Greedy...I dont think so. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greedy...I dont think so.

I don't think anyone (surely not myself) is defending TO and the contract he signed LAST year. To me, TO is a selfish ba$tard with immense talent, unfortunately nowadays those two sets of adjectives are most times married to one another...

GreenMonster said:
Tell T.O. if he can recover some of the money the Eagles paid FredEx for his paltry production he can have it. He should atleast wait 2 years to ask for a new deal.. Not the Eageles fault that T.O. signed a Joe Horn like deal, he knew what he was worth last year too...

Why is it all right to ask for a new deal after 2 years ??????
TO agreed to the length of his contract. If he only wanted a 2 year deal he shouldnt have signed a longer one.
As I stated earlier, I dont care if a player is in the 9th year of a 10 year contract, and is considered to be in the top 5 at his position. He agreed to the deal so he should have to live with it.

What I think, at least in this example, is that nothing will ever be good enough for TO. He complained in San Francisco about not getting the ball enough, Jeff Garcia wasn't good enough, Steve Mariucci wasn't good enough, etc., and he got his wish to be traded. But whoops, it was to Baltimore, a team he didn't want to play for. So he complained until he got out of that and was traded to Philadelphia instead. All is well for a year but now he wants to re-work a contract he just signed last year for more money. More complaining. Oh yeah, and how about all those publicity stunts he has pulled over the years.....the Dallas star, the Sharpie, the pom-poms, the Desperate Housewives intro.....and he complains about how he is negatively portrayed by the media. Well, he doesn't exactly do a lot to help his image. I love TO's aggression and ability on the field, and I admire his amazing comeback to play, and have a great game, in the Super Bowl. But I have grown tired of all his complaining.

DolphinzD said:
What I think, at least in this example, is that nothing will ever be good enough for TO. He complained in San Francisco about not getting the ball enough, Jeff Garcia wasn't good enough, Steve Mariucci wasn't good enough, etc., and he got his wish to be traded. But whoops, it was to Baltimore, a team he didn't want to play for. So he complained until he got out of that and was traded to Philadelphia instead. All is well for a year but now he wants to re-work a contract he just signed last year for more money. More complaining. Oh yeah, and how about all those publicity stunts he has pulled over the years.....the Dallas star, the Sharpie, the pom-poms, the Desperate Housewives intro.....and he complains about how he is negatively portrayed by the media. Well, he doesn't exactly do a lot to help his image. I love TO's aggression and ability on the field, and I admire his amazing comeback to play, and have a great game, in the Super Bowl. But I have grown tired of all his complaining.

Don't forget that his agent flubbed his paperwork which would have allowed him to void the remaining years of his contract and hit FA market and the Eagles DID NOT HAVE to give him one more penny more than his old contract called for but reworked his deal anyway...

apples to oranges, but TO's current deal: 7 yrs./$49 million (not guaranteed) is worth less than the last deal elden campbell signed with the lakers: 7 yrs./$49 million guaranteed.

and yes, the eagles did not have to give him anything. i think TO has gotten horrible advice from his new agent. he was being a good citizen in philly, and he could have easily made some extra coin with endorsements. now i'm not as sure about that...

First of all, get over the numbers. Yes they make obscene amounts of money, but that's the way it is. And the difference of 60k vs 70k, or 7 million vs 8 mil, or $6/hr vs $7/hr is just as legitimate to them in their occupation. Are cops, teachers etc. more deserving of big paydays? Of course, but this is the system we have.

Now the reality is that both sides are really trying to rip off the other. You hope for undervalued rookies (like Zach and JT were) to outperform their salaries (underpaying them). Once they prove their abilities, they want a big contract that pays even if they don't continue to perform at the same level, with as much guaranteed $$ as possible (getting overpaid). First round draft picks get paid ridiculous amounts based on speculation (often way overpaid).

The only equitable system would be based on a base draw salary by position and maybe years in the league, then a set bonus system based on productivity. So a rookie DT might get a lower draw, but if he gets x amount of tackles, sacks, etc, it goes up. TO might get a higher base salary due to his years in the league and wr might be a higher paying position. If he performs like he has, he would earn huge bonuses, if he underperformed, he doesn't break the bank.

Of course, this would never happen. Players union wouldn't go for it, and it would be too difficult to figure cap, etc. But barring that, good players are certainly within their rights to try to extract as much $$ as they can, just like the team can decide to let him sit, or cut him when he's not performing to their expectations. Is he selfish? Of course, but the days of teams paying veterans out of loyalty are over, otherwise we wouldn't have Seau, so it works both ways.

kbeath said:
Why are all these players that are holding out considered Greedy?:confused: We all want all the money we bring to our respective companies not a cent less but when its a pro athlete than its GREED. :shakeno: I keep hearing "respect your contract" that is funny I dont remember too many contracts that the teams keep. They are always cutting people to free up salary cap space and to stop from paying all the money from the back loaded contract. FOOTBALL CONTRACTS ARE NOT GUARENTEED. Only the signing bonuses. TO may be a jerk but come on the guy is getting paid like the 10th best WR in the league when you are lying if you think you can name 3 better. Same thing goes for Walker as far as getting what your worth. Like it or not these players bring millions of dollars in revenue for there teams and the city they live in. It is unfair to throw the lable GREEDY around. If we were the 10th highest paid employeer for a company we were the absolute most productive worker at, we would all be Pissed! So isnt all this GREEDY stuff HYPOCRITICAL!:fire:

Thank you NFLPA...

While there is no doubt the contracts seem to be written to protect the teams, it also is good business for both the NFL and the players. The current system, while considered by some to be "unfair" to an aging veteran, keeps the balance of young and old on teams and allows easier fixes to rebuilding teams. They can mix the drafted players with some vets that have only a year or so left. That keeps the competition level up. Is is completely fair ? Well no system is completely fair..there are 53 men on 32 teams and that is limit of number of players. Only the best players are kept...The teams job is to weigh the value of a younger player who is hopefully about to blossom to the value of keeping an older guy who is a step slower or has some diminishing skills. The player is just looking out for himself and that to many of us seems like greed, because they are talking about millions of dollars where most of us can only see tens and hundreds of dollars. You also state that the players are bringing in millions of dollars in revenue, the owners are also paying out millions of dollars in salary, benefits, medical benefits, insurance and retirement funds, as well as striving to maintain competitiveness in their teams...you think that Cincy brings in as much as Dallas in revenue ?? No way, but they pay out nearly as much in compensation to the players...your blanket statement as to "millions of dollars of revenue" must be taken in context to the whole picture...

All this said, I still can't look at TO complaining about a $7.5 million dollar bonus and hear him say that he needs more to take care of his "family". So, IMHO, while there are two sides to every story, in some cases, like TO...he should honor his contract, based on what I know of the situation.

islandah said:
First of all, get over the numbers. Yes they make obscene amounts of money, but that's the way it is. And the difference of 60k vs 70k, or 7 million vs 8 mil, or $6/hr vs $7/hr is just as legitimate to them in their occupation. Are cops, teachers etc. more deserving of big paydays? Of course, but this is the system we have.

Now the reality is that both sides are really trying to rip off the other. You hope for undervalued rookies (like Zach and JT were) to outperform their salaries (underpaying them). Once they prove their abilities, they want a big contract that pays even if they don't continue to perform at the same level, with as much guaranteed $$ as possible (getting overpaid). First round draft picks get paid ridiculous amounts based on speculation (often way overpaid).

The only equitable system would be based on a base draw salary by position and maybe years in the league, then a set bonus system based on productivity. So a rookie DT might get a lower draw, but if he gets x amount of tackles, sacks, etc, it goes up. TO might get a higher base salary due to his years in the league and wr might be a higher paying position. If he performs like he has, he would earn huge bonuses, if he underperformed, he doesn't break the bank.

Of course, this would never happen. Players union wouldn't go for it, and it would be too difficult to figure cap, etc. But barring that, good players are certainly within their rights to try to extract as much $$ as they can, just like the team can decide to let him sit, or cut him when he's not performing to their expectations. Is he selfish? Of course, but the days of teams paying veterans out of loyalty are over, otherwise we wouldn't have Seau, so it works both ways.

Unfortunately, you are correct, excess or not.

Thanks to those who are open minded. I have been called some names but its all good TO if he gets his money good for him if he doesnt who gives a hoot. Its funny how many people cannot see that the league wants the fans to get mad at TO so it plays to the teams hand. The fact is TO had to sign that contract. He wanted to play with mcnabb cause mc nabb is black. I am in an interracial marriage so this isnt racism it is facts. He wanted and thought he could give McNabb the ring and the both of them would have had got the glory but it didnt turn out. Due to the fact he did not want to play for the Ravens he was willing to take the smaller contract..I am sure he new he would reneg at the end of the season. Oh yeah and J Walker was a beast for Fantasy Football what ru smokin!!! Walker deserves the money if he gets it and if he gets cut he deserves that i guess.:eek:

kbeath said:
The fact is TO had to sign that contract. He wanted to play with mcnabb cause mcnabb is black. this isnt racism it is facts.

You lost me here dude. :confused:

Come on somebody had said something about the media and then Mc Nabb was on fire. I am willing to bet that played into TO wanting to play with Mc Nabb it is not a knock on anyone but I believe it is true. My wife(she is mixed) is very involved in her african american hertage and black pride. I think its good and she really thinks that was a big reason TO wanted Mc Nabb.

kbeath said:
Come on somebody had said something about the media and then Mc Nabb was on fire. I am willing to bet that played into TO wanting to play with Mc Nabb it is not a knock on anyone but I believe it is true. My wife(she is mixed) is very involved in her african american hertage and black pride. I think its good and she really thinks that was a big reason TO wanted Mc Nabb.

OK, but thats hardly a "Fact".

kbeath said:
Why are all these players that are holding out considered Greedy?:confused: We all want all the money we bring to our respective companies not a cent less but when its a pro athlete than its GREED. :shakeno: I keep hearing "respect your contract" that is funny I dont remember too many contracts that the teams keep. They are always cutting people to free up salary cap space and to stop from paying all the money from the back loaded contract. FOOTBALL CONTRACTS ARE NOT GUARENTEED. Only the signing bonuses. TO may be a jerk but come on the guy is getting paid like the 10th best WR in the league when you are lying if you think you can name 3 better. Same thing goes for Walker as far as getting what your worth. Like it or not these players bring millions of dollars in revenue for there teams and the city they live in. It is unfair to throw the lable GREEDY around. If we were the 10th highest paid employeer for a company we were the absolute most productive worker at, we would all be Pissed! So isnt all this GREEDY stuff HYPOCRITICAL!:fire:

Get your facts straight Owens is not paid like the 10th best WR, infact the average of his contract makes him the 2nd or 3rd highest paid WR in the league.

In 2006, Owens' base salary will drop to $770,000, then rise to $5.5 million in 2007, $6.5 million in 2008, $7.5 million in 2009 and $8.5 million in 2010. Over the life of the deal, Owens will average $6.6 million per year, making him the second- or third-highest-paid receiver, behind Oakland's Randy Moss and possibly Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison.

The guy just signed the deal last season, he is being greedy!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-lurienodealforto&prov=knight&type=lgns

I know its been mentioned but Holding out and getting terms is all part of the NFL Players UNION. So in all the examples of some guy holding out in his local office branch cause he's most productive... well that analogy does NOT work. Union rules are totally different the right to work or standard work laws/rules. S does every single player have the right to hold out.. YUP. And why the hell do you care if they hold out. Its not affecting you!

kbeath said:
TO may be a jerk but come on the guy is getting paid like the 10th best WR in the league when you are lying if you think you can name 3 better.

Randy Moss

Marvin Harrison

Id like to say Chambers (hes close but not there yet)

As far as weather or not hes greedy, I just graduated and am hoping and praying for a job to start me at 50k and up. (kinda makes you think:tongue:)

Back
Top Bottom