Grier And Ross On Tannehill | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grier And Ross On Tannehill

Never the QB?

And here I was told you people don't speak in such definitive terms. But you Tannehill guys keep going there.

Sure he deserves some blame, but he also had queasy for most of his career (great coach).

Then as soon as queasy was gone he had a very good season, on a team that was historically bad in terms of defensive statistics.

Then the defense got even worse when Joseph left, as did the oline which was always bad, we sure set him up well for success lol.

Compare that to the run heavy, as in league leading run to pass ratio situation Russell Wilson was drafted into with THAT defense, talk about night and day...

But who really cares about the other 52 and the entire coaching staff, all that matters is the starting QB in this league to most people LOL.

Last edited:
Tannehill was not the issue here and the sheer number of OL that are no longer here attests to that. Most went elsewhere and sucked too.

Like Mike Pouncey, Richie Incognito, Billy Turner (actually just got paid from the Packers)?

Either you can't read very well, or you don't comprehend very well...

Those names are proof that the team made an effort to put a line in front of Tannehill, as opposed to MANY posters on here who swore up and down that you don't have to get a lineman in the 1st, 2nd round. Tannehill had a stretch of good play (thanks to Ajayi). Hey, even a trashcan gets a steak every now and then. When it was time for him to make a play he was exposed...well, not realy exposed. More like reminded of who he is.

I'm gonna go with :

C) You made your point poorly.

Sure, they made an effort. But they didn't get the job done - the ineptitude in personnel and coaching was staggering. I don't care what rounds the players were picked in; they were crap, more often than not.

Not really because as mentioned above, he won when a line that still ranked no better than 25th was healthy. The issue on this team over the last 7 years has never been the QB, it has been the OL and the lack of quality depth and coaching.

Actually the fact is exactly what I backed up in my statement above, he won the vast majority of his games when the OL was healthy and even when healthy ranked towards the bottom quarter of the league. That is an indisputable FACT, not opinion FACT! I am not saying he was an All Pro or even close to being perfect....but he was a lot better than some on here give him credit for. He was a very tough dude behind mostly sad jokes of OL's, bad coaching, including 1 doing blow and hookers, and multiple offenses to learn over his 7 years here. Tannehill was not the issue here and the sheer number of OL that are no longer here attests to that. Most went elsewhere and sucked too.

Every team has injuries on their o-line. Saying that your QB is good enough as long as his lineman don't get injured is like saying the plane is safe enough as long as it doesn't rain. I The issue has always been the QB. He wasn't good enough. It's not to say he wasn't good (at times), but he wasn't good enough. That isn't saying there weren't OTHER issues as well (like O-line, like WR, like scheme, like our defense), but QB was absolutely one of the issues.

If that isn't clear after 7 years of watching him because he was 6-1 in literally a caveat-filled section of his career spread over a few years....well, I don't think there is anything else to discuss.

Every team has injuries on their o-line. Saying that your QB is good enough as long as his lineman don't get injured is like saying the plane is safe enough as long as it doesn't rain. I The issue has always been the QB. He wasn't good enough. It's not to say he wasn't good (at times), but he wasn't good enough. That isn't saying there weren't OTHER issues as well (like O-line, like WR, like scheme, like our defense), but QB was absolutely one of the issues.

If that isn't clear after 7 years of watching him because he was 6-1 in literally a caveat-filled section of his career spread over a few years....well, I don't think there is anything else to discuss.

But somehow Brock Osweiler and a broken down Peyton Manning who could barely throw it farther than my mother were good enough to win a SB just recently.

Gee wiz, I wonder if it helps to have an elite defense in order for the QB to be "good enough", not to mention the supporting cast on offense.

Football is the ultimate team game and always will be, sure Ryan had his shortcomings as a QB, but this entire organization has sucked for so long I highly doubt any QB's since 2012 not named Patrick Mahomes would have thrived with queasy and Gase's olphins.

I STILL remember that T.O queasy called with the time running out against GB (and being pissed in real time), could have changed the whole season but nope, someone got queasy and decided to give ARod plenty of time LOL.

Last edited:
Sure he deserves some blame, but he also had queasy for most of his career (great coach).

Then as soon as queasy was gone he had a very good season, on a team that was historically bad in terms of defensive statistics.

Then the defense got even worse when Joseph left, as did the oline which was always bad, we sure set him up well for success lol.

Compare that to the run heavy, as in league leading run to pass ratio situation Russell Wilson was drafted into with THAT defense, talk about night and day...

But who really cares about the other 52 and the entire coaching staff, all that matters is the starting QB in this league to most people LOL.

giphy (13).gif

Why is Tannehill still a topic/target on the main forum?

So somebody can say he wasn't A-B-C, to be countered by, "But he was A-B-C-D...and ELEMENOPEE!"

Followed by "mature" posters telling people that it's Miami Dolphins news so it can be there...well so is the 27,000 lbs coke seizure in Miami Beach that our former o-line coach was quite possibly the beneficiary of.

You have a point, but the post title includes Grier and Ross. What triggered me to post this actually was the recent discussion about how our FO is low class since some guy wrote an unsourced article stating someone in the dolphins org said they were laughing about the James signing. I wanted to illustrate how the front office is actually handling such things publicly.

Adam is hot head coach who thought he could make thill17 better qb. once he knew he couldn't help thill17. he try to get Detroit qb to save his job. let be real the game thill17 win, mat more could of win too in 2016. Grier want to let thill17 go 3 to 4 yr ago. Grier told Ross that. he just didn't have power. that why he is still GM. other than that there is no reason to keep Grier. in the end Adam and Tbum hurt dolphins by not drafting a qb two yr ago. Jets, Bills and Dolphins problems are front office and Gm.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with :

C) You made your point poorly.

Sure, they made an effort. But they didn't get the job done - the ineptitude in personnel and coaching was staggering. I don't care what rounds the players were picked in; they were crap, more often than not.

My point was made clearly enough...
Screenshot_20190329-171257_Puffin.jpg
Then here you come...with the Tannehater BS...like some jilted female.

Richie incognito was not released because of performance. He was released because he was mostly insane.

The focus was that most went elsewhere and sucked...

No...most didn't "suck" when they went elsewhere. That's the narrative that props up Tannehill's mediocrity.

If only Tannehill had the chance to play in a big game to clinch a playoff birth or something like that, then we would really know what he is made of. Too bad he never got that chance, we may have this same argument forever.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Ryan could execute an offense on script with a good oline and run game behind him at a decent level, however the issues were always there when protection broke down, and those issues are only going to intensify on the road, in big game situations, QBs have to make some individual plays off script to help their team convert pressure situations (within the pocket, outside the pocket, running for a first down because that’s what an athletic qb should do to help their team), physically, instinctively and mentally he was never up to the task..those flaws were detectable very early and never he never showed consistency in that he deserved the trust you have to have in those specific situations.

Besides that fatal flaw, imo he struggled with the speed of the game after the first read wasn’t an option, he struggled multitasking to get through progressions while trying to navigate a congested pocket, he also struggled with touch throws, fades, screen game, back shoulder game was sub par, and lastly I don’t believe Ryan had good vision of the field, I think it was a more compartmentalized version of the field.

I did respect him, because I never saw a guy play college football at that level play qb and receiver and still have a modicum of success at the NFL level, he was and is unprecedented in that regard, also he was tough, but when staring down the barrel becomes your only exceptional trait, that’s not gonna be good enough to win championships..

Back
Top Bottom