Greg Cosell Compares Josh Rosen To Jared Goff. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cosell Compares Josh Rosen To Jared Goff.

It's not a comparison so much as an archetype. Cosell is saying that if everything works out for Josh Rosen, if he trains on the way he needs to, and if the coaching staff can hold his hand enough, then you could see another Jared Goff.

What he doesn't say in there is that he considers Jared Goff to be a system quarterback that can only achieve great results in a very narrow set of circumstances.

I don’t see Any comparison in the arms....Rosen is far superior potentially in my opinion...what do you think?

Dan Marino was a system.

If Dan Marino had been on those Niner teams of the 80’s & 90’s..or the Patriot teams of the past 18 years...we wouldn’t be calling him the greatest QB to never win a championship...we’d be calling him GOAT....and with the 2004 rules changes his passing numbers would dwarf Brees, Brady and Manning...just sayin’!

If Dan Marino had been on those Niner teams of the 80’s & 90’s..or the Patriot teams of the past 18 years...we wouldn’t be calling him the greatest QB to never win a championship...we’d be calling him GOAT....and with the 2004 rules changes his passing numbers would dwarf Brees, Brady and Manning...just sayin’!
Yessir! Without a doubt.

It's not a comparison so much as an archetype. Cosell is saying that if everything works out for Josh Rosen, if he trains on the way he needs to, and if the coaching staff can hold his hand enough, then you could see another Jared Goff.

What he doesn't say in there is that he considers Jared Goff to be a system quarterback that can only achieve great results in a very narrow set of circumstances.

For one, I don't see a huge knock on system QB's. If a guy executes, he executes.

I think Rosen has more arm talent than Goff. If this guy nails it in one system and gets a feel for the NFL game I think he'll be more adaptable.

In some ways, yes, but Rosen is a higher-variance QB than Goff. He reminds me more of Eli Manning.
I can see that. And that's my problem. I've always thought Manning might be the most overrated QB in recent history. I've never been a fan of his. I think he had one really good season and a couple of hot streaks in in the post season. I am hoping for more from a "franchise" type QB.

Brady is a system QB. So was Montana. Which is why saying guys are system QB's doesn't have to be an insult. System QB's still have to execute over and over to make it anywhere and guys like Montana and Brady made their names by doing so at the biggest stage over and over.

Damning with faint praise. Eli Manning, overrated as he may be, I'd happily take. Let's hope Rosen gets as far as becoming an established NFL starter.

Damning with faint praise. Eli Manning, overrated as he may be, I'd happily take. Let's hope Rosen gets as far as becoming an established NFL starter.

I think it's possible that their numbers could end up being similar - Rosen seems like a guy who could make some plays and some mistakes over the course of his career. The two will go about it quite different though. Eli, sometimes to his benefit and sometimes to his detriment, has in some ways been the antithesis of his brother who was super cerebral while Eli played with a casual unflappability. Rosen seems fiery and perenially pissed off.

A player is only as good as the work he puts in. There are tons of players with equal talent it’s a matter of what they do extra to get better. I have not heard of Rosen doing anything extra outside of team activity. I believe Don Shula told players that same thing Troy Vincent on record saying something similar.

To be real I think Rosen can be good but right OC have to be w him. In beginning to show him success or believe in him. If he fet last yr out of his mind and win starting job he will be good here or somewhere else

Rosen has decent pocket awareness--whereas Tannehill would be sacked throughout the game

I think it's possible that their numbers could end up being similar - Rosen seems like a guy who could make some plays and some mistakes over the course of his career. The two will go about it quite different though. Eli, sometimes to his benefit and sometimes to his detriment, has in some ways been the antithesis of his brother who was super cerebral while Eli played with a casual unflappability. Rosen seems fiery and perenially pissed off.
Yes, I see the similarity in styles. But it's far from certain Rosen will amount to anything yet. Another good comparison, ironically, could be Fitzpatrick himself.

I can see that. And that's my problem. I've always thought Manning might be the most overrated QB in recent history. I've never been a fan of his. I think he had one really good season and a couple of hot streaks in in the post season. I am hoping for more from a "franchise" type QB.

That’s exactly what Eli’s done. And other than the fact Eli literally turns his back on contact on bail out throws rosen did exactly the same thing on that almost awful int to Preston Williams. That’s the kind of throw that should have you on the bench.

You just can’t float that kinda stuff up there like that.

Rosen has decent pocket awareness--whereas Tannehill would be sacked throughout the game
Tannehill is a much better QB than Rosen. Rosen will be a back up QB in 2 years and Tannehill be starting in Tennessee.

He led the Giants to two Super Bowl wins which is more than some of the best in the history of the game, like Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees. You’ll always be disappointed if you’re hoping for more.

Back
Top Bottom