Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

Jarvis Landry. He had amazing desire to win. He played great for the Dolphins. I didn't like the conduct penalties but I love the passion.

Wes Welker although the deal from the pats was hard to turn down
In six years vs. us while in New England, Wes had 95 catches for 1,178 yards and six TDs in 11 games total. This happened in an offense that during the first part had Wes as a nice compliment to Randy Moss who burned everyone repeatedly. We got a 2nd and 7th round pick for him. I would have rather sent him to the NFC than to Foxborough but that's just me. Even if it would have meant getting say, a 3rd rounder for him with no other compensation. At least he wouldn't go off on us and help turn that offense of theirs into a holy terror.

Oh by the way, our 2nd and 7th round picks?: Samson Satele, a center who played for us for two years before being sent to the Raiders and Abraham Wright, an LB out of Colorado who did nothing here. So was it REALLY worth it in the long run to trade him in the division? Either sign him to a new contract or deal him elsewhere. ANYTHING to keep him from "them".

In six years vs. us while in New England, Wes had 95 catches for 1,178 yards and six TDs in 11 games total. This happened in an offense that during the first part had Wes as a nice compliment to Randy Moss who burned everyone repeatedly. We got a 2nd and 7th round pick for him. I would have rather sent him to the NFC than to Foxborough but that's just me. Even if it would have meant getting say, a 3rd rounder for him with no other compensation. At least he wouldn't go off on us and help turn that offense of theirs into a holy terror.

Oh by the way, our 2nd and 7th round picks?: Samson Satele, a center who played for us for two years before being sent to the Raiders and Abraham Wright, an LB out of Colorado who did nothing here. So was it REALLY worth it in the long run to trade him in the division? Either sign him to a new contract or deal him elsewhere. ANYTHING to keep him from "them".
we let go of a potential hall of famer, I just don’t trust personnel offices until they are on the record for at least 4 years..Please don’t take that the wrong way, I mean none of us really have a record of the gms that get hired for our franchises.

Very flawed system imo

Last edited:
The first player that came to mind for me was Troy Vincent. Miami could have found a way to keep him. Thankfully, Jimmy Johnson drafted Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain shortly after letting Vincent go as a free agent.

I know the name but never knew he was a Dolphin. One DT we got rid of was Kevin Vickerson...not a dominant career but he was a pick of ours that was making real waves as a rookie before getting cut block and tearing his ACL in the preseason. We cast him aside and he ended up having a fairly long career. When you cast aside a guy on a rookie contract who carves out a ten year career in the league you did something wrong.

We had him for one or two seasons, then he was realeased.

The mention of Vontae Davis resonated w me. He was an ascending player who had two, 4 pick seasons out of 3 w us and it was clear he was on the cusp of all pro play. That trade was pretty bad.

Troy Vincent's name has been mentioned a few times. I agree, and wasn't happy, Miami let him walk. From what I remember, Jimmy Johnson made a last minute effort to sign Vincent, but it was too late. Vincent was my favorite player at the time too. It was a sad day for me when I learned he signed with Philly. At least Jimmy was able to work some draft magic and put together a Defense I was proud to watch every week. All is forgiven!!!

Why on Earth keep Henne? He had shown minimal progress and Matt Moore led what developed into a pretty high flying offense by the end of the year...something that Henne just wasn't capable of. He showed to be a serviceable backup but you don't re-sign your former QB of the future to be that, especially when you've got those guys on the roster.

Matthews was a FA. He had blossomed but we had a lot invested at that position at that point and it didn't make sense to sign Matthews to FA money.

I thought Henne's pocket mobility was much better his last year.

Just saying Rishard played better in TN.

The mention of Vontae Davis resonated w me. He was an ascending player who had two, 4 pick seasons out of 3 w us and it was clear he was on the cusp of all pro play. That trade was pretty bad.

Remember he had liquor on his breath and was late for practise or something.
They did not cut him for no reason if I remember correctly
A shame really. He did play well for 3 or 4 years for the Colts I believe

I said it as a joke but I was a little kid when Cecil Collins played and I remember telling my friends he was the RUNNING BACK Marino had been missing. He was doing really good, and then got arrested and cut, and I was just in shock.

I said it as a joke but I was a little kid when Cecil Collins played and I remember telling my friends he was the RUNNING BACK Marino had been missing. He was doing really good, and then got arrested and cut, and I was just in shock.

I remember we got him , J.J. Johnson and Rob Konrad and was sure Jimmy solved the running game
If i am not mistaken the 3 were on an S.I. cover at one time

Back
Top Bottom