Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

Damien Williams
Raheem Mostert
Billy Turner
Jordan Phillips
Rob Ninkovich
to name a few more recently.

trading Adewale Ogunleye after a 16-sack season for Marty Booker and a 3rd round pick that we traded for Lamar Gordon.
Damon Huard at least deserved a shot to be the starter after Dan retired, which he never got.

Minkah Fitzpatrick..I know he wanted out of Miami but I sure wish Fitzpatrick and Flores could have worked things out. Because I think if he stays healthy, Fitzpatrick will be an all pro safety for several years to come.

PRO BOWL...MAYBE-PROBABLY
ALL PRO DOUBTFUL

Wes Walker-It was an awful trade and Wes killed our Dolphins for years

Anthony Carter-I have no idea why Dolphins gave up on him so soon, he went to have a pretty good career with Minnesota with his best playoff game with 227 yards in an upset win over a great 49ers team, I never forgave the Dolphins for that one:bang:

Anthony Carter
I went absolutely bonkers when Miami got Anthony Carter out of the USFL. I was jumping all over the place with excitement. Pairing him with the Mark's brothers was like a wet dream come true!!! Lmaooooo!!! Then Shula trades him to Minnesota for some smuck LB named Robin Sendlin, who did absolutely nothing for Miami. I was pissed.

Last edited:
Joe Theisman would have been a nice bridge between Griese and Marino.
I was waiting for this one. So many people don’t realize we drafted him. However, wasn’t it a case of him refusing to play for us / we never actually signed him IIR and he was traded to the CFL or something odd like that. Had he been Griese’s backup he probably gets us a SB win in the early 80’s as he was a very good player w a lot of guts. Better than Woodley, more mobile than Strock. It’s a shame we couldn’t make it happen.

I went absolutely bonkers when Miami got Anthony Carter out of the USFL. I was jumping all over the place with excitement. Pairing him with the Mark's brothers was like a wet dream come true!!! Lmaooooo!!! Then Shula trades him to Minnesota for some smuck LB named Robin Sendlin, who did absolutely nothing for Miami. I was pissed.
I hear you but this is a little misleading. In ‘85 we had Duper, Clayton and Nat Moore still. We needed help on D. We traded Carter to Minny for a 2nd and the LB you referenced, then packaged the 2nd round pick w a no 1 and sent it to Tampa for Hugh Green. Green was probably the most disruptive LB in the game after Lawrence Taylor. And that’s saying something because there were so many disruptive LBs in that era - Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Andre Tippet, Chip Banks etc. I thought it was an awesome trade as much as I loved Carter. Reality is we didn’t “need” Carter but we absolutely needed some stars on D. Green was one of the best defensive players in the game - and at times a game-wrecker.

So what happened? He played a partial season w us in ‘85 after being traded, then got off on a tear to start the ‘86 season. 4 sacks in 2.5 games. Yep, tore his knee in game 3 and was never close to the same player after that - he lost so much speed. Had he not gotten hurt, he and Offerdahl would have made a heck of a LB corps in the late 80’s and perhaps the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 a couple of times. Carter wouldn’t have helped us win more games IMO as we had no trouble scoring back then. It was getting scored on that we couldn’t stop.

Damien Williams
Raheem Mostert
Billy Turner
Jordan Phillips
Rob Ninkovich
to name a few more recently.

trading Adewale Ogunleye after a 16-sack season for Marty Booker and a 3rd round pick that we traded for Lamar Gordon.
Damon Huard at least deserved a shot to be the starter after Dan retired, which he never got.
O-Gun for Booker and a 3 was understandable at the time. Panicking and sending the no 3 for the 3rd back on the Rams depth chart after Ricky retired / quit made it a horrible trade.

I hear you but this is a little misleading. In ‘85 we had Duper, Clayton and Nat Moore still. We needed help on D. We traded Carter to Minny for a 2nd and the LB you referenced, then packaged the 2nd round pick w a no 1 and sent it to Tampa for Hugh Green. Green was probably the most disruptive LB in the game after Lawrence Taylor. And that’s saying something because there were so many disruptive LBs in that era - Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Andre Tippet, Chip Banks etc. I thought it was an awesome trade as much as I loved Carter. Reality is we didn’t “need” Carter but we absolutely needed some stars on D. Green was one of the best defensive players in the game - and at times a game-wrecker.

So what happened? He played a partial season w us in ‘85 after being traded, then got off on a tear to start the ‘86 season. 4 sacks in 2.5 games. Yep, tore his knee in game 3 and was never close to the same player after that - he lost so much speed. Had he not gotten hurt, he and Offerdahl would have made a heck of a LB corps in the late 80’s and perhaps the difference between 8-8 and 10-6 a couple of times. Carter wouldn’t have helped us win more games IMO as we had no trouble scoring back then. It was getting scored on that we couldn’t stop.
Thanks for the reminder. I remember all too well. Hugh Green and Anthony Carter were two of my favorite Non Dolphin players at the time. I remember walking into the News Paper store in the Lobby of the Building I Worked in; reading about the trade and seeing my friend, who was also a Dolphin fan. I yelled out from across the store to him, all excited about the Green trade. All those poor people in the store at the time, must of thought I was psychotic!!! Man what a day that was.

Now that makes sense on why Anthony got traded but it is a shame the trade did not work out for us

I knew someone was going to say this. Billy Turner is NOT a serviceable guard. He was a horsesh*t lineman who along with Dallas Thomas and Jamil Douglas (the turnstile triplets) who was way overdrafted because of his supposed "upside" As far as him being "serviceable" in Green Bay, that's a misnomer. He's probably the worst guy on that unit. He looks much better than what he is due to playing with other linemen like Bakhtiari.

I really hope we don't give up on Michael Deiter too soon. He got off to a rocky start but I see him projecting as being better than guys like Hunt or Kindley. I've said many times on this forum that he will be this year's Mike Gesicki... most improved player

I think he was good in the running game but one of the worst pass blocking guards in the league which really should be no surprise to any Dolphins fans.

O-Gun for Booker and a 3 was understandable at the time. Panicking and sending the no 3 for the 3rd back on the Rams depth chart after Ricky retired / quit made it a horrible trade.

This board was very excited about Lamar Gordon. “Rick Does It Again” threads were all over the place. Finheaven really thought we fleeced the Rams. Gordon was terrible, absolutely terrible. Teams must have relaxed when Marshall Faulk went out making him look respectable.

Back
Top Bottom