Grade the draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grade the draft

Grade the draft

• Total voters
If we get rid of McCain this year, it will be the toughest move Flo will make as a HC. More tha KVN.

If I had to guess the final WR roster it would be Parker, Fuller, Waddle, Bowden, Wilson if we keep him

C - i don't feel like they did anything above average. feels nice because they had extra top picks but didn't really take advantage of the opportunity to stay at 12 with 2 firsts next year and then let the draft come to them.

i like waddle and phillips as players. i even like holland and eichenberg.

but to me they lost a lot of value in the trade with philadelphia and then giving up a third to move up 8 spots in the second round is a steep price.

of course we could argue till the cows come home. i just view it as we could have had smith (or waddle) at 10 by doing the same trade the eagles did, if we remained at 12 until draft day.

phillips is ok at 18. i wouldn't have minded harris.

i clearly loved williams so i would have moved up to take him by any means necessary. i know many don't agree but the impact he would have is far greater than a safety, no matter how good he is. when it's 4th and 1 in the cold and snow late in the year, i sure hope malcolm brown is as effective as javonte will be. a good year for holland would be 1 or 2 picks and maybe a sack. javonte i feel will have 1000 yards and 10 tds without breaking a sweat. to me that's so much more impactful on wins. stats back this up too:

for the sake of argument and with the benefit of hindsight, if they stayed put at 6, 18, 36, and 50, i like a draft of smith, harris, jenkins, and basham much better than waddle, phillips, holland, and eichenberg (minus a third).

overall average value and nothing special so i say a C

I've reflected and think overall its a decent draft with good value across the board.

The 1st round picks both address needs and the more I see of Waddle the better the fit is compared to the other two WR's who at one time were an option.
The Phillips pick fills a big need for us and who can argue at getting the #1 edge rusher at #18.

The 2nd round picks are solid with Eichenberg being a little contentious due to us given away the 2022 3rd rounder to move up (fortunately we made a smart move to get value later and recoup a 4th which must be taken into account). Holland was another pick looking at moving forward as we do need to solidify the middle of the field and this kid can grow and then replace McCain in the rotation who some think is massively overpaid.

The TE in the 3rd was seen as a luxury by some but with Gesicki and Smythe both being off contract at the end of the season it's another smart move to replenish our TE room with a young kid who can settle in for a season working alongside the veterans.

We then trade our 5th round pick to the Steelers for a 4th rounder which to me is a win and helps soften the blow of having to trade up for Eichenberg some what. I believe the Steelers are likely to be middle of the road this coming season and worse if Rothlesberger regresses so worse case scenario imo is we are looking at a pick in the middle of the 4th round. It was also good to see us not forcing a pick and instead gaining value which is the sign of a decent front office.

The 7th round picks were interesting enough as we must have delved deep to find the OT who looks like a project with a lot of upside, we also doubled up and picked a back who will fit into the rotation and looking at this stats hasn't got miles and miles on the tyres which is always far better in my opinion than taking a kid at this stage of the draft who has been a college workhorse.

Overall I gave the draft a B grade - I like the picks but giving up next years 3rd to move up a few slots negates the A grade for me personally.

A

Waddle is a home run pick. Phillips has a lot of injury concerns but top level athlete. Holland alone gets an A+. Eichenberg is a late first rounder so that’s a good value pick and Hunter long is the most complete tight end in the draft. Coleman has a lot of potential but could suck and it’s the reverse for Doakes. Not a ton of potential very high floor. Great pass protector and catching back.

if Phillips didn’t have concussion issues it’s an A+

I've reflected and think overall its a decent draft with good value across the board.

The 1st round picks both address needs and the more I see of Waddle the better the fit is compared to the other two WR's who at one time were an option.
The Phillips pick fills a big need for us and who can argue at getting the #1 edge rusher at #18.

The 2nd round picks are solid with Eichenberg being a little contentious due to us given away the 2022 3rd rounder to move up (fortunately we made a smart move to get value later and recoup a 4th which must be taken into account). Holland was another pick looking at moving forward as we do need to solidify the middle of the field and this kid can grow and then replace McCain in the rotation who some think is massively overpaid.

The TE in the 3rd was seen as a luxury by some but with Gesicki and Smythe both being off contract at the end of the season it's another smart move to replenish our TE room with a young kid who can settle in for a season working alongside the veterans.

We then trade our 5th round pick to the Steelers for a 4th rounder which to me is a win and helps soften the blow of having to trade up for Eichenberg some what. I believe the Steelers are likely to be middle of the road this coming season and worse if Rothlesberger regresses so worse case scenario imo is we are looking at a pick in the middle of the 4th round. It was also good to see us not forcing a pick and instead gaining value which is the sign of a decent front office.

The 7th round picks were interesting enough as we must have delved deep to find the OT who looks like a project with a lot of upside, we also doubled up and picked a back who will fit into the rotation and looking at this stats hasn't got miles and miles on the tyres which is always far better in my opinion than taking a kid at this stage of the draft who has been a college workhorse.

Overall I gave the draft a B grade - I like the picks but giving up next years 3rd to move up a few slots negates the A grade for me personally.

I also look at the factors that can't be measured. Waddle will make the other receivers more productive. Phillips should make Ogbah and the others more productive. I like any pick who can elevate an entire group.

I give this draft an A

I think the improvements to our O'line make our run game better negating the need to draft RB on the first or even second day. We picked up playmakers on both sides of the ball that will be starters come Game 1 and we positioned ourselves for responsible salary cap management for the next 4-5 years. Add to that the huge increase in the cap next year and we could really be able to take care of our own if they turn into career Dolphins.

I don't put a lot of stock in all the 'value' talk or what players we should have picked. We have a great draft class and we're going to win more games this year than we did last year. I've seen a lot of love on NFL.com for the Dolphins draft class something which I am not used to seeing, there is even talk of "being playoff bound" and "sneaky pick to win the AFC East" which I haven't seen in more than a decade on mainstream sites. I'll take that as confirmation a lot of analysts liked our draft as well.

Also lost in most of the discussions on the players we picked up is the fact we added a 4th round pick next year for our 5th this year. I'm very happy with this draft!

2 of 3 biggest needs not assessed and I think they picked the wrong WR

A

Waddle is a home run pick. Phillips has a lot of injury concerns but top level athlete. Holland alone gets an A+. Eichenberg is a late first rounder so that’s a good value pick and Hunter long is the most complete tight end in the draft. Coleman has a lot of potential but could suck and it’s the reverse for Doakes. Not a ton of potential very high floor. Great pass protector and catching back.

if Phillips didn’t have concussion issues it’s an A+

Particularly agree on picks 1-3. Holland moves like a smaller Safety. Kept getting McCourty vibes, but he's significantly bigger. He also gives you ++ ball skills and instincts, and he tackles. These are all players with the talent to be among the best players at their positions.

Made the offense and defense a lot more dangerous. Phillips is good enough to hit 8+ sacks as a rookie. Holland will improve coverage, get his hands on balls, and do good work in the box. Waddle is going to make his fair share of big plays, and he'll create a ton of space for everyone else. Can't get over the idea of Fuller and Waddle on the field together 😻😻😻

B+
I knew going in they didn't have enough picks to fill every hole but i think they did fine.

A few head scatchers along they way but in the end i see their vision.

Now lets kick some @ss!!

Ozzie Newsome is my idea of a draft guru. IIRC he said if you get three starters out of a draft you have won.

To me this draft was the perfect combination of BPA and team needs/fits.

We already have the big body, back shoulder, 50/50 jump ball WR's. We added Fuller, get Wilson back, and drafted Waddle. Perfect compliment to what we have. We can win with speed and/or physicality, especially when you factor in Gesicki. IMHO Waddle was our first choice and we were able to trade down and still snag him. Total home run and immediate starter.

Phillips was a big need and clearly the best talent in a weak year. There is more to the concussion thing that meets the eye. I'd say it was a combination of a Moped/car accident and a need to get away from Chip Kelly. I think we got a very special player, at a position of need, at a great discount. Another home run and immediate starter.

How long have we dreamed of having a great FS? We had our choice of all of them and we picked the one who was the best fit. Many gave him, or at least on of the S's, a first round grade. Another home run and immediate starter.

Eichenberg was considered a fringe first rounder. The FO liked him enough to move up to get him. Many here have been banging the table to move Hunt inside as he will be a pro bowl guard. He has been solid three year stater at a major program. Very low bust and a safe but un-sexy pick. Has the potential to improve O-line at both guard and tackle if he pans out. And he should, be it at RT or LT. I could see Jackson moving to RT. I won't call this a home run but it is at least a double:) I do think he will be an immediate starter.

Hunter Long is a solid traditional TE. I have called Gesicki a drunken baby giraffe with no awareness for the needs of his position. Both him and Smythe are in contract years. This was a BPA/fit. We don't want any player to be a tell. Adam Sheehan and Hunter Long are the type of TE's this team needs. TE's that are closer to 50/50 in blocking and receiving. Next year I see Long as the starter.

I see Gerrid Doaks as a short yardage solution. We keep paying money for FA solutions. Why not fill that need with a cheap draft contract. Think Lousaka Polite type role. Certainly not a starter but likely a day one contributor depending on Malcome Brown.

Back
Top Bottom