Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire

This will eventually work in time.

I do not hate it.

Those of you irrationally believing a system of rewarding failure and punishing competence will work out are hopefully right because success or failure Tannenbaum will be running this team for the next decade.

Respect is earned. Let's see Miami make a string of Good moves for once.

If that's the case, no one would comment on the hire until the end of this year when the season is over and it's fair to comment.

Since that's not ever going to happen on a site like this I don't know what else to tell ya.

I would love to see a good pro-con analysis of what Tannenbaum did during his time in NYJ. My personal negative reaction is based on what happened at the end of his tenure there, and that is what people remember. The end of anyone's tenure anywhere tends to be a disaster, which is why they have an end of tenure to begin with. We remember how Shula got "run out of here", but he might have been done a favor. Had he come back in 1996, he was facing a salary cap nightmare and a ton of free agents. The following season could have been a train wreck, tarnishing his legacy worse. And these are the things that stick with people, the disastrous endings. I am not keen on this move (which I admit may be out of ignorance- NYJunc did point out in a post a bunch of really good player acquisitions Tbaum made) but I am willing to admit that I would be interested in seeing a pretty detailed study of his moves and that I may be overreacting in my heartbreak for my team. I just wish if this move were going to be made, a czar (which is not a move I mind) with a more celebrated/reputable track record have been chosen and then produced for fan consumption.

You mean that list of like 10 players that included Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes on the good list?

:err:

sm0kinfins: Greg Cote wrong in blasting Dolfans, media for blasting Tannenbaum hire.

Initially hated this hire but after thinking about it I see one very strong positive. Philbin and Hickey will be desperate in 2015 trying to make the playoffs at all costs. Desperation brings a very short sighted vision. I would rather Tannenbaum keep them in check than Ross or even Marino try to do it. I don't like the reporting structure but at least Tannenbaum, who is infinitely more competent than Ross, will be on site every day making sure short sighted moves aren't being made....

Initially hated this hire but after thinking about it I see one very strong positive. Philbin and Hickey will be desperate in 2015 trying to make the playoffs at all costs. Desperation brings a very short sighted vision. I would rather Tannenbaum keep them in check than Ross or even Marino try to do it. I don't like the reporting structure but at least Tannenbaum, who is infinitely more competent than Ross, will be on site every day making sure short sighted moves aren't being made....
Fear and desperation are not good leadership qualities. The idea that Hickey is going to try harder now that he's been demoted and Ross has made it clear that competence won't be tolerated is not realistic. If Hickey stays, he's cashing checks and putting feelers out into the league for his next job.

"...I don't find the hiring of Tannenbaum to be misguided or ill-timed or any of that comically premature overreaction..."
nice dig on his co-worker, lol

I don't mind the addition the VP of Football Operations to oversee aspects of the organization. I'm not afraid of change or new ideas, holding FO people accountable, or getting an expert to help us out. The problem is the tack record of the guy we hired. He wanted Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez, he wasted entire drafts, and completely mismanaged the cap - and contract negotiation was supposed to be his specialty? Sorry Cote, we aren't afraid of change, we are afraid of Tannenbaum.

I don't mind the addition the VP of Football Operations to oversee aspects of the organization. I'm not afraid of change or new ideas, holding FO people accountable, or getting an expert to help us out. The problem is the tack record of the guy we hired. He wanted Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez, he wasted entire drafts, and completely mismanaged the cap - and contract negotiation was supposed to be his specialty? Sorry Cote, we aren't afraid of change, we are afraid of Tannenbaum.

You are correct about the different philosophies getting mashed together. That is why eventually this will work...just not in the short-term.

Andy Cohen. I read his piece about the situation this morning. I knew it would be a positive fluff piece, and it was. I threw up a little in my mouth...

Why the **** did you waste your time? That guy gets paid to write what the Dolphins tell him. He's never had an original thought in his life.

Back
Top Bottom