Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire

This is way off topic, but Shu's was done dude. Just because JJ got burned that doesn't make that decision wrong.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that topic. We came off of a division crown the year before and got into the playoffs again and although we lost to the Bills due to, once again, our poor rushing defense, at least we made it to the Playoffs and we were always in the mix this time of year unlike now.

Now if you're looking for the successful repeat of the early 70s then obviously you would be disappointed. Shula was not done at that point. He needed to get rid of Olivadotti but as a coach himself he was still good and 100x better than the bs we've put up with since 2000.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that topic. We came off of a division crown the year before and got into the playoffs again and although we lost to the Bills due to, once again, our poor rushing defense, at least we made it to the Playoffs and we were always in the mix this time of year unlike now.

Now if you're looking for the successful repeat of the early 70s then obviously you would be disappointed. Shula was not done at that point. He needed to get rid of Olivadotti but as a coach himself he was still good and 100x better than the bs we've put up with since 2000.

Everything you mentioned is right, but I think you would have to agree most ppl viewed Shu's as a coach that was left behind, as far as the NFL game at that time. It happens to every great coach. They simply get old. Players and fans simply look at them and see a OLD man. It's not an insult, it's just life.

JJ was a wonderful decision IMO. He got burned out and his Mother died. Life caught up with JJ. I don't think the game passed him by.

No, Cote writes for the Herald. I don't dislike Cote or anything, but like Edwin Pope, he has had some truly terrible opinions throughout the years. Edwin Pope gets held up as some kind of amazing sportswriter, even though he wrote some of the dumbest **** on earth in the 1970s. Stuff like "Dolphins need to fire Shula and trade Griese" in '76 because the team had one poor season.

These guys aren't any smarter than any fan.

First of all, sportswriters historically aren't judged based on opinions. Edwin Pope was always an excellent writer and story teller, with a classy relaxed southern style based on his Georgia roots. He was exactly the opposite of the ranting Bar Stool type of sportswriter. That type was relegated to small irrelevant papers. Now somehow that style is preferred. Edwin Pope was always a calming influence if things were going poorly for local teams, and an ideal perspective setter when we were dominating. He was so well respected by local coaches and players that they befriended him. Griese has mentioned many times that he took Pope's advice on family and relationship matters, since Griese's young family came along not much later than Pope had gone through it.

I don't think Edwin Pope called for Shula to be fired and Griese to be traded after the 1976 season. I'm going to estimate it didn't happen. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I'll default to probability. I like the odds in my favor. First of all, I don't remember it. The Dolphins were a huge part of my life as a teenager. Two of my best friends were sons of assistant coaches. If Shula were fired their father's jobs would also be in jeopardy. Secondly, it makes very little sense. Edwin Pope was the guy who recommended Don Shula to Joe Robbie after the 1969 season. After two Super Bowl wins including an unbeaten season, a guy of Pope's stature and caliber would have to completely break tendency to overreact to that extreme. Besides, he was an off-field friend of Griese, as I mentioned. The first semi-doubting column from Pope regarding Griese that I remember was in 1978 when Griese suffered a knee injury and Pope wrote that Griese at age 33 might "find this a toughie" to fully return.

Edwin Pope was huge on loyalty. He savaged Lou Saban for bolting the Canes after two seasons following the 1978 season. Pope would have had zero credibility in the matter if he'd ranted for Robbie to fire Shula and dump Griese just two years earlier.

I'd have to see the column to believe it. Pope might have thrown out a brief mention in a column devoted to multiple possibilities but I'd be shocked if it were a theme he pushed. Maybe somebody else in the local media offered that view. There were out of the box types like Al "Super Fan" Minter who loved to take the most severe angle based on recent outcomes. The difference was, he did it with a grin and playful style, like you knew he was half serious and mostly probing the public for humorous reaction.

If a subsequent book on that Dolphin era makes that claim about a Pope theme from 1976, I still wouldn't be convinced. Those books make factual errors or twist things out of place all the time, like "Cane Mutiny" which asserted that Miami was a 49 point underdog in Jim Kelly's famous upset at Penn State in 1979. Nice try. Some of us were already involved. That spread was 19.5.

Again, I'm not going to 100% guarantee Pope didn't write those themes. I'll say no while weighing all the sensible attachments. Nobody was really crushed after 1976. Surprised, but not calling for heads. We understood the impact of losing Csonka, Kiick and Warfield before they played their final season in 1974. If anybody overreacted to 1976 it might have been from the afternoon Miami News.

Here's the type of classy warm column Edwin Pope would write in his prime. Note the date, Christmas Eve 1976. So the Dolphins have finished Shula's first losing season. Among all the blurbs covering dozens of categories, sporting and non sporting, Pope mentions Shula and Griese briefly. Both in a positive note. Doesn't sound like a guy who just called for removing both of them, in a season that ended less than two weeks earlier:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...uMLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jVgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5344,1994090

I'm not so mad at the Tannenbaum hiring because of him, I'm mmore mad about creating another Chief, when we should be focused on upgrading Philbin or Coyle, or our LB coach. Just seems that Ross is trying to fix non-problems instead of the ones that are clearly deifned.

Ross is super impressed with cutting edge technology. Garfinkle is tech savvy and so is MT. Let's face it, Ross is not a football guy and he lives in NY. Now we have a vet football guy on site. I think the FO will work together for the betterment of the team. We needed this type of hire so that Ross isn't making decisions that he's not qualified to make. Initially I hated having anything to do with an ex-Jet but once you get past that MT might be a great hire. He's not an old relic like Carl Peterson or a big bag of wind like the version of Bill Parcells who came to the Dolphins. The big question is why didn't this post go to Marino?

Why are we ripping Andy Cohen? I've always thought he was a good guy and a true Dolphin fan down deep. He appears on the Finsider show sometimes and is always a well informed guest. Should we dislike him because he's a Dolphin homer? NO, we shouldn't. The anger should be directed at Philbin who imo is hurting the team with his tighta**, play not to lose style.

It's not that I support the move in a "hooray, yeah!" way, but Cote's absolutely right in that negativity is eating everybody's brains. Tannebaum in a GM capacity? Horrible, that would be awful. In the capacity he was hired in? Whatever.

I for one am excited about the coming year. We have a capable GM, we finally have an offense with a real QB after a zillion years, and a defense's fortunes can change overnight (see Cowboys, Dallas) in a way an offense can't. ST, a huger understated reason for our struggles this season, can also be fixed pretty quick.

So whatever, everyone go blow their brains out, I'll check back when things are more bearable around here.

Yeah us Fans have not won a playoff game since 2001. We suck...

Stay patient. Draft OL. Go 8-8 again. Seems cool to me Amigo. Nice to be back...
If Philbin can come back, I should be able to as well...

Ross is super impressed with cutting edge technology. Garfinkle is tech savvy and so is MT. Let's face it, Ross is not a football guy and he lives in NY. Now we have a vet football guy on site. I think the FO will work together for the betterment of the team. We needed this type of hire so that Ross isn't making decisions that he's not qualified to make. Initially I hated having anything to do with an ex-Jet but once you get past that MT might be a great hire. He's not an old relic like Carl Peterson or a big bag of wind like the version of Bill Parcells who came to the Dolphins. The big question is why didn't this post go to Marino?

Why are we ripping Andy Cohen? I've always thought he was a good guy and a true Dolphin fan down deep. He appears on the Finsider show sometimes and is always a well informed guest. Should we dislike him because he's a Dolphin homer? NO, we shouldn't. The anger should be directed at Philbin who imo is hurting the team with his tighta**, play not to lose style.

Well said. The only thing I don't want is TBaum making personel decisions, and I'll be happy

Back
Top Bottom