Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DOLFANS, MEDIA WANT IT BOTH WAYS, HAVE IT WRONG IN BLASTING TANNENBAUM HIRE: Herald colleague Manny Navarro has a smart post in his "Eye On the U" Hurricanes blog, under the headline, "Mountain of negativity only makes things worse." The accurate and unfortunate point is no matter what Al Golden does or says, he'll be vilified 1aa1amiketby a waiting mob. Well, the same mindset envelopes the Dolphins in the negativity of too many of their fans and so many of the media who cover them -- as we have seen anew in the wake of yesterday's hiring for former New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum (pictured) as executive vice president of football operations. The perpetually negative wing of the fandom and media would have it both ways: First complaining about the status quo and lack of change ... and then complaining, instantly, in knee-jerk fashion, when the club does something, anything. I hate being a voice of reason here; it's so unfashionable (!). But people are getting way too caught up in organizational flow charts and who reports to whom. Look, cut to the chase: This bolsters the club's front office. Tannenbaum is an experienced NFL talent evaluator and AFC East expert who helped guide two Jets teams to the AFC championship game. Adding his eyes, mind and voice cannot hurt. The reality is this: Joe Philbin is right now still a marginal, yet-to-be-proven commodity as head coach, a guy who very well might have been let go rather than retained after a third straight year out of the playoffs. And Dennis Hickey, though he has done a nice job in his first year as GM, does not have the resume' heft that makes him beyond getting help. If Tannenbaum's arrival underlines that Philbin and Hickey will be fighting for their jobs in 2015, so be it. That was the case even before this move. I don't find the hiring of Tannenbaum to be misguided or ill-timed or any of that comically premature overreaction. I find it to be interesting and see its potential. Can we at least let the man report to work (his first day is Feb. 1) before we form an angry picket line outside his office?
Read more here: http://blogs.herald.com/random_evid...r-a-two-week-holiday-hiatu.html#storylink=cpy

Didn't Greg Cote think running Shula into retirement was the right move back in '95?

what's the guys name that's like a lacky for the team on the team website??? it's not this guy is it??? whoever that guy is he is a lap dog

what's the guys name that's like a lacky for the team on the team website??? it's not this guy is it??? whoever that guy is he is a lap dog

No, Cote writes for the Herald. I don't dislike Cote or anything, but like Edwin Pope, he has had some truly terrible opinions throughout the years. Edwin Pope gets held up as some kind of amazing sportswriter, even though he wrote some of the dumbest **** on earth in the 1970s. Stuff like "Dolphins need to fire Shula and trade Griese" in '76 because the team had one poor season.

These guys aren't any smarter than any fan.

Respect is earned. Let's see Miami make a string of Good moves for once.

The whole article make no sense. Yes wwe want change but change where's needed. Philbin is the one that needs to be let go after 3 years of the same crap. Hickey on the other hand is the one who did a good job in only 1 season and Ross puts somebody over him.

I think you're thinking of Andy Cohen...he's a huge homer and makes every move sound like it's an excellent decision by the Dolphins.

Andy Cohen. I read his piece about the situation this morning. I knew it would be a positive fluff piece, and it was. I threw up a little in my mouth...

I believe you are thinking of Andy Cohen.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Andy Cohen. I read his piece about the situation this morning. I knew it would be a positive fluff piece, and it was. I threw up a little in my mouth...

I read it last night also but knew what to expect before I did.

I would love to see a good pro-con analysis of what Tannenbaum did during his time in NYJ. My personal negative reaction is based on what happened at the end of his tenure there, and that is what people remember. The end of anyone's tenure anywhere tends to be a disaster, which is why they have an end of tenure to begin with. We remember how Shula got "run out of here", but he might have been done a favor. Had he come back in 1996, he was facing a salary cap nightmare and a ton of free agents. The following season could have been a train wreck, tarnishing his legacy worse. And these are the things that stick with people, the disastrous endings. I am not keen on this move (which I admit may be out of ignorance- NYJunc did point out in a post a bunch of really good player acquisitions Tbaum made) but I am willing to admit that I would be interested in seeing a pretty detailed study of his moves and that I may be overreacting in my heartbreak for my team. I just wish if this move were going to be made, a czar (which is not a move I mind) with a more celebrated/reputable track record have been chosen and then produced for fan consumption.

I believe you are thinking of Andy Cohen.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

I read it last night also but knew what to expect before I did.

Has that guy ever written anything negative about the team. I remember the whole Bullygate scandal and wanting to read his take on things to see how he spins it. I noticed a lot fewer articles by him in those couple of months. I guess if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!

I'm in the minority on the board, I don't dislike the hire of Mike Tannenbaum either, I think in the end it will work to Miami's benefit.

Back
Top Bottom