Grier And Ross On Tannehill | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier And Ross On Tannehill

We did not beat the steelers handily, Tannehill struggled that game. He had another 125 yard performance until the last drive when he threw it up basically for grabs and Stills made a great play and scores. Some called it a backshoulder pass but the pass was to the inside.

He struggled LOL

Let it go man he is no longer on the team.

And There is no need to distort to truth to enhance your dislike for him. There was no last drive pass to Stills. He had an improvised deep ball to Gray in the first half after Pouncey borrowed Dallas Thomas’ skates and was driven into Ryan. Ryan rolled out to his left and threw a 53 yard strike to Gray.

He also had a no pressured 39 yard dart to Landry, which is the play you might be talking about, also in the first half.

Tannehill played well that game. 75 percent completion, active pocket movement, improvised, 8 YPA, 30 points by the offense . . . . .I’ll take that struggle every week. The only reason he didn’t have TDs because they were vultured after he got us down there.

We had a lead and then relied on Ajayi to close it out. But make no mistake about it, Ryan’s play was catalyst in that victory.

In fact I think you are thinking about Ajayi . . . He was around 125-130 yards and then had like a 70 yard run to close it out on our final drive.

God forbid we give Ryan a little bit of a running game and protection to help us win a damn game.

There are plenty of examples of him playing poorly, no need to take away some of his better moments.

We did not beat the steelers handily, Tannehill struggled that game. He had another 125 yard performance until the last drive when he threw it up basically for grabs and Stills made a great play and scores. Some called it a backshoulder pass but the pass was to the inside.
I think the play you’re referring to happened in the Bills game that season.

Stephen Ross who has never said a negative thing publicly about anyone, doesn’t say a negative thing about the terrible former qb. The gm who chose the terrible qb doesn’t say that was a mistake.

Nothing to see here.

Does any other quarterback have as many wins (3) against Tom Brady since Tannehill came into the league?
Does any other six year starting qb have 0 playoff appearances since Tannehill came into the league? Maybe so, but let's not forget it's a team game. Tannehill didn't outright win those 3 games by himself.

Does any other six year starting qb have 0 playoff appearances since Tannehill came into the league? Maybe so, but let's not forget it's a team game. Tannehill didn't outright win those 3 games by himself.
It works both ways. You can’t say “he didn’t win those games” and at the same time say “he didn’t win enough games to make the playoffs”. Not saying you’re implying this with that post but just as a general statement.

It works both ways. You can’t say “he didn’t win those games” and at the same time say “he didn’t win enough games to make the playoffs”. Not saying you’re implying this with that post but just as a general statement.
My second sentence clearly says it's a team game.

I think djphin pretty much nailed it here. The mistakes and decisions surrounding the entire Tannehill situation are based in how they viewed him from the beginning in the first place. Meanwhile, if you viewed him how I did from the beginning you don't make those same mistakes.

When Miami gave him that extension and paid him all that money, he had done absolutely nothing. The only reason they did that was to give him a chance to prove they were right and that he could become a franchise quarterback. Because they were all too lazy to put in the time to evaluate and make a decision on another quarterback prospect.

But they were wrong.

If you viewed him as more of a 2nd round pick and would never make a franchise quarterback, you'd never have given him that extension, or wasted 7 years, or failed to ever provide any competition.

It'll be the same thing next time.

Wish the guy well with his new team, but don't stand by mistakes that were clearly wrong in the meantime.

I think djphin pretty much nailed it here. The mistakes and decisions surrounding the entire Tannehill situation are based in how they viewed him from the beginning in the first place. Meanwhile, if you viewed him how I did from the beginning you don't make those same mistakes.

When Miami gave him that extension and paid him all that money, he had done absolutely nothing. The only reason they did that was to give him a chance to prove they were right and that he could become a franchise quarterback. Because they were all too lazy to put in the time to evaluate and make a decision on another quarterback prospect.

But they were wrong.

If you viewed him as more of a 2nd round pick and would never make a franchise quarterback, you'd never have given him that extension, or wasted 7 years, or failed to ever provide any competition.

It'll be the same thing next time.

Wish the guy well with his new team, but don't stand by mistakes that were clearly wrong in the meantime.

They were absolutely wrong. But if they believed they were right, which seems to be the case with Ireland, Philbin, Tannenbaum and Gase . . . .the way they handled his extension was proper.

The extension was just window dressing to give themselves more time . . .knowing they had a 5th year option they were committing to anyway.

Yea it cost them more, but really the numbers weren’t that much of a noticeable change and worth the risk from their analysis on him. It was a very team friendly extension, which is why “I get it”.

Where it all fell apart was never attempting to push Ryan at any point, and then restructuring the guy after missing an entire season and change.

Once he went down against Arizona, the solid management of Ryan and his contract went from proper to disgraceful . . . How he handled his injury, bringing in Cutler, not bringing in another QB TWICE and then finally restructuring.

It all reeked of desperation and incompetence and really unacceptable in all phases.

For the love of freaking Pete.

I think the point of the article is that Ryan Tannehill is a pretty likable guy. Ross pretty much said that directly, and it was definitely time to move on.

The Dolphins knowingly drafted a QB who needed development. He did not develop into the QB many of us thought he was becoming.

Part of the reason for that is on the Dolphins. Part of it is on Tannehill. Beyond that, you're simply talking percentages of responsibility. And anyone who thinks it's tremendously skewed on one side or the other just hasn't been paying attention, or is intentionally blinded by their own bias.

He seems a very nice guy, tough as nails, and doesn't make excuses. I wish him the best of luck and success, except if he ever plays the Dolphins, and look forward to the future of the team.

Stephen Ross who has never said a negative thing publicly about anyone, doesn’t say a negative thing about the terrible former qb. The gm who chose the terrible qb doesn’t say that was a mistake.

Nothing to see here.
9hcl.gif

The sentence that I think is the most interesting is this:

“I think the one thing maybe we could have all done, and me pushing too, is drafting maybe someone behind him to come through, that could back him up, maybe,” Grier continued.

Leads to to think he didn't have final say in that previously as GM.

Interesting.

You know that part of what you're saying is unfair given he pretty much led the team to the playoffs in 2016 but didn't get to play because of his injury. You take that into account, and he has the same amount of playoff starts as Kirk Cousins who for some reason was a real hot commodity in free agency.

I agree it was time to move on. Even in hindsight though, drafting him and sticking with him wasn't the disaster some are making it out to be.

You know that part of what you're saying is unfair given he pretty much led the team to the playoffs in 2016 but didn't get to play because of his injury. You take that into account, and he has the same amount of playoff starts as Kirk Cousins who for some reason was a real hot commodity in free agency.

I agree it was time to move on. Even in hindsight though, drafting him and sticking with him wasn't the disaster some are making it out to be.

He didn’t lead them to the playoffs in 2016. He was in that exact same position 3 other seasons and failed each time. He is 0-5 in buffalo.

I'm not going down that rabbit hole but just for shits and giggles, if he did got to the playoffs in 2016 , one playoff appearance is not really anything to hang your hat on. Also Cousins does have a playoff start.

That's exactly what it was and what I've always said; say what you will about Tanne, the guy showed flashes of brilliance. It was there, folks. He just could. not. take. that. next. step. It was that up and down.

Time comes for us all. We had to move on. I wish him the best.

I defended RT against those saying he didn't have 'the tools.' I'm STILL defending him. To me most QBs fail because they don't have the mental aptitude/quickness to be successful in the NFL. THAT was RT's weakness. That's why he needed to go

Back
Top Bottom