Gurley | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gurley

I just want to ffinally fix our OL so we can get excited about a top draft pick again. I look at our needs and hope we can get someone exciting in the first round, then remember we need to fix the Oline.
I'd like to see the team sign a good offensive lineman and defensive tackle in free agency. Then use the draft to get some playmakers, a linebacker and help at corner. In that scenario, the Dolphins could take a running back like Gordon or Gurley in the first.

End of the day we aren't good enough for a luxury pick. Both guys are supremely talented, but you see the production we get out of Lamar. We run a very RB friendly scheme and there's plenty of value in RB's in the mid to late rounds, or cheap in FA. With the needs we have and the lack of depth, I'm pretty certain we look elsewhere early on draft day.
No offense meant, but I think "luxury picks" are what can make this team elite. There are seven rounds in the draft, plus free agency. Why not go for the best player available for a change? I think that's what's held this team back.

You thumbed me down, but the truth is that I view knee injuries pretty seriously. I'm really, really concerned about Branden Albert, on a related note. People are assuming he will be back and in Pro Bowl form in 2015, and I already got the red flag out on that one. We might need Ja'Wuan James to hold the fort at left tackle for a couple of weeks to open the season.

I realize that individual injuries are different, but the flip side of that is that I don't have all of the details on Gurley's injury, surgery, or rehab. I'm essentially gambling on a guy who may have had his surgery botched or maybe even struggles to come back from it mentally. I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him, but it would impact whether or not I'd choose to take him in the first round, depending on who else is available.[/QUOTE

Albert a bit of a different story... contact valgus injury to a big guy that already has a valgus (knock kneed ) appearance...and needs his legs for lots of leverage. I hope he comes back well....

now that's a good point

somehow it let me delete a post of sfdolphins...sorry boss have no idea how that happened:idk:

I completely agree about not being able to take luxury picks in our position but at the end of the day RB is a need. Many back can suceed in an RB friendkly system but think about if we get a star RB in a scheme like this. Think Shady McCoy 2013...

Lamar Miller is a nice player...who left the game last week with another injury which happens far to often with him. He has left several games this year with injuries...shoulder, ankle, etc. If you have a chance to get an elite player at any position you should take it. The Jeff Ireland thought process is play it safe, take a position of need and fill holes...that's how our roster got to this point.

Haha hardly...you know who takes that approach? The Pats, how many marquee elite players do they have that were considered elite players when they acquired or drafted them? Probably 1, Revis. Draft well, plug your holes with quality players and you'll be successful. We don't have the depth which was abundantly clear today to justify spending a premium on the easiest position to get value out of. Is drafting a high upside guy like Sammie Coates or DGB taking the safe approach? I'm sorry, but I think seeing guys like Jadaveon Clowney or Marcus Lattimore should give you some pause for paying a premium for damaged goods. They were once elite college players who have succumb to multiple knee issues. I like Gurley, but if we're redshirting our first rounder for minimum 6 games we're not going to be in good shape, especially at a position like RB that we already get good value out of.

Upgrade Brian Hartline for a Kevin White level guy? Or upgrade Lamar Miller for a Todd Gurley? Pretty sure a big target pass catcher would open up our offense more. I love Gurley, but it's hardly being risk averse not taking him, there's too many factors working against him for a team in our position to invest highly in him.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

No offense meant, but I think "luxury picks" are what can make this team elite. There are seven rounds in the draft, plus free agency. Why not go for the best player available for a change? I think that's what's held this team back.

You know what held this team back this year? People getting injured and no one stepping up behind them. Lamar Miller didn't keep us from making the playoffs, with Knowshon I actually think we wouldv'e had a good shot. But that's the point, with a Knowshon level guy this team actually probably makes the playoffs...a 1 year flyer can give us enough production to make the playoffs. You're not going to get away with that at any other position. You know what bright teams tend to take RB's in the first round or near the top? The Browns, the Bucs...you know teams like that. Gurley's great, and without the knee injury he'd be a great get in round 1, but we aren't that team now that he's going to be injured for a chunk of the season.

Haha hardly...you know who takes that approach? The Pats, how many marquee elite players do they have that were considered elite players when they acquired or drafted them? Probably 1, Revis. Draft well, plug your holes with quality players and you'll be successful. We don't have the depth which was abundantly clear today to justify spending a premium on the easiest position to get value out of. Is drafting a high upside guy like Sammie Coates or DGB taking the safe approach? I'm sorry, but I think seeing guys like Jadaveon Clowney or Marcus Lattimore should give you some pause for paying a premium for damaged goods. They were once elite college players who have succumb to multiple knee issues. I like Gurley, but if we're redshirting our first rounder for minimum 6 games we're not going to be in good shape, especially at a position like RB that we already get good value out of.

Upgrade Brian Hartline for a Kevin White level guy? Or upgrade Lamar Miller for a Todd Gurley? Pretty sure a big target pass catcher would open up our offense more. I love Gurley, but it's hardly being risk averse not taking him, there's too many factors working against him for a team in our position to invest highly in him.

I thought Rob Gronkowski was the 2nd TE taken off the board when he was drafted...seemed pretty elite to me. Nate Solder was the 17th overall pick in 2011, Vince Wilfork was the best dang DT in the draft when the Patriots took him, Chandler Jones was a 1st round pick, Dont'a Hightower was a 1st round pick...Jerod Mayo was the top linebacker in the draft when they drafted him.

Marcus Lattimore was taken in the 3rd round by the way and had a history of injuries. Gurley doesn't have that history. Frank Gore also had a history of ACL injuries at Miami...both knees as a matter of fact...seems he turned out pretty good.

The likelihood of getting Kevin White at our pick is slim at best...very slim. Maybe you haven't noticed what Marshawn Lynch does for the Seahawks passing offense. Can you name one of their receivers? Take that running game away from Seattle and I bet they barely score 20 points per game. Pittsburgh just made the playoffs for the first time in 3 years...no coincidence that LaVeon Bell is running wild for them this year...running, catching passes...he's doing it all and it's opened up the passing for Roethlisberger. An elite RB will change the offense drastically.

I thought Rob Gronkowski was the 2nd TE taken off the board when he was drafted...seemed pretty elite to me. Nate Solder was the 17th overall pick in 2011, Vince Wilfork was the best dang DT in the draft when the Patriots took him, Chandler Jones was a 1st round pick, Dont'a Hightower was a 1st round pick...Jerod Mayo was the top linebacker in the draft when they drafted him.

Marcus Lattimore was taken in the 3rd round by the way and had a history of injuries. Gurley doesn't have that history. Frank Gore also had a history of ACL injuries at Miami...both knees as a matter of fact...seems he turned out pretty good.

The likelihood of getting Kevin White at our pick is slim at best...very slim. Maybe you haven't noticed what Marshawn Lynch does for the Seahawks passing offense. Can you name one of their receivers? Take that running game away from Seattle and I bet they barely score 20 points per game. Pittsburgh just made the playoffs for the first time in 3 years...no coincidence that LaVeon Bell is running wild for them this year...running, catching passes...he's doing it all and it's opened up the passing for Roethlisberger. An elite RB will change the offense drastically.

Guys taken at the end of round 1 generally aren't elite players at their positions. Gronk had a lot of questions coming out, mainly with injuries. The rest weren't necessarily slam dunk picks if they weren't made by Bill. Good prospects for sure, but not elite like Gurley. I'm aware when Lattimore was taken, but before his injury he was the best RB in college football, which is why I said top of the college football world at the time. I'm not arguing the value of a great RB, but people weren't calling Bell a first round back, they can be had later which is the point. Where we stand now we can't afford to redshirt a first round pick, it just isn't logical for where this team is at now. You mention guys like Solder, Jones, Hightower and Mayo, make the right evaluation at your pick and that's how you build the team. Those guys aren't elite prospects, solid prospects that worked for their teams. If I could get DGB and he checked out there's a mid first round guy with star potential. There's other guys with star potential in that area. But you can't just list first round picks and deem them elite prospects when a team hasn't picked in the top 10 in 15 years.

You wanna look at the other 9 teams in the playoffs and where their guys were drafted? I'm not arguing the value of an elite RB in this offense or for any offense, I've been on record saying I think Marshawn Lynch would do more for this offense than any player out there. It doesn't mean I'm using my 1st round pick on Gurley coming back from a knee injury, we need an immediate impact there. There's potential greatness if you draft the right guy RB in the draft every year, just gotta find it. At the end of the day the potential greatness of a guy like DGB or Sammie Coates seems like a more valuable positional need and a tougher asset to acquire and at a position we're weaker. It's hardly the Ireland approach...give me a break.

Now if Gurley's knee checks out and he's on track come draft time to be ready for the preseason lets see, I'm all for drafting him. Mid-first round is a totally fine value for an elite RB which Gurley is. Great fit for what we need, I'd love it and wanted him before the injury. But if he's gonna be on the PUP for 6+ weeks and his recovery isn't going well, by your admission there's plenty of elite players to be had in the late 1st and early second round and we can go that route.

Were not gonna draft Gurley w that knee Injury and an entire staff with there jobs on the line.

One thing I Would be interested in doing, which I know a lot of people will shake there heads at, is trading for Doug Martin. The bucs don't want him anymore, we can get him for nothing, and maybe he comes to Mia revitalized.

I'm also high on drafting La'el Collins to help the run game, and have protection just in case Albert isn't the same.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

You know what held this team back this year? People getting injured and no one stepping up behind them. Lamar Miller didn't keep us from making the playoffs, with Knowshon I actually think we wouldv'e had a good shot. But that's the point, with a Knowshon level guy this team actually probably makes the playoffs...a 1 year flyer can give us enough production to make the playoffs. You're not going to get away with that at any other position. You know what bright teams tend to take RB's in the first round or near the top? The Browns, the Bucs...you know teams like that. Gurley's great, and without the knee injury he'd be a great get in round 1, but we aren't that team now that he's going to be injured for a chunk of the season.
That's true. Miami is very thin, depth-wise on the offensive line. I like Lamar Miller, but I see both Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon as elite backs who can take the Dolphins game to the next level. I hate that Miami always passes on elite talent to fill needs. That's really my point more than taking a running back. I'd like to see the Dolphins add some elite talent. That's what's missing for that next step.

That's true. Miami is very thin, depth-wise on the offensive line. I like Lamar Miller, but I see both Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon as elite backs who can take the Dolphins game to the next level. I hate that Miami always passes on elite talent to fill needs. That's really my point more than taking a running back. I'd like to see the Dolphins add some elite talent. That's what's missing for that next step.

Personally I think there's a few WR's with star potential in the mid-first round that are within reach for us. If Gurley was healthy he'd be in play, but I rather upgrade on Hartline and get that big outside pass catcher, it opens up the offense more and it's an easier target for Tannehill to hit downfield. That'll get us out of our 20 yard box, assuming he gets better protection and he has more room for error with his deep ball. I think I'm more likely to get someone solid at RB another route than taking a risk on Gurley.

I'm not saying go all Jeff Ireland and pass on Gurley for a La'el Collins or something, I'm saying I'd pass on Gurley for an explosive playmaker at a more valuable position that is harder to come by.

Personally I think there's a few WR's with star potential in the mid-first round that are within reach for us. If Gurley was healthy he'd be in play, but I rather upgrade on Hartline and get that big outside pass catcher, it opens up the offense more and it's an easier target for Tannehill to hit downfield. That'll get us out of our 20 yard box, assuming he gets better protection and he has more room for error with his deep ball. I think I'm more likely to get someone solid at RB another route than taking a risk on Gurley.

I'm not saying go all Jeff Ireland and pass on Gurley for a La'el Collins or something, I'm saying I'd pass on Gurley for an explosive playmaker at a more valuable position that is harder to come by.
That I can live with. I really like DaVante Parker a lot and can see someone like Devin Funchess being really good in Bill Lazor's offense. The draft does appear to be loaded at running back. Just don't want to see Odrick/Misi instead of Thomas.

Were not gonna draft Gurley w that knee Injury and an entire staff with there jobs on the line.

One thing I Would be interested in doing, which I know a lot of people will shake there heads at, is trading for Doug Martin. The bucs don't want him anymore, we can get him for nothing, and maybe he comes to Mia revitalized.

I'm also high on drafting La'el Collins to help the run game, and have protection just in case Albert isn't the same.

I think Collins is going to shoot up the draft board, and I don't think he'll be available when we pick. There's also some question of scheme fit, but he looks like an underrated athlete to me. If Collins is there, though, I'd strongly consider drafting him to play LG as long as Albert is healthy.

Miami has a lot of needs in the draft, so it shouldn't be difficult matching "BPA" with need.

RB? Yeah, this team needs a stud. Miami hasn't controlled a game with the run since week 1. With Jeremy Hill, Miami is a playoff team. I have zero doubts about that.
WR? Landry looks like the only quality player who is a fit for Tannehill and the offense. So, yeah, we could use a big, athletic WR, who can win a jump ball.
TE? Not in the first, with this class, and Clay and Simms are fine, but a big, athletic seam threat would really help.
OT/OG/C? Albert's injury is a legit concern, our OG's blow, and who knows what we'll do with Pouncey.

DE? Wake isn't getting any younger, and beyond him, we have role players.
DT? We've been soft against the run, and Odrick and Starks may or may not return.
LB? SLB and MLB are well below average by league standards. At SLB, we have some interesting prospects in Jordan and McCain, but we don't have anything we can call a sure thing. And Misi ain't a MLB. Good effort, but Misi is just a guy you get by with.
CB? I'd prefer to address this position via FA. Coyle does great with veteran CB's, but we have nothing but question marks at the position (Grimes isn't getting any younger).
S? As long as Jones is playing around the line, he's a good player, but with Delmas' injury, Miami has a need at FS.

Miami needs to draft a star in the 1st RD. If you're looking at a great player, he'll be able to find the field in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom