Grading Hickey's Signings | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading Hickey's Signings

Perhaps the OP has one of these...
crystalBall1-1.jpg

Then he needs to share!

F... has anyone seen the deal Monroe got. Maybe monroe had no interest in miami idk. We way overlayed and could have waited for monroe to set the market then take our pick of veldher or albert. Poorly handled.

Just my 2 cents, take them how you will.

Brent Grimes: A
Signed for a fair value and a term that is fair for both sides. Avoided the franchise tag, great deal for both sides and structured well.

Louis Delmas: B
I loved Delmas out of college and although I'm not sold on his ability to stay healthy we paid him pretty little and if we have a good backup plan it's low risk high reward. Like the leadership and playmaking ability he brings, worried that he isn't the best compliment to Jones but think his range will be good enough.

Branden Albert: C-
C+ being average we got a blindside protector which was my #1 move to start the offseason. Unfortunately IMO we paid the 3rd best OT easily the most money...value wise out of the top 5 I'd put him 4th ahead of Saffold. I think Collins has a similar skill set and is cheaper, younger and without an injury history. I'm convinced that both Monroe and Veldheer are equal or superior players. Risky move, better options out there and surprisingly they came cheaper. Think Veldheer would've been perfect here. Don't have to agree, just my thoughts.

Earl Mitchell: B+
This reminds me of the Starks deal a while back, he could be a real sleeper. Haven't really watched him but like what I've heard and seems to be a fit. Solis I wasn't worth more than 5.5 and Starks would've been a luxury with Odrick on his rookie deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
F... has anyone seen the deal Monroe got. Maybe monroe had no interest in miami idk. We way overlayed and could have waited for monroe to set the market then take our pick of veldher or albert. Poorly handled.

Monroe had to settle for that deal because no one called for his services. Very well handled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

I'm not overly excited by any of them other than Grimes. Albert better hold up

Exactly. He loves not signing a known beast like Starks or Soliai for big money, suggesting we were smart and got a great player for cheaper.

But, when we overpay for a known good player at LT, it was also a brilliant move.

And the beast Starks sits idly, unsigned.

First off he had NO interest in playing with anyone other than Baltimore. The market was set by what we payed Albert and he received 2million a year less. Raiders made no move on him...Cards made no move on him. Obviously these teams knew that Monroe was going nowhere. Waiting for Monroe to set the market while all the top LTs signed elsewhere would have been poorly handled

First off he had NO interest in playing with anyone other than Baltimore. The market was set by what we payed Albert and he received 2million a year less. Raiders made no move on him...Cards made no move on him. Obviously these teams knew that Monroe was going nowhere. Waiting for Monroe to set the market while all the top LTs signed elsewhere would have been poorly handled

The Raiders and Dolphins aren't exactly renowned for their astute talent evaluation...the Cardinals very easily could have considered Veldheer the better player long term, I personally did too. More than one way to look at it.

Would you like to tell me that Delmas is better than Clemons?

Would you like to tell me that Mitchell is better than Starks?

IMO, we got worse at both positions but, am looking forward to you showing where I am wrong????

I agree with you Southbeach.
Statistically, Delmas is worse the Clemmons and Mitchell is worse than Solai and Starks.
Supposedly, Mitchell was out of position in Houston, so I will reserve judgement until I see the dline wreaking havoc on Brady.
Grimes was a great signing.
Right now, my total grade for these guys is C+
I would feel much better about this Dline if King Paul was resigned.

The Raiders and Dolphins aren't exactly renowned for their astute talent evaluation...the Cardinals very easily could have considered Veldheer the better player long term, I personally did too. More than one way to look at it.
Agreed...but it was pretty obvious that these teams backed off from Monroe and moved on to different choices. Waiting around to see what Monroe chose to do with have been a disaster

Grimes - A+ Our MVP last year. Had to be resigned and we did it early and at a reasonable cost.

Albert - A- Exactly what we needed most. Pricey, but necessary.

Mitchell - A- Potential filled. Somewhat of an unknown. Young and athletic at a great price. Very reminiscent of the Starks signing.

Delmas - B Potential filled. Interesting signing though may not be the answer we need at FS.

So far so good. There's a lot involved in building a team, but this is a good start.

Agreed...but it was pretty obvious that these teams backed off from Monroe and moved on to different choices. Waiting around to see what Monroe chose to do with have been a disaster

I think we showed our hand too soon, and it's concerning to me that they evaluated Branden as the best value on the market. Branden set the market, if we'd offered Monroe a similar contract to Albert, same goes for Veldheer I highly doubt they pass it up,

I think we showed our hand too soon, and it's concerning to me that they evaluated Branden as the best value on the market. Branden set the market, if we'd offered Monroe a similar contract to Albert, same goes for Veldheer I highly doubt they pass it up,

The Fins wanted Albert not Monroe so they got their man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

FYI, Prisco historically hates Miami, and he gave the signing a B.

I will take it!

Back
Top Bottom