconds. Not 3 seconds. We know the clock did not stop as soon as it hit 2:01 because the clock immediately changed to 2:00 on the next play. That means the clock read something like 2:01.10.

2 seconds is within my 2 to 3 second claim.

It is the game clock operators job to stop the clock when the play is over. Unless he is blind, I doubt he is only listing for a whistle. A whistle is not the only signal that calls the play dead. I posted the rule several times and you have yet to post something that backs up what you are saying.

U said "He is looking for the officials signal, not listening for a whistle".

You could not be more wrong, and your own post proves it. 14:59.01 means that the clock is less than 1-tenth of a second away from changing to 14:58. When the clock reads 15:00.00 on the first play of a quarter, that means there is a full 10-tenths on that seconds. The tenths reset at 0, so going backwards would go like this:

15:00.99
15:00.98
15:00.97
15:00.96

Ect...Ect... until that 9-tenth goes to the 8-tenth, and the 8-tenth goes to the 7 ,6 5, 4 ,3 ,3 ,2 ,0 and then the clock changes to 14:59.00, then 14:59.99 and so and so on. You prove this to be true with the statement I highlighted above. You said "The clock does not tick to 14:59 until after a second. (10- tenths)

When the clock hits 0:00, that doesn't mean it still has anywhere from 0:00:00 to 0:00:99. It means, the most the clock can have on it is 0 seconds. Similarly, when the very first play of the quarter takes place, the clock doesn't tick down to 14:59 until after a complete second, plus reaction time. Just look at any play and it'll prove u wrong, just like on every subject you are talking about.

15:00.99 is a tenth of a tenth away from a full 10-tenths which would read 15:00.00. The resting zeros is what is confusing you. As soon as the clock changes to 2:06, there is a full 10-tenths that must be counted before it changes to 2:05. That means starting at 2:06 that 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock will still read 2:01.

Again, on the NFL clock, the clock is different from a countdown clock or the nba clock. NBA clock has tenths of seconds (or maybe even hundredths of seconds?) to show that 0:00 can be 0:00:9, almost an entire second. In the NFL, the clock only ticks to the next second (2:01 for instance) when it has 2:01 seconds OR less. 2:00:01 will read as 2:01 on the NFL clock and my theory is proven when u see the very first play of any quarter where the clock doesn't change to 14:59 until a full second after the snap.

If this were true, then it would be impossible for a second to pass before the clock changed to 14:59, because no tenths would be counted. It would change immediately.

I should, but it doesn't. just take a look.

It doesn't take a full second to stop the clock. It takes less than a tenth of a second. The clock is reading 2:07.10 and he can get the signal and stop the clock at 2:06.99 (which is a tenth of a tenth away from 2:06.00) If there is that long of a delay in stopping the clock at the right time, then there should also be that long of a delay in starting it at the right time which would cancel it out.

Wrong as proven above.

No, we are not. Watch the play before the KO fumble and the play after the KO fumble. You will see that the clock just changes to 2:06 when the clock should be stopped, and changes to 2:00 immediately on the next play. Because of this, we know that we have a full 2:06. The play took 6.3 until we hear the whistle, and 5.9 seconds passed on the clock. That is a difference of 4-tenths of a second.

2:06 means that it has 2 mins and 6 seconds OR less on the clock.

You can see him taking steps towards the players in the video. We don't know how many since we don't get to see where he started from. It doesn't even matter since we can see him waving his arms at least 2-tenths before the whistle blows. It is ridiculous to whine about getting screwed if the clock operator stopped the clock 2-tenths of a second too soon.

Again, those 2- tenths of a second according to ur reading (or more than a second according to my calculations) makes a huge difference.

The pic is from the video, and you can clearly tell in the video that he had possession and was being touched down. Are you telling me that you would be arguing that it should be NE's ball if they manage to strip it away from the Jets player after that point in the picture? No, you would be saying that he is clearly down by contact with possession. That pic came at 5.5, and the whistle came at 6.3.

I didn't say anything about the ball being stripped. U are still not looking at the following replay I've mentioned. Maybe because u don't want to. It shows the player didn't have full control of the ball when he was touched...and the clock operator can not determine all by himself to stop the clock before getting the signal from the ref. Where the clock operator does have the right to stop the clock would be on an incomplete pass where he doesn't need a refs signal to determine the play is dead, not on a fumble recovery where there is a pile. Common sense. Clock operator has rules to follow, and they are not very complicated.

The authority is the rules of the game and the officials who enforce them. I am not an official, but I can clearly see that it was PI. I have no way to prove it to you.

Apparently, the official standing couple of steps away from the play didn't think it was PI, but you, who hardly had a good angle of the play, determines that it was a clear PI. You don't have a way to prove it to me because there is NO evidence of it.

It is your posts that have been wrong, and continue to be.

My posts are wrong according to you, not according to the nfl time clock.

Thanks! That was a bad way for Jets to enter the bye. Things look really bad for them, but with all the mediocrity in the AFC and the schedule, you never know what can happen in the 2nd half of the season.

When Revis went down, so did my hopes for the season. He was a big part of how Jets play D. They played well against the Pats but Jets needed everything to go in their favor to win many games. Then Holmes went down. Keller had been out. Hill was out with hammy too. Kerley wasn't 100%. Shonn got bruised up. Bilal Powell got knocked out. McKnight, Schillen, Bart Scott. The list is long with the injuries on the Jets side. The OL is playing terrible and so are the defensive front 7. And then a lot of boneheaded plays by the CS. I still think Jets can win 9 games, but thats only because its a weak schedule for our division this year. Sanchez played very good against the Pats but threw some bad passes under pressure a 9 year old could complete. When there's no pressure, Sanchez plays well. Now its up to the CS to prove their worth for the 2nd half to keep their jobs.

When the clock hits 0:00, that doesn't mean it still has anywhere from 0:00:00 to 0:00:99. It means, the most the clock can have on it is 0 seconds. Similarly, when the very first play of the quarter takes place, the clock doesn't tick down to 14:59 until after a complete second, plus reaction time. Just look at any play and it'll prove u wrong, just like on every subject you are talking about.

Of course 0:00.00 has nothing left. It is zero and the tenths have already ran off! The NFL clock does not show the tenths being counted off, so the clock will read 0:01 until all tenths are counted. It doesn't matter if there is really 0:00.99, or 0:00.01, the clock will read 0:01. When the clock hits 0:00.00 that last second was already counted off by tenths. It went from:

0:01.00
0:00.90
0:00.80
0:00.70
0:00.60
0:00.50
0:00.40
0:00.30
0:00.20
0:00.10
0:00:00

I did not write it out correctly before, but all 10-tenths of every second must be counted before they will change. That is why it takes a complete second (10-tenths) for the clock to go from 15:00 to 14:59 on the first play of any quarter. It went from:

14:59.90
14:59.80
14:59.70
14:59.60
14:59.50
14:59.40
14:59.30
14:59.20
14:59.10
14:59.00 (this is when we get to see it change to 14:59)

If it didn't count down the tenths that way, the clock would immediately change from 15:00 to 14:59 as soon as it was started at the beginning of each quarter. You know it doesn't since you agree that it takes a full second (10-tenths) before it changes. Do you finally understand? It is the same from 2:06 to 2:05.

We already know all 10-tenths should be counted on the 2:06 second. We know this because the clock stopped as soon as it changed from 2:07 to 2:06 when the FG attempt from the Jets was over. It was over right at the end of 2:07 which would read 2:07.10 ,with the tenths included, and it changed from 2:07.10 to 2:06.00 when the clock was stopped.

If the clock just changed to 2:06, it reads 2:06.00 with the full 10- tenths. Don't get confused with the re-setting zeros, 2:06.00 is not going to immediately change to 2:05 if it just changed to 2:06. It is a tenth of a tenth away from counting down to 2:05.99, 1-tenth away from changing to 2:05.90, 2-tenths away from 2:05.80 and so on and so on like the examples above. That is why it takes a full second for 15:00 to change to 14:59, and a full second to change from 2:06 to 2:05. All 10 tenths must be counted.

This means from 2:06 to 2:01, 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock will still read 2:01. If the clock just changed to 2:06 and 5.9 seconds passed on the clock, the clock would be about to change to 2:00 at that point since it is at 2:00.10 (or less) We know this is true since the clock did immediately change to 2:00 on the next play. The play before and the play after proves that 5.9 seconds passed on the clock. 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 4- tenths of a second.

Again, on the NFL clock, the clock is different from a countdown clock or the nba clock. NBA clock has tenths of seconds (or maybe even hundredths of seconds?) to show that 0:00 can be 0:00:9, almost an entire second. In the NFL, the clock only ticks to the next second (2:01 for instance) when it has 2:01 seconds OR less. 2:00:01 will read as 2:01 on the NFL clock and my theory is proven when u see the very first play of any quarter where the clock doesn't change to 14:59 until a full second after the snap.

You continue to prove yourself wrong. We are not dealing with theories. Time is time and is measured the same way whether you see it or not. Just because you can't see the tenths counting down doesn't mean they aren't being counted.
0:01 will be on an NFL clock until all 10-tenths are counted. You could start and stop the clock a half second later, and it will still read 0:01 (not 0:00.50), but you will only have a half second left when the clock is started again.

We can't see the tenths being counted off on an NFL clock, but you can get a really good idea of where they are at by watching the play before and the play after as mentioned above. The reason the clock immediately goes from 2:01 to 2:00 (on the Jets next play after the KO fumble) is because 9-tenths already ran off it before it was stopped on the last play. We can't see the tenths, but if we could it would be 2:00.10 which is still 2:01. If you add the 9-tenths that ran off to the 5 seconds that already ran off (2:06 to 2:01), you get 5.9 seconds. Again, 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 4-tenths. Not 2 to 3 seconds.

2:06 means that it has 2 mins and 6 seconds OR less on the clock.

Agreed! All 10-tenths of that 6th second MUST BE counted before it will change to 2:05! You keep trying to skip the 10-tenths of the 6th second. 2:06 doesn't change to 2:05 until 1 second has passed.

Again, those 2- tenths of a second according to ur reading (or more than a second according to my calculations) makes a huge difference.

What calculations? All you have done is post nonsense that is proven to be false.

I didn't say anything about the ball being stripped. U are still not looking at the following replay I've mentioned. Maybe because u don't want to. It shows the player didn't have full control of the ball when he was touched...and the clock operator can not determine all by himself to stop the clock before getting the signal from the ref. Where the clock operator does have the right to stop the clock would be on an incomplete pass where he doesn't need a refs signal to determine the play is dead, not on a fumble recovery where there is a pile. Common sense. Clock operator has rules to follow, and they are not very complicated.

I never said he had possession at the very first moment he was touched. I said he had possession at least 4-tenths of a second before the whistle blew. You can clearly see that in the picture, and the picture came after 5.5 seconds when the clock would still read 2:01. Post the video of the angel you are talking about, if you wish. I don't need it though because I already have a video and a picture that shows clear possession and contact after 5.5 seconds, which is well within the 5.9 seconds that can pass before the clock would change to 2:00.

Apparently, the official standing couple of steps away from the play didn't think it was PI, but you, who hardly had a good angle of the play, determines that it was a clear PI. You don't have a way to prove it to me because there is NO evidence of it.

The evidence is on the tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=pT_S6fuCM7c

You thought Revis did not pass interfere with Marshall last year when Revis nearly ripped his jersey off, and then you thought Jammer did interfere with Holmes when he didn't even touch him before the ball hit Holmes in the hand. You have proven yourself to be very bias in your judgement of what PI is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course 0:00.00 has nothing left. It is zero and the tenths have already ran off! The NFL clock does not show the tenths being counted off, so the clock will read 0:01 until all tenths are counted. It doesn't matter if there is really 0:00.99, or 0:00.01, the clock will read 0:01. When the clock hits 0:00.00 that last second was already counted off by tenths. It went from:

0:01.00
0:00.90
0:00.80
0:00.70
0:00.60
0:00.50
0:00.40
0:00.30
0:00.20
0:00.10
0:00:00

I did not write it out correctly before, but all 10-tenths of every second must be counted before they will change. That is why it takes a complete second (10-tenths) for the clock to go from 15:00 to 14:59 on the first play of any quarter. It went from:

14:59.90
14:59.80
14:59.70
14:59.60
14:59.50
14:59.40
14:59.30
14:59.20
14:59.10
14:59.00 (this is when we get to see it change to 14:59)

If it didn't count down the tenths that way, the clock would immediately change from 15:00 to 14:59 as soon as it was started at the beginning of each quarter. You know it doesn't since you agree that it takes a full second (10-tenths) before it changes. Do you finally understand? It is the same from 2:06 to 2:05.

We already know all 10-tenths should be counted on the 2:06 second. We know this because the clock stopped as soon as it changed from 2:07 to 2:06 when the FG attempt from the Jets was over. It was over right at the end of 2:07 which would read 2:07.10 ,with the tenths included, and it changed from 2:07.10 to 2:06.00 when the clock was stopped.

If the clock just changed to 2:06, it reads 2:06.00 with the full 10- tenths. Don't get confused with the re-setting zeros, 2:06.00 is not going to immediately change to 2:05 if it just changed to 2:06. It is a tenth of a tenth away from counting down to 2:05.99, 1-tenth away from changing to 2:05.90, 2-tenths away from 2:05.80 and so on and so on like the examples above. That is why it takes a full second for 15:00 to change to 14:59, and a full second to change from 2:06 to 2:05. All 10 tenths must be counted.

I am not getting confused, but you finally get the point after being wrong earlier. To quote you below:

"No, I am not wrong, and no we don't agree. You made a critical error. 2:06 could potentially be anywhere from 2:06.01 to 2:06.99. If it was at 2:06:00, the clock would have immediately changed to 2:05 as soon as he enters the field of play on the KO return. You are trying to skip a full second.
"

2:06 could potentially mean between 2:06:00 and 2:05:01.

This means from 2:06 to 2:01, 5.9 seconds can pass and the clock will still read 2:01. If the clock just changed to 2:06 and 5.9 seconds passed on the clock, the clock would be about to change to 2:00 at that point since it is at 2:00.10 (or less) We know this is true since the clock did immediately change to 2:00 on the next play. The play before and the play after proves that 5.9 seconds passed on the clock. 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 4- tenths of a second.

The play before proves nothing because you don't know exactly when the operator stopped the clock after the FG and u don't know exactly when the operator started the clock on the kickoff return. These are all assumptions. What we do know is that the operator was quick to stop the clock before it was even signaled dead on a not-so-clear fumble recovery.

You continue to prove yourself wrong. We are not dealing with theories. Time is time and is measured the same way whether you see it or not. Just because you can't see the tenths counting down doesn't mean they aren't being counted.
0:01 will be on an NFL clock until all 10-tenths are counted. You could start and stop the clock a half second later, and it will still read 0:01 (not 0:00.50), but you will only have a half second left when the clock is started again.

Sorry, but ur post I quoted in italics above shows how I continue to be correct all along, but u just changed ur theory. And no, it is a theory, or a concept. NFL clock doesn't follow the same concept as other clocks, such as an NBA clock. If we 'hide' the tenths of seconds on NBA clock, 0:00 could mean as much as almost an entire second. In the NFL, 0:00 means end of time (quarter, half, game, play clock etc).

We can't see the tenths being counted off on an NFL clock, but you can get a really good idea of where they are at by watching the play before and the play after as mentioned above. The reason the clock immediately goes from 2:01 to 2:00 (on the Jets next play after the KO fumble) is because 9-tenths already ran off it before it was stopped on the last play. We can't see the tenths, but if we could it would be 2:00.10 which is still 2:01. If you add the 9-tenths that ran off to the 5 seconds that already ran off (2:06 to 2:01), you get 5.9 seconds. Again, 6.3 seconds minus 5.9 seconds = 4-tenths. Not 2 to 3 seconds.

The play took 6.9 seconds per my count. The clock dropped to 2:05 when the returner was around 5 yard line. From the time returner enters the field of play, to the time the clock dropped to 2:05 is about .8 seconds (I slowed it down in VLC, since it has tenths of seconds for the clip timing). Minus the operators reaction time and the clock probably read 2:05:70 before the play started.

Agreed! All 10-tenths of that 6th second MUST BE counted before it will change to 2:05! You keep trying to skip the 10-tenths of the 6th second. 2:06 doesn't change to 2:05 until 1 second has passed.

Not sure what made u think that way. I never said anything about 2:06 changing to 2:05 immediately.

The evidence is on the tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=pT_S6fuCM7c

You thought Revis did not pass interfere with Marshall last year when Revis nearly ripped his jersey off, and then you thought Jammer did interfere with Holmes when he didn't even touch him before the ball hit Holmes in the hand. You have proven yourself to be very bias in your judgement of what PI is.

Marshall stumbled into Revis. Not sure which play you are referring to with Jammer and Holmes PI call (please refresh me?). Hernandez puts both his hands on Kyle to make his stop. One of his hands are in Kyles face. Look closely. The ball comes a tad bit early and further away than Hernandez expected and could not turn in time to make the catch with both hands. The ref is 5 yards away from all this and agrees with me.

unimportant argument. Just fight with the Bills for scraps.

I am not getting confused, but you finally get the point after being wrong earlier. To quote you below:

"No, I am not wrong, and no we don't agree. You made a critical error. 2:06 could potentially be anywhere from 2:06.01 to 2:06.99. If it was at 2:06:00, the clock would have immediately changed to 2:05 as soon as he enters the field of play on the KO return. You are trying to skip a full second.
"

2:06 could potentially mean between 2:06:00 and 2:05:01.

I am trying to make you understand that all 10-tenths need to be counted. When I write out 2:06.01 to 2:06.99, I am not trying to imply that that the clock is a tenth of a tenth away from 2:07. I am trying to show you all 10-tenths of the 2:06 need to be counted before it will change to 2:05 and how it looks seeing it on the NFL game clock. If you could see the tenths being counted off, it would look like I wrote it in my last post.

The play before proves nothing because you don't know exactly when the operator stopped the clock after the FG and u don't know exactly when the operator started the clock on the kickoff return. These are all assumptions. What we do know is that the operator was quick to stop the clock before it was even signaled dead on a not-so-clear fumble recovery.

If we don't know exactly when the operator stopped the clock after the FG, and don't know exactly when the operator started the clock on the kickoff return, then how in the world do you know that the operator stopped the clock early when it hit 2:01 before the play was signaled dead? You can't see the tenths being ran off, so there is a full second that the clock looks like it is not moving, but really could be.

The clock will read 2:01 for a full second, and could be stopped, or could be going:

2:00.9 (Reading 2:01 since it is the tenths of the 2:01 that is being counted down)
2:00.8 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.7 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.6 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.5 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.4 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.3 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.2 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.1 (Reading 2:01)

We can know when it was stopped by watching the next play. The next play proves that the clock did not stop early in 2:01 since it took 1-tenth of a second to change to 2:00 on the next play. That means 9-tenths ran off of 2:01 before the clock was stopped.

We know exactly when he should have stopped the clock before that play as well. The ball hits the back of the net and the clock still read 2:07. It was about to change to 2:06, and with the signal from the official, he should have stopped it at the very beginning of 2:06.

We should have the full 10-tenths of that 2:06 second before it changes to 2:05, and the full 10-tenths of the 2:05 Before it changes to 2:04 and the full 10-tenths of 2:04 before it changes to 2:03, and the full 10-tenths of 2:03 before it changes to 2:02, and the full 10-tenths of 2:02 before it changes to 2:01. Count the seconds in bold above and you get 5 seconds to 2:01 (2:06 to 2:01) What you don't seem to get is that another 10-tenths have to pass before it will change from 2:01 to 2:00. 9-tenths can pass and the clock will still read 2:01.

Get it? 5.9 seconds can pass with the clock being started at 2:06 and still rightfully be stopped after 5.9 seconds and read 2:01.

Sorry, but ur post I quoted in italics above shows how I continue to be correct all along, but u just changed ur theory. And no, it is a theory, or a concept. NFL clock doesn't follow the same concept as other clocks, such as an NBA clock. If we 'hide' the tenths of seconds on NBA clock, 0:00 could mean as much as almost an entire second. In the NFL, 0:00 means end of time (quarter, half, game, play clock etc).

You said the clock stopped 2-3 seconds before the whistle blew, and you continue to be wrong. I have said all along that it is 4-tenths, and that all 10-tenths of each second need to be counted before they will change. You can't seem to understand that, so I tried to write it out in a way that you could, but I failed. Time is not a theory, it is a fact. All clocks go by tenths of a second, and tenths of tenths. It doesn't matter if you can see them or not. 0.00 means end of time, but the NFL clock will never show 0:00.5 (as in half a second left), it will show 0:01 until it hits zero, even if there is a full second left or just a tenth of a second left.

We know where the clock should be based on the play before and the play after. The clock should stop at the very beginning of 2:06 (you claim only 8-tenths passed on the next play before the clock changed to 2:05, but close enough) and you know that the clock immediately changes (1-tenth) to 2:00 on the Jets first play after the KO fumble. That proves 5.9 seconds passed on the clock during the KO fumble play. It boggles my mind that you can not understand that. You say the play lasted 6.9 until the whistle blew, and I say 6.3. Even at 6.9, it is only a 1 second difference, not 2 or 3.

Not sure what made u think that way. I never said anything about 2:06 changing to 2:05 immediately.

You claim that the whistle came 2 to 3 seconds after the clock stopped, and the clock started at 2:06 and stopped at 2:01. The play lasted 6.3 seconds and 5.9 can run off the clock before it will read 2:00. The clock would have to immediately change from 2:06 to 2:05 for only 4 seconds of time to pass which is what you need to be within your 2 to 3 second figure. 6.3 seconds minus 4 seconds = 2.3 seconds. Since we know the clock ran all of that 2:06 sec off and we know it nearly ran all of the 2:01 ( 9-tenths ran off it), we know that 5.9 seconds passed. Since 5.9 seconds passed, it is impossible for 2 to 3 seconds to have gone by after the clock stopped since we hear the whistle at 6.3, or 6.9 seconds according to you.

Bottom line is, what you have been saying has been wrong from the beginning. It is tenths of a second difference from when the clock stopped and when we heard the whistle blow and not 2 to 3 seconds. I don't even care about the whistle blowing though since we saw him waving his arms before the whistle blew. Just look at the picture that came at 5.5 seconds. It is clear that he had possession and was down by contact 5.5 seconds into the play. 5.9 seconds can pass before the clock would change to 2:00, so the clock should have rightfully stopped at 2:01. There is no conspiracy and the Jets didn' get screwed on the play.

I am trying to make you understand that all 10-tenths need to be counted. When I write out 2:06.01 to 2:06.99, I am not trying to imply that that the clock is a tenth of a tenth away from 2:07. I am trying to show you all 10-tenths of the 2:06 need to be counted before it will change to 2:05 and how it looks seeing it on the NFL game clock. If you could see the tenths being counted off, it would look like I wrote it in my last post.

I already know how ten tenths of a second work. You on the other hand claimed when clock reads 2:06, it potentially can be between 2:06:01 and 2:06:99, when its not.

If we don't know exactly when the operator stopped the clock after the FG, and don't know exactly when the operator started the clock on the kickoff return, then how in the world do you know that the operator stopped the clock early when it hit 2:01 before the play was signaled dead? You can't see the tenths being ran off, so there is a full second that the clock looks like it is not moving, but really could be.

Because its obvious. When the signal came in, the clock was already stopped cuz it stopped on 2:01 and the signal came more than 2 seconds after the clock ticked to 2:01.

The clock will read 2:01 for a full second, and could be stopped, or could be going:

2:00.9 (Reading 2:01 since it is the tenths of the 2:01 that is being counted down)
2:00.8 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.7 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.6 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.5 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.4 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.3 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.2 (Reading 2:01)
2:00.1 (Reading 2:01)

You continue posting this crap as if Im a child and have no idea how the clock works...where as I showed you how u were wrong with the sentence I quoted u saying "No, I am not wrong, and no we don't agree. You made a critical error. 2:06 could potentially be anywhere from 2:06.01 to 2:06.99."

We can know when it was stopped by watching the next play. The next play proves that the clock did not stop early in 2:01 since it took 1-tenth of a second to change to 2:00 on the next play. That means 9-tenths ran off of 2:01 before the clock was stopped.

I never argued it stopped as soon as the clock ticked to 2:01. Never said that but u continue to repeat yourself as if it is what I've been thinking all along.

We know exactly when he should have stopped the clock before that play as well. The ball hits the back of the net and the clock still read 2:07. It was about to change to 2:06, and with the signal from the official, he should have stopped it at the very beginning of 2:06.

We don't when exactly the clock stopped. It is very normal for the clock to tick an extra second before the clock operator stops it. Very normal and common. What we do know is that the clock ticked to 2:05 after .8 seconds of the player coming out of the EZ, which means the clock has to have read around 2:05:70 (reaction time of one tenth of a second). You claiming the clock most likely read 2:00:10 is reasonable and most likely true and I didn't argue with that. The difference between 2:05:70 and 2:00:10 is 5.6 seconds. McCourty takes the ball at the goal line and immediately runs with it. Clock starts (or should start) after about one tenth of a second of collecting the ball. From that time, to the refs signal, it took 6.8 seconds (6.9 to the refs whistle. I slowed down the video to 1/4th of the speed and timed it to get a far accurate reading).

We should have the full 10-tenths of that 2:06 second before it changes to 2:05, and the full 10-tenths of the 2:05 Before it changes to 2:04 and the full 10-tenths of 2:04 before it changes to 2:03, and the full 10-tenths of 2:03 before it changes to 2:02, and the full 10-tenths of 2:02 before it changes to 2:01. Count the seconds in bold above and you get 5 seconds to 2:01 (2:06 to 2:01) What you don't seem to get is that another 10-tenths have to pass before it will change from 2:01 to 2:00. 9-tenths can pass and the clock will still read 2:01.

Too excessive don't u think? Clock read around 2:05:07 at the kickoff and I've already explained why.

Get it? 5.9 seconds can pass with the clock being started at 2:06 and still rightfully be stopped after 5.9 seconds and read 2:01.

5.7 seconds.

You said the clock stopped 2-3 seconds before the whistle blew, and you continue to be wrong. I have said all along that it is 4-tenths, and that all 10-tenths of each second need to be counted before they will change. You can't seem to understand that, so I tried to write it out in a way that you could, but I failed. Time is not a theory, it is a fact. All clocks go by tenths of a second, and tenths of tenths. It doesn't matter if you can see them or not. 0.00 means end of time, but the NFL clock will never show 0:00.5 (as in half a second left), it will show 0:01 until it hits zero, even if there is a full second left or just a tenth of a second left.

I claimed 2-3 seconds before I looked at the following play as u mentioned. The clock stopped 1.2 seconds before the it was supposed to. (I said 2-3 seconds before you pointed out that the clock did not stop as soon as it turned to 2:01 by looking at the next play and I agreed with that, not that I claimed any different).

We know where the clock should be based on the play before and the play after. The clock should stop at the very beginning of 2:06 (you claim only 8-tenths passed on the next play before the clock changed to 2:05, but close enough) and you know that the clock immediately changes (1-tenth) to 2:00 on the Jets first play after the KO fumble. That proves 5.9 seconds passed on the clock during the KO fumble play. It boggles my mind that you can not understand that. You say the play lasted 6.9 until the whistle blew, and I say 6.3. Even at 6.9, it is only a 1 second difference, not 2 or 3.

I claimed the that the clock reads around 2:05:70 at kickoff. From there to 2:05:1 (where the clocked stopped), its only 5.6 seconds not 5.9 seconds. How is ur math so weak? Even at 6.3 seconds, the clock operator stopped the clock more than half a second before the he got any signal from the refs.

Bottom line is, what you have been saying has been wrong from the beginning. It is tenths of a second difference from when the clock stopped and when we heard the whistle blow and not 2 to 3 seconds. I don't even care about the whistle blowing though since we saw him waving his arms before the whistle blew. Just look at the picture that came at 5.5 seconds. It is clear that he had possession and was down by contact 5.5 seconds into the play. 5.9 seconds can pass before the clock would change to 2:00, so the clock should have rightfully stopped at 2:01. There is no conspiracy and the Jets didn' get screwed on the play.

Again, the player maybe have been touched at 5.5 (per ur calculations) but the clock can not stop until the ref determines that clear possession was established. His signal comes in at 6.8-6.9 seconds. And again, possession is never clear on a picture since u don't know if the ball was still, or moving. Thats why I agree with the refs whistle, which came when the clock should have read 1:59 (2:05:7 minus 6.9 seconds = 1:58:8). Difference is a time out. I may be biased, but I never brought up the timeout issue, a Dolfan did.

you know what's funny is the Giants are whining about a second that didn't go off the clock yet Witten caught a pass wnet OOb at 7 secs and the clock continued to 6 unlike our play where we recovered the fumble at 2:01 and the clock froze.

I already know how ten tenths of a second work. You on the other hand claimed when clock reads 2:06, it potentially can be between 2:06:01 and 2:06:99, when its not.

Apparently you didn't, or you would have known your claim of 2 to 3 seconds was impossible. I wrote out the tenths in front (2:06.99) in an effort to try to get you to understand that all tenths need to be counted. I never implied that 2:07 should be on the clock (which is how 2:06.1 to 2:06.99 would show up on the clock) It is written out incorrectly, but nothing changes if you count out the tenths in front if you count the second down (meaning 2:06.99 changes to 2:05 after 0:00.99 seconds) or if you count them out the proper way (2:05.99 changes to 2:05 in 0:00.99 seconds) You said:

Let me prove it to you in ur words. If the play took 6.3 seconds then from 2:06:00 minus 6:3 seconds is 1:59:70.

I have said 4-tenths from the beginning, and 159:70 is 4-tenths away from 2:00.10 which will read 2:01 on the NFL clock. You kept saying 2 to 3 seconds which means you were not including all the tenths that ran off. This is the first post that you now get it and have change your 2-3 second difference to 1 second. You are still wrong, but I am glad we are finally getting closer.

I never argued it stopped as soon as the clock ticked to 2:01. Never said that but u continue to repeat yourself as if it is what I've been thinking all along.

That is exactly what you have arguing because there is no other way to come up with a 2 to 3 seconds difference. If you really thought differently, you would have known that a 2 to 3 second difference would be impossible like I have been telling you the whole time.

We don't when exactly the clock stopped. It is very normal for the clock to tick an extra second before the clock operator stops it. Very normal and common. What we do know is that the clock ticked to 2:05 after .8 seconds of the player coming out of the EZ, which means the clock has to have read around 2:05:70 (reaction time of one tenth of a second). You claiming the clock most likely read 2:00:10 is reasonable and most likely true and I didn't argue with that. The difference between 2:05:70 and 2:00:10 is 5.6 seconds. McCourty takes the ball at the goal line and immediately runs with it. Clock starts (or should start) after about one tenth of a second of collecting the ball. From that time, to the refs signal, it took 6.8 seconds (6.9 to the refs whistle. I slowed down the video to 1/4th of the speed and timed it to get a far accurate reading).

We know when it should have been stopped, and know that it got stopped within tenths of when it should have been. You can watch the Jets FG attempt before the KO fumble and know that there should be a full 10-tenths on the 2:06. Trying to figure out the reaction time is silly. I could say well maybe the operators reaction time was longer than it should have been on the FG stoppage, and maybe he started it too early on the KO return. Who cares? We know when it should have stopped on the last play and when it should have started on the next play. Based on the play before, there should be a full 10-tenths on the 2:06, which means that we have 5.9 seconds that can pass between 2:06.00 and 2:00.1. We know that is accurate based on the play before and the play after.

I don't have any faith that you started timing it at the right time, and stopped it at the right time. From the time he entered the field of play to the time the whistle came is 6.3 seconds, not 6.9. You claiming that there is only 1-tenth of a second difference between the official waving his arms and the whistle blowing is ridiculous, unless he is Flash Gordon. I would like to see what a waving arm, being raised from the hip,towards the sky in 1-tenth of a second, looks like.

Too excessive don't u think? Clock read around 2:05:07 at the kickoff and I've already explained why.

You are the one whining about tenths of a second, not me. Maybe it did read 2:05.70, and the reaction time on the next play was 1-tenth which account for 8-tenths being ran off before the clock changed. Maybe it read 2:05.20 and the clock operators reaction time was 6-tenths which would account for the 8-tenths that you see. None of that matters to me. What matters is what it should be, and we know what it should be based on the play before and after.

I claimed 2-3 seconds before I looked at the following play as u mentioned. The clock stopped 1.2 seconds before the it was supposed to. (I said 2-3 seconds before you pointed out that the clock did not stop as soon as it turned to 2:01 by looking at the next play and I agreed with that, not that I claimed any different).

You have claimed 2 to 3 seconds this whole time. The clock read 2:06 when it started and stopped at 2:01. Do the math. Even with the whistle coming as far as 6.9 seconds and the clock stopping as soon as it hits 2:01, you still can't get a 2 to 3 seconds. This is the first post that you get it and have changed your tune.

I claimed the that the clock reads around 2:05:70 at kickoff. From there to 2:05:1 (where the clocked stopped), its only 5.6 seconds not 5.9 seconds. How is ur math so weak? Even at 6.3 seconds, the clock operator stopped the clock more than half a second before the he got any signal from the refs.

That is your claim, not mine. My math is based on 2:06.00 which is what should be on the clock. It is 5.9 seconds that passed, and 6.3 when the whistle blew. 4-tenths which is what I have been telling you since the beginning.

On top of that, 6.3 is when the whistle blew, not when the play was being signaled dead. That could have come as early as 5.5, so even according to your calculations, the clock operator still would have had 1-tenth to stop the clock at 2:01.

Again, the player maybe have been touched at 5.5 (per ur calculations) but the clock can not stop until the ref determines that clear possession was established. His signal comes in at 6.8-6.9 seconds. And again, possession is never clear on a picture since u don't know if the ball was still, or moving. Thats why I agree with the refs whistle, which came when the clock should have read 1:59 (2:05:7 minus 6.9 seconds = 1:58:8). Difference is a time out. I may be biased, but I never brought up the timeout issue, a Dolfan did.

No, 5.5 is when he clearly has possession and was down by contact. The Jets player recovered the the ball and was first touched by a NE player at 4.8 seconds. You claim the whistle came at 6.9, and it actually came at 6.3. Anyone can examine the video and determine who is right. We know the play was being signaled dead before the whistle blew. Based on the recovery on the video, the official could have signaled it as early as 5.5. We can't see him, so we can't know for sure if he was, but it certainly would have been reasonable for him to do so. The NFL looked into this and they have a lot more video angels to see when the signal came. The NFL said there was no foul play. I don't take the NFL's word alone, but examining the play myself, I agree.

you know what's funny is the Giants are whining about a second that didn't go off the clock yet Witten caught a pass wnet OOb at 7 secs and the clock continued to 6 unlike our play where we recovered the fumble at 2:01 and the clock froze.

The whining Giants players and fans are wrong. There should have been 1 second left on the clock in the Giants game. I guess whining Giants fans are the same as whining Jets fans. Wrong! :chuckle: You would know the clock didn't freeze at 2:01 if you watched the following play. The clock immediately changed to 2:00 meaning that 9-tenths ran off of 2:01.

On a side note; good to see you on the board. Hope you made it through Sandy without any major damage.

Back
Top Bottom