Grier And Ross On Tannehill | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier And Ross On Tannehill

They went from 65% pass to 51% pass and that isn’t taking the ball out of his hands?

He was great in the rams game. 142 net passing yards on 38 dropbacks.

No that isn't taking the ball out of his hands. Thats an offense that is finally able to have some balance. An offense that is getting out to some leads and allowing the clock to run down via the run game.

Many of the worst teams in the NFL have 2:1 Pass:Run ratios because they are always behind on the scoreboard and can't run the football. Has nothing to do with not trusting the QB or taking the ball out of his hands in a negative way. . . come on.

I mean I said he was trash in the Rams game, but they didn't take the ball out of his hands then . . . which goes against them not being able to trust/rely on him. Still the end result deserves high marks, even if the first 54 minutes didn't.

Jonathan Martin (rd 2)

Dallas Thomas (rd 3)

Ju Juan James (rd 1)

Billy Turner (rd 3)

Jamil Douglas (rd 4)

Laremy Tunsil (rd 1)

Not to mention that Pouncey was already here when Tannehill arrived. Tannehill has had an o-line. Whether the o-line was evaluated correctly, or the coaching wasn't up to par...he had a line AND a running back in Lamar Miller

W...wait a minute. You're using this as evidence that Ryan Tannehill HAD A LINE?

Jonathan Martin played one full season for Miami. He ranked 76th out of 80 players at his position by PFF. Regardless of how much credence you give PFF, I believe we can all agree he wasn't even remotely good at his job. Then, well, he lost his mind. Last I heard, he was dangerously close to being able to play a role in the next "The Longest Yard" remake.

Dallas Thomas played one full season, and in his three seasons with Miami was consistently ranked as one of the worst linemen in football. After he was cut, he never played another snap in the NFL. He is currently employed by Tennessee. Memphis, Tennessee, that is...in the AAF.

Billy Turner was so bad at times that Dallas Thomas replaced him. He certainly seemed to get his act together after being released. Good for him. But let's not pretend he was good while he was here. He wasn't.

Jamil Douglas started 6 games for Miami as a rookie in 2015. He was cut in the 2016 O-Line purge. He has bounced around to four other practice squads since, but has not played another snap in the NFL.

Ju'Wuan James and Mike Pouncey I actually have no issue with, protection-wise. And obviously Laremy Tunsil has been great.

But.

If we're going to go here, we're gonna go here.

Let's look at OTHER people who played on O-Line for the Fins, too. Because there was a lot more going on than that fairly shaky example you used. Let's not forget about Ted Larsen.

Let's not forget about:

- Jermon Bushrod: Who was a pretty danged good left tackle before he came to Miami...and they decided in their infinite wisdom to put him at RIGHT GUARD, where he (surprise!) sucked. He's currently unemployed in the NFL, but he wasn't young when he got to Miami, so I'm not counting that against him.

- Anthony Steen: Bounced around on Arizona's practice squad for two years. Then the Dolphins signed him. He then played in 15 of Miami's games in 2016, including 7 as a STARTER. He then started 6 games the next year before he season ended with a foot injury. He is currently unemployed in the NFL.

- Let's not forget Sam Brenner. Somehow he managed to start 4 games for Miami in 2013, and was somehow playing in games up until 2015. He only ever played for Miami, and is currently unemployed in the NFL.

- Jason Fox: Funny how this keeps happening - Jason Fox played for three years in Detroit, but only started 3 games because...well, he wasn't all that good. Miami signed him in 2014, and he started 2 games. Then in 2015, he started ELEVEN games. Interestingly, he didn't suddenly become an All-Pro. He wasn't very good, he was a free agent at the end of the year, and...ready? He is currently unemployed in the NFL.

- Let's not forget Shelley Smith, who may or may not have been a better blocker than the sports reporter who shared his name. He started three games at Guard for Miami in 2014 when he was 27...and then never played another snap in the NFL.

I'm not even including the Sam Youngs, the Craig Urbiks, the Nate Garners, the Daryn Colledges, the Samson Sateles, because they were at least serviceable. But they were just that. Serviceable as opposed to complete tragedies.

That's the thing, really, we shouldn't ever be looking at film where there's a guy with his hands up literally blocking NOBODY, and saying things like, "Man, I miss the good old days where the right side of our line was anchored by John Jerry and Tyson Clabo." NOBODY SHOULD EVER HAVE TO SAY THAT SENTENCE.

Ryan Tanehill had flaws, but trying to talk up the line he had in front of him for any lengthy period of time as a strength is nonsense. It was a complete freaking disaster for about 90% of the time Tannehill was here.

For what it's worth - here are the teams with the ten highest running percentages in the NFL last year:

Seahawks
Titans
Ravens
Saints
Bills
Bears
Texans
Patriots
Saints
Cowboys

Eight of those ten made the playoffs.

Define "a lot" as it pertains to the games Tannehill won....
This pretty much spells it out for you
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...roof-ryan-tannehill-perfo-20160405-story.html

"I'm referring to the seven games the cornerstones of the Dolphins' offensive line - left tackle Branden Albert, center Mike Pouncey, and right tackle Ja'Wuan James - actually started and finished a game together.

We're talking about the games where Albert's right knee was healthy, Pouncey's hip and foot wasn't an issue, and the period early in his career where James didn't miss more than half the season with a foot injury.

During those seven games the Dolphins managed a 6-1 record.

In 2014 the Dolphins beat Chicago (27-14) and Jacksonville (27-13) on the road, pummeled San Diego (37-0) and the one loss was to Green Bay (27-24) on a last-second play where the defense (cough, cough Philip Wheeler) let a victory escape the team's grasp.

So in games where Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished in 2014 the Dolphins were 3-1.

Flip the page to 2015 and the Dolphins produced a 3-0 record in games Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished the contests."

In 2016, after the game against the Titans when Tunsil slipped in the shower and Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas played and were released that week and the OL got healthy for the first time all year, He went 6-1 before getting injured. This past year, he went 3-1 last year losing Sitton after the first week and Kilgore after the Pats game and the OL was once again a joke!

Tannehaters can bash all they want but the fact is he won the VAST MAJORITY of his games when his average at best OL was somewhat healthy and he did not have scrubs playing on the OL! FACT!

With that being said, it was time for him to go because sometimes you just have to move on regardless of who is to blame. He had some injury concerns as well, and no surprise there considering the trash heap he had to play behind most of his career.

Tannehill's line was bad for most of his tenure here. He didn't do them any favors. Those statements can both be true.
Not really because as mentioned above, he won when a line that still ranked no better than 25th was healthy. The issue on this team over the last 7 years has never been the QB, it has been the OL and the lack of quality depth and coaching.

Not really because as mentioned above, he won when a line that still ranked no better than 25th was healthy. The issue on this team over the last 7 years has never been the QB, it has been the OL and the lack of quality depth and coaching.

And definitive statements like that are why neither side can get along.

Blaming him for everything vs. Absolving him from everything. There rarely is a middle ground.

Fact is we have shuffled pieces all over the offense, except him, and never got more than 8 wins. It's time to shuffle him . . . And both Ross and Grier see that.

I'll lay odds that the Jags could show the same data for when Bortles had a clean pocket. Unfortunately for the Borthles and Tannehills of the world...the defense gets paid to play as well. There is no constantly clean pocket.

Tannehill went 6-1...yet didn't get the team MVP (Ajayi).

W...wait a minute. You're using this as evidence that Ryan Tannehill HAD A LINE?

Either you can't read very well, or you don't comprehend very well...

Those names are proof that the team made an effort to put a line in front of Tannehill, as opposed to MANY posters on here who swore up and down that you don't have to get a lineman in the 1st, 2nd round. Tannehill had a stretch of good play (thanks to Ajayi). Hey, even a trashcan gets a steak every now and then. When it was time for him to make a play he was exposed...well, not realy exposed. More like reminded of who he is.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...roof-ryan-tannehill-perfo-20160405-story.html

"I'm referring to the seven games the cornerstones of the Dolphins' offensive line - left tackle Branden Albert, center Mike Pouncey, and right tackle Ja'Wuan James - actually started and finished a game together.

We're talking about the games where Albert's right knee was healthy, Pouncey's hip and foot wasn't an issue, and the period early in his career where James didn't miss more than half the season with a foot injury.

During those seven games the Dolphins managed a 6-1 record.

In 2014 the Dolphins beat Chicago (27-14) and Jacksonville (27-13) on the road, pummeled San Diego (37-0) and the one loss was to Green Bay (27-24) on a last-second play where the defense (cough, cough Philip Wheeler) let a victory escape the team's grasp.

So in games where Albert, Pouncey and James started and finished in 2014 the Dolphins were 3-1.

Just focusing on the bolded, in those 3 games the Dolphin defense gave up an average of 9 ppg even disregarding the Chargers game the defense gave up 13.5 ppg in the Bears/Jacksonville game. Most teams win when the defense gives up 13.5 ppg or 9 ppg as matter of fact no team from 2012-2018 has a losing record when the defense gives up 13.5 points or less. All 32 teams have a winning record with that defense, the New York Jets have the lowest win% (from 2012-2018) when giving up 13.5 points or less and they have a .813 win % which again is 32nd in the NFL.

You do remember Tannehill being like 8-3 or some s*** when Pouncey, James, and Albert played together right?

I'll go with "or some s***," for argument's sake. Tannehill didn't go sh*t during that span. Jay Ajayi went 8-3...Tannehill just didn't mess it up by imitating a QB that could put a team on his back and lead them to more than 8 wins.

don't remember the exact numbers but the difference was night and day with those 3 being in vs. out (as if it was some great trio, and it was compared to the backups and other starting 2), but hey don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

The facts as I see them...Tannehill wasn't team MVP (Ajayi was). Tannehill didn't make the Pro Bowl (Ajayi did). Take the training wheels off and Tannehill is crashing his bicycle into a fence somewhere.

the lord have mercy of Ryan Fitzmagic's back.

Ironically, we very well may go 7-9...which places Fitzpatrick right next to Tannehill, who is getting paid to be the QB he has matured into.

I'll go with "or some s***," for argument's sake. Tannehill didn't go sh*t during that span. Jay Ajayi went 8-3...Tannehill just didn't mess it up by imitating a QB that could put a team on his back and lead them to more than 8 wins.

The facts as I see them...Tannehill wasn't team MVP (Ajayi was). Tannehill didn't make the Pro Bowl (Ajayi did). Take the training wheels off and Tannehill is crashing his bicycle into a fence somewhere.

Ironically, we very well may go 7-9...which places Fitzpatrick right next to Tannehill, who is getting paid to be the QB he has matured into.

upload_2019-3-29_15-26-36.gif

Never the QB?

And here I was told you people don't speak in such definitive terms. But you Tannehill guys keep going there.

And definitive statements like that are why neither side can get along.

Blaming him for everything vs. Absolving him from everything. There rarely is a middle ground.

Fact is we have shuffled pieces all over the offense, except him, and never got more than 8 wins. It's time to shuffle him . . . And both Ross and Grier see that.

Actually the fact is exactly what I backed up in my statement above, he won the vast majority of his games when the OL was healthy and even when healthy ranked towards the bottom quarter of the league. That is an indisputable FACT, not opinion FACT! I am not saying he was an All Pro or even close to being perfect....but he was a lot better than some on here give him credit for. He was a very tough dude behind mostly sad jokes of OL's, bad coaching, including 1 doing blow and hookers, and multiple offenses to learn over his 7 years here. Tannehill was not the issue here and the sheer number of OL that are no longer here attests to that. Most went elsewhere and sucked too.

Back
Top Bottom