Grier And Ross On Tannehill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier And Ross On Tannehill

Ross said it best:

“I love Ryan Tannehill . . . It was time to move on”.

Nothing else needs to be said, and nobody needs to root against him going forward. It would of been cancerous to everything we are trying to do if he was still on this roster come training camp.

This, one thousand percent.

There was no mistake unless they saw something in film study that over time should have raised a red flag. Like how he sees the game from an instincts/improvisation aspect.

Like someone should have been grilling him for why he did certain things at times. Things that don’t show up on tape when it comes to pre to post snap progression work etc.

Like for example “Ryan why didn’t you bypass progressions and run on that vs that clear out coverage?” Stuff you’d have to be in the film study room with him to get answers on.

In terms of the restructure appears that was done more out of need to get out of jail on other bad contracts is the conclusion we have come to.

Seems like the most logical one now

Ross said it best:

“I love Ryan Tannehill . . . It was time to move on”.

Nothing else needs to be said, and nobody needs to root against him going forward. It would of been cancerous to everything we are trying to do if he was still on this roster come training camp.

Yup. Well put. You basically wrote a would've-been-headline .

Personally I don’t believe either one was a mistake.

The biggest mistake was the restructure in 2018. But that reeks of the doing of a desperate VP and coach looking to plug holes with mediocrity. Can’t blame Ryan for saying yes to a upfront check in a league with non guaranteed contracts.

When we signed Ryan to that extension, it was coming off a pretty darn good 2014 season and he was eligible for a deal and we actually were proactive with our franchise QB in extending him.

Just because it didn’t work out doesn’t make the approach an inaccurate one.

The injury was an unfortunate one as it came on the heels of his most consistent play at QB.

It was not all bad and I take no issues with Grier in regards to statements on Ryan. Its closure and we can move on.

I'm no draft guru but it's easy to poke holes in the drafting of him top 10. Lack of production, lack of overall success. I'm not saying that should disqualify a QB from being draft but top 10 is aggressive.

The extension was a solid move if you saw a good QB with a ceiling of great...which is what most of us thought at the time, from what I can remember...I can see the pro-Tannehill posts with endless "Likes" as I write this. Worse QBs have gotten more money.

Huge agreement that you can't knock the approach just because the outcome wasn't what we expected.

Does any other quarterback have as many wins (3) against Tom Brady since Tannehill came into the league?

What gets me is how foolish the front office is to think the 2016 was a sign the team was a playoff caliber team and not understand that record was built on beating bottom 10 teams.

The Steelers showed Miami wasn't a playoff caliber team in WC game just like the Ravens did in 2008.

And Tannehill sucked that year against good teams. Drafting him was a mistake. That it took 7 years to figure that out is idiotic!

What gets me is how foolish the front office is to think the 2016 was a sign the team was a playoff caliber team and not understand that record was built on beating bottom 10 teams.

The Steelers showed Miami wasn't a playoff caliber team in WC game just like the Ravens did in 2008.

And Tannehill sucked that year against good teams. Drafting him was a mistake. That it took 7 years to figure that out is idiotic!

Not entirely true. The Phins beat the Steelers handily during the regular season. In that playoff game, the Steelers had gotten healthier and were near full strength. The Phins were missing their starting QB and 5 starters on defense.
If the situation were reversed and it was a home playoff game, the Phins beat them easily.

Why is Tannehill still a topic/target on the main forum?

So somebody can say he wasn't A-B-C, to be countered by, "But he was A-B-C-D...and ELEMENOPEE!"

Followed by "mature" posters telling people that it's Miami Dolphins news so it can be there...well so is the 27,000 lbs coke seizure in Miami Beach that our former o-line coach was quite possibly the beneficiary of.

Personally I don’t believe either one was a mistake.

The biggest mistake was the restructure in 2018. But that reeks of the doing of a desperate VP and coach looking to plug holes with mediocrity. Can’t blame Ryan for saying yes to a upfront check in a league with non guaranteed contracts.

When we signed Ryan to that extension, it was coming off a pretty darn good 2014 season and he was eligible for a deal and we actually were proactive with our franchise QB in extending him.

Just because it didn’t work out doesn’t make the approach an inaccurate one.

The injury was an unfortunate one as it came on the heels of his most consistent play at QB.

It was not all bad and I take no issues with Grier in regards to statements on Ryan. Its closure and we can move on.
I can’t agree with you because that’s not how I would of played it, there were fatal flaws in his game imo, but who cares ya know.. moving on like you said..

I can’t agree with you because that’s not how I would of played it, there were fatal flaws in his game imo, but who cares ya know.. moving on like you said..

I mean I never was fully on board with him, but that isn’t the issue here.

1. The team had conviction, hell they hired his college HC to be the OC

2. Even at 8th overall, he absolutely was talented enough to go that high and we have seen less qualified and less talented guys go higher than that.

3. Like it or not, he just wasn’t that bad. 2012 they gave him the worst set of weapons in NFL history. Going 8-8 the next 2 seasons for a guy who didn’t have a full college tenure and was showing signs of improvement in different areas is perfectly capable of earning the extension he did.

4. Before his injury, he was absolutely trending up.

The only thing Miami needs to apologize for is not having anything else in the cupboard pre Tannehill injury and definitely post Tannehill injury. And again the restructure was asinine . . . but predictable.

But the drafting of the QB and the extension made sense. Disagreeing on the prospect is natural but the idea and the execution was proper.

Classy tough dude we we're lucky to have him during this coaching circus. Sure he no Luck but he handled the pressure well here.

I mean I never was fully on board with him, but that isn’t the issue here.

1. The team had conviction, hell they hired his college HC to be the OC

2. Even at 8th overall, he absolutely was talented enough to go that high and we have seen less qualified and less talented guys go higher than that.

3. Like it or not, he just wasn’t that bad. 2012 they gave him the worst set of weapons in NFL history. Going 8-8 the next 2 seasons for a guy who didn’t have a full college tenure and was showing signs of improvement in different areas is perfectly capable of earning the extension he did.

4. Before his injury, he was absolutely trending up.

The only thing Miami needs to apologize for is not having anything else in the cupboard pre Tannehill injury and definitely post Tannehill injury. And again the restructure was asinine . . . but predictable.

But the drafting of the QB and the extension made sense. Disagreeing on the prospect is natural but the idea and the execution was proper.

As far as a front office goes KD, with Grier making decisions, or him being just part of them, I absolutely feel there were multiple critical miss evaluations at the QB position all through the 7 years..jmo.

Yup. Well put. You basically wrote a would've-been-headline .

I'm no draft guru but it's easy to poke holes in the drafting of him top 10. Lack of production, lack of overall success. I'm not saying that should disqualify a QB from being draft but top 10 is aggressive.

The extension was a solid move if you saw a good QB with a ceiling of great...which is what most of us thought at the time, from what I can remember...I can see the pro-Tannehill posts with endless "Likes" as I write this. Worse QBs have gotten more money.

Huge agreement that you can't knock the approach just because the outcome wasn't what we expected.
yes as GM they were too much red flag w thill17. they only thing i didn't like was not bring in competition. I said they need qb 4 yr ago. I am not expert. everybody I talk to said we need qb. outside of dolphins.

Why is Tannehill still a topic/target on the main forum?

So somebody can say he wasn't A-B-C, to be countered by, "But he was A-B-C-D...and ELEMENOPEE!"

Followed by "mature" posters telling people that it's Miami Dolphins news so it can be there...well so is the 27,000 lbs coke seizure in Miami Beach that our former o-line coach was quite possibly the beneficiary of.
Because it is an article about our owner and GM and their thoughts on the past with Ryan. If this goes bananas again it will be moved to the locker.

Tannehill threads which are unrelated to the Dolphins will be immediately moved to the NFL Forum.

Not entirely true. The Phins beat the Steelers handily during the regular season. In that playoff game, the Steelers had gotten healthier and were near full strength. The Phins were missing their starting QB and 5 starters on defense.
If the situation were reversed and it was a home playoff game, the Phins beat them easily.

We did not beat the steelers handily, Tannehill struggled that game. He had another 125 yard performance until the last drive when he threw it up basically for grabs and Stills made a great play and scores. Some called it a backshoulder pass but the pass was to the inside.

Back
Top Bottom