Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cote: Dolfans, media wrong in blasting Tannenbaum hire

People hate the move for two reasons:
1. He was a Jet at the height of our rival. He's a bit of a weirdo. Its debatable as to whether he was a good or terrible GM (I happen to think he was good).
2. People are looking at this as another in a long list of excuses to fire Philbin and start fresh now!!

People hate the move for two reasons:
1. He was a Jet at the height of our rival. He's a bit of a weirdo. Its debatable as to whether he was a good or terrible GM (I happen to think he was good).
2. People are looking at this as another in a long list of excuses to fire Philbin and start fresh now!!

3. He has power over Hickey, who did a pretty good job in his first draft.
4. His Last team got progressively worse.

Cote is a burned-out flake. He's been coasting on fumes for years. Many columnists have a shelf-life. His expired long ago.

Greg Cote is an idiot, he's the worst sports columnist in South Florida by a wide margin and that's saying a lot.

3. He has power over Hickey, who did a pretty good job in his first draft.
4. His Last team got progressively worse.

I have not seen what he is supposed to do other than not hire a HC. Does he have final say on all player decisions or, is he an advisor? A little help?

I have not seen what he is supposed to do other than not hire a HC. Does he have final say on all player decisions or, is he an advisor? A little help?

From the interview yesterday he said he would collaborate on a number of things from player acquisition (draft and free agency) to the day-to-day operations of the team. Hickey still has final say on personnel and he will offer whatever help he can to Philbin and the coaching staff. He's also spent the last two years studying sports science in Europe mainly with soccer teams and how they use nutrition (probably why we hired the nutritionist not to long ago) and other mean to help promote faster healing and prevent injuries so I think he will be implementing some type of dietary regiment tailored to each player.

From the interview yesterday he said he would collaborate on a number of things from player acquisition (draft and free agency) to the day-to-day operations of the team. Hickey still has final say on personnel and he will offer whatever help he can to Philbin and the coaching staff. He's also spent the last two years studying sports science in Europe mainly with soccer teams and how they use nutrition (probably why we hired the nutritionist not to long ago) and other mean to help promote faster healing and prevent injuries so I think he will be implementing some type of dietary regiment tailored to each player.

Sports Science is huge in Europe.
Lot of the high rising coaches want many aspects of a players life controlled especially diet.
Using GPS to perform advanced analyticis on a players performance in practice and games is too.

I had always assumed that these types of things are commonplace in the NFL. I guess not.
If only a few successful regimes(i have heard Gb and Seattle) are doing this then it would be stupid for us to not get into that as early as possible.

Initially hated this hire but after thinking about it I see one very strong positive. Philbin and Hickey will be desperate in 2015 trying to make the playoffs at all costs. Desperation brings a very short sighted vision. I would rather Tannenbaum keep them in check than Ross or even Marino try to do it. I don't like the reporting structure but at least Tannenbaum, who is infinitely more competent than Ross, will be on site every day making sure short sighted moves aren't being made....

I am with you. Initially my gut reaction was negative, but the more I think about it the more I don't hate it. I have no idea if Tbaum is a good or bad talent evaluator, he seems to be hot or cold. Bringing him in now gives hiim a year to evaluate Philbin and Hickey. I think the reason the organizational structure is wack is because Hickey and Philbin's current contract language giving them certain autonomy. I think this all changes after 2015. If Philbin for some reason is given a new contract it will have him report to Tbaum. Hickey did a decently adequate job with the draft for a change, but none of us know how he performs the other duties required of a GM. Maybe Hickey is underwhelming everywhere else. None of us really knows. I like the move bringing in a football guy to oversee things like this. This all hinges on how competent Mike is. Being a Jet castoff is red flag and he better not bring in Rex or I will be done with the Phins forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has T Bomb interviewed for any other positions recently? Has any other team inquired about his services? I know he was an agent but obviously he is willing to forgo that opportunity for this position. I'm just curious why we always seem to target guys where there is little to no market for them.

Cote's got it wrong from a couple of perspectives.

First, the fans are not negative without reason. This organization has been blundering for the last two decades, and, when it hasn't blundered, it hasn't usually had the best of luck. Do something to instill confidence, and I'll be confident. Give me a reason for optimism and I'll be optimistic.

Second, Dolphins fans want change, but the changes they want are specific. They no longer believe in Philbin and Coyle, first and foremost. Those are the changes they want addressed. Most of them either like Hickey or believe he's worth giving a chance. They didn't address the first two issues and muddied up the third, regardless of them saying Tannenbaum won't interfere with Hickey's personnel decisions ... I'll believe that when I see it.

Armando and Cote need to stop telling fans how to be fans and start concentrating on the the people making this an organization Dolphin fans can feel proud of once again. Tell you what: You guys write stories about the team. I'll be the fan. OK?

I'd love to eat crow and have Tannenbaum work out. However, the track record of this ownership and Tannenbaum's own history -- two Jets AFC championship game appearances aside -- don't make me especially confident. It's the Dolphins job to show us something we can get behind. My liking or disliking the move isn't going to determine its success.

In all honesty, there's no reason to dislike the move until you know more about it. The main thing Tannenbaum is doing is creating a front office that combines advanced analytics and sports science in with traditional football operations. That is a good thing. Everything else is wait and see what the **** is going on before setting your hair on fire.

Don't like the hire, nothing he did excites me at all. This is a Ross move more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom