Gruden's QB Camp | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gruden's QB Camp

The Russell Wilson edition of the QB camp is the most impressive I've seen, and I've seen all of them the last three years. Better than Luck, than Griffin, than Tebow or Mallett or McCoy or Gabbert or Ponder or Locker. It wasn't just his demeanor, which was impressive enough, it was the little things, the little comments. The details that revealed a depth of strategic knowledge and thinking.

Russell Wilson is the kind of prospect who's like a ****ing itch that won't go away. I can't help thinking that he might very well be -- when it's all said and done -- the 2nd best QB in this class after Luck. And I mean that sincerely. People make a huge deal about his size and I get that. But isn't height made an issue of because and only because it relates to performance? As in, the shorter you are, the less likely you are to achieve a certain level of performance?

But I think we all know that's not an absolute thing. It's a general rule. If a guy can achieve despite being shorter than ideal... he's still achieving, the way a short armed heavyweight like Mike Tyson or Rocky Marciano can still become champion of the world if they can, you know, knockout or otherwise beat to a pulp everyone who gets in their way.

He's my fourth QB in this draft, I know that. I'd MUCH rather have him than guys like Cousins or Foles or Osweiler. The things that stand in the way of those guys becoming top pros are, to me, much more daunting than Wilson's height.
Wilson continues and always has impressed the hell out of me. There was a funny moment in Osweiler's interview where that douche tried to make it seem like he struggled against persecution because of his height and I could just imagine Russell grinding his teeth at that bull****. You can put Wilson's performance on the field up against anyone and possibly above. Maybe he's not big enough to have long term success as a starter in this league, but no one is going to convince me that we don't become a better team by having Russell Wilson on our roster.

Unfortunately, 5'11 is WAY too short for the QB position in the NFL. He might have all the intangibles, but if he can't see over his lineman, it isn't worth a damn. Plus, when he gets folded up like an accordian by James Harrison, his career will be over ala Pat White.

As ChambersWI pointed out, the Wisconsin offensive line is huge and Wilson saw around them just fine. How do you account for that?

Like I said earlier, height is relevant because it tends to affect performance. If you achieve a high level of performance despite being too short, can that level of performance really be ignored? It isn't a thing like arm strength/accuracy where the speed and intelligence of guys from college to pro is so different you have to scale up what you need to be successful. The guys might be a little taller in the pros but not very much.

Pat White is not even a relevant person to talk about when discussing Russell Wilson.

Also gotta agree with everyone else that thought Wilson was very impressive, I think my QB Rankings go 1) Luck 2) RGIII 3a) Tannehill 3b) Weeden 4) Wilson 5) Osweiler

Having watched the Gruden camp on Wilson, I feel a lot happier on coming on here and pushing us to take him as much as I have. I'm a Tannehill fan too, but between Tannehill at #8 and Wilson in the second or even third, I'm really tempted towards Wilson.

This guy will be successful IF AND ONLY IF the team that takes him build the offense around him to a degree. If he goes in as backup to Big Ben or some other starting QB that has an entirely unsuitable offense tailored around him, it'll be no surprise to see Wilson struggle and gradually slip down. For that reason, a lot of teams won't even consider him.

But for us, where we're starting from scratch with this offense and Wilson is a great fit for the WCO, I think he can have the necessary throwing lanes, routes and protections built in from day one that minimise his height disadvantage and play to all the other strengths he has. I would be very happy if we picked him. This place would go nuts with "Pat White 2.0" threads, but the comparison couldn't be more wrong. White was an ill-conceived vanity-pick based on a gimmick. Wilson is a legit QB who would push Luck and RG3 all the way to the top of the first if he was 6'3". The only list Pat White was on the top of was the cut list.

Gruden LOVED Wilson. I dare you to disagree with that one.

Pat White was a fraction of the QB Russell Wilson is. They're both similar athletes yet Wilson doesn't have the physique of a 9 year old girl. Strangely if we set the value of a Pat White as a 2nd rounder then that would place Russell Wilson in some theoretical numbered round. Also White's mental make-up was revealed to be a lot of bull**** that fooled several key people. Wilson strikes me as much more genuine and a real worker. I really think his approach towards the size of Wisconsin's oline and wanting to conquer that challenge speaks extremely well of him. So does performing so well on both sides of a transfer. As for what kind of QB he was on the field it's not even remotely comparable to White.

Im really glad to see more people into wilson now. I really thought I was the only a few months ago when I posted.

Tannheill at such a high pick after only playing 19 starts makes NO sense to me. Wilson was a stud QB starting as a freshman.

Wilson is impressive. I would draft him and another QB. You might be able to get Wilson in the 4th due to his height.

Wow Russell Wilson is impressive to listen to. I'm not sure if he can play or not but...

Having watched the Gruden camp on Wilson, I feel a lot happier on coming on here and pushing us to take him as much as I have. I'm a Tannehill fan too, but between Tannehill at #8 and Wilson in the second or even third, I'm really tempted towards Wilson.

This guy will be successful IF AND ONLY IF the team that takes him build the offense around him to a degree. If he goes in as backup to Big Ben or some other starting QB that has an entirely unsuitable offense tailored around him, it'll be no surprise to see Wilson struggle and gradually slip down. For that reason, a lot of teams won't even consider him.

But for us, where we're starting from scratch with this offense and Wilson is a great fit for the WCO, I think he can have the necessary throwing lanes, routes and protections built in from day one that minimise his height disadvantage and play to all the other strengths he has. I would be very happy if we picked him. This place would go nuts with "Pat White 2.0" threads, but the comparison couldn't be more wrong. White was an ill-conceived vanity-pick based on a gimmick. Wilson is a legit QB who would push Luck and RG3 all the way to the top of the first if he was 6'3". The only list Pat White was on the top of was the cut list.

Gruden LOVED Wilson. I dare you to disagree with that one.
dude wilson will be picked in rounds 5-7. not saying i agree but thats how it is. i like him over weeden, who is overrated

helluva highlight reel for Wilson and its just from 2011, think I'll watch it again. I agree with Gruden that he'll end up a huge steal for whoever ends up with him.

[video=youtube;B8r7wLnb1xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc[/video]

The Russell Wilson edition of the QB camp is the most impressive I've seen, and I've seen all of them the last three years. Better than Luck, than Griffin, than Tebow or Mallett or McCoy or Gabbert or Ponder or Locker. It wasn't just his demeanor, which was impressive enough, it was the little things, the little comments. The details that revealed a depth of strategic knowledge and thinking.

Russell Wilson is the kind of prospect who's like a ****ing itch that won't go away. I can't help thinking that he might very well be -- when it's all said and done -- the 2nd best QB in this class after Luck. And I mean that sincerely. People make a huge deal about his size and I get that. But isn't height made an issue of because and only because it relates to performance? As in, the shorter you are, the less likely you are to achieve a certain level of performance?

But I think we all know that's not an absolute thing. It's a general rule. If a guy can achieve despite being shorter than ideal... he's still achieving, the way a short armed heavyweight like Mike Tyson or Rocky Marciano can still become champion of the world if they can, you know, knockout or otherwise beat to a pulp everyone who gets in their way.

He's my fourth QB in this draft, I know that. I'd MUCH rather have him than guys like Cousins or Foles or Osweiler. The things that stand in the way of those guys becoming top pros are, to me, much more daunting than Wilson's height.
He is very intriguing and of all the qb's in this years' draft, Wilson might have "lifted" his team the most. He's an exciting prospect, but the fact that no qb that short has ever been successful in the NFL is a factor. I guess to some extent those guys aren't given much of a chance either.

Back
Top Bottom