Guys we gave up on too soon | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys we gave up on too soon

When you don’t win and your coaching staff turns over every few years a lot of players fall through the cracks. I was fairly upset we couldn’t get Vernon and Landry on team friendly deals, but for the previously stated reasons players don’t take pay cuts to play in Miami.

Shawn Lee. Good nose tackle. They thought Alfred Oglesby would be a competent replacement but he wasn’t. Lee had some strong years in SD after he wasn’t retained.

Shawn Lee. Good nose tackle. They thought Alfred Oglesby would be a competent replacement but he wasn’t. Lee had some strong years in SD after he wasn’t retained.
Interesting choice. Yes, Oglesby never turned into much of anything, but both he and Lee were part of the defensive renaissance (minor as it may have been) that put Miami back into contention in the early 90s.

Lee ended up going to the Chargers and that very year he played on the team that got crushed in the playoffs at Miami in 1992. But he was also on the team that beat Miami in SD in 1994 on its way to the Super Bowl. Oglesby rotated with Chuck Klingbeil at nose for that last Miami team to get to the AFC championship in ‘92.

Sadly, both Oglesby and Lee died in their early 40s (while Klingbeil died rather recently in his early 50s).

Some of you younger guys may not remember or even know of him, but for me getting rid of Norman Hand was very tough, with how dominant a DT he became for the Chargers.

I was thinking same thing....We drafted the big DT in later round and he stuck around a year or two. I kinda forgot about him, than I saw him still playing at a pretty high level 6-7 years later.

Rrr3eee333eee334
Shawn Lee. Good nose tackle. Lee had some strong years in SD after he wasn’t retained.
I actually sat right next to Shawn Lee's wife at that '94 Divisional Playoff loss in SD. She was pretty cool for the most part. Had a couple negative things to say about Shula, but that's about all she said.

Billy Turner - we cut him after he played a terrible game at left tackle, a position he was asked to play on the morning of the game with no prep time and he went on to become a serviceable guard.

I knew someone was going to say this. Billy Turner is NOT a serviceable guard. He was a horsesh*t lineman who along with Dallas Thomas and Jamil Douglas (the turnstile triplets) who was way overdrafted because of his supposed "upside" As far as him being "serviceable" in Green Bay, that's a misnomer. He's probably the worst guy on that unit. He looks much better than what he is due to playing with other linemen like Bakhtiari.

I really hope we don't give up on Michael Deiter too soon. He got off to a rocky start but I see him projecting as being better than guys like Hunt or Kindley. I've said many times on this forum that he will be this year's Mike Gesicki... most improved player

Good one. In fact, wasn’t it Lee who dumped Parmalee for the safety that changed the momentum in the ‘94 playoff game?

I knew someone was going to say this. Billy Turner is NOT a serviceable guard. He was a horsesh*t lineman who along with Dallas Thomas and Jamil Douglas (the turnstile triplets) who was way overdrafted because of his supposed "upside" As far as him being "serviceable" in Green Bay, that's a misnomer. He's probably the worst guy on that unit. He looks much better than what he is due to playing with other linemen like Bakhtiari.

I really hope we don't give up on Michael Deiter too soon. He got off to a rocky start but I see him projecting as being better than guys like Hunt or Kindley. I've said many times on this forum that he will be this year's Mike Gesicki... most improved player
Turnstile triplets - :)

Rrr3eee333eee334

I actually sat right next to Shawn Lee's wife at that '94 Divisional Playoff loss in SD. She was pretty cool for the most part. Had a couple negative things to say about Shula, but that's about all she said.
Oh man you were there for that one. We’ve had 2 soul-crushing playoff losses to SD in ‘81 and ‘94. We’ve beaten them a couple of times over that era but the games weren’t nearly as memorable.

I remember when he blew his knee going for the 2-pt prior to halftime at Minny. I think we were down 28-0 at one point and somehow the game came down to a late, surprise onside kick as Minny didn’t want to give the ball back to us. Don’t recall what happened to Kirby after that. He was a heck of a receiver out of the backfield. Not the most effective runner IIR.

Oh man you were there for that one. We’ve had 2 soul-crushing playoff losses to SD in ‘81 and ‘94. We’ve beaten them a couple of times over that era but the games weren’t nearly as memorable.
I was living in Ventura then. Drove all the way down to SD solo (none of my buddies were Miami fans so they weren't bucking up for a ticket). I got a scalper ticket lower level. Poured rain the whole drive down and the whole way back. My roommate and his girlfriend put a can of Starkist tuna on my bed before I got home. I went back down the next year when we beat them on Sunday Night. Wasn't the same...

He did not want to be here. End of story

Wish him well when he's not playing us I guess :shrug:

You are much kinder than me. If any player wants out - and especially before a contract runs and absent any unfair or unreasonable treatment - **** 'em. This isn't amateur football, or Sunday league. You are damn professional. You knew you wouldn't get to pick your team when you declared for the draft. Suck. It. Up.

Back
Top Bottom