Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard??

- The top guards were getting $12 million in free agency this year, the second tier guys were getting around $8 million, and most of those guys were power scheme guys while we are more of a zone quickness scheme.

Is that why we drafted Asiata? You should know by now that Gase isn't locked into one specific type of scheme, he implemented a combination of zone and power in Denver and Chicago.

Plus, do you really want to spend $8 million on a second tier guard? Really?

You don't see the irony in this statement?

- I know some people are really down on Kiko, but he's a pretty solid player, and we don't win that Chargers game last year if not for his pick 6, and we don't go to the playoffs if we didn't get 10 wins. We may have found another win somewhere, but glad we didn't have to.

He did win that game, chargers were driving to set up the GW fg, so I'll give him that, but I still don't understand why we had to extend him this year.

Last edited:
Gase actions don't seem to be hung up on salary. I'm just saying what it looks like and that's they really like the player for his role. William Hayes can play Harris has been solid not special and Fede is having the preseason of his life. Branch must be showing them something

I don't get all of the Branch hate; .75 sacks per start is not easy to come by, and it's usually expense when you do find it.

Also, I've read several times were coaches and players refer to Branch as having a Landry type of affect on the defense, he's a high energy guy that gets the rest of the defense going, I like those guys.

I was actually pleasantly surprised we were able to bring him back.

to an extent. You act like Kiko and Branch are out here making the most money at their positions and are complete scrubs. Are they each paid a little much? Yes. But they are solid pieces to have on the team. We should have kept Kiko on the RFA status for sure, and offered Branch less- and we still could have afforded a guard

DING DING DING!!!

Bad allocation of resources.

I'm not much of a branch guy frankly I didn't like that contract but he looks to be holding off some pretty solid looking players. I don't buy the Fede stuff as being sustainable in terms of pressure on the qb but William Hayes is showing to be a damn good football player and Harris has been all bull rush and dip the shoulder thus far saving the spin move from either hip for games that matter it appears. First step consistency not always there maybe he's sand bagging that one too.

Is that why we drafted Asiata? You should know by now that Gase isn't locked into one specific type of scheme, he implemented a combination of zone and power in Denver and Chicago.

You don't see the irony in this statement?

He did win that game, chargers were driving to set up the GW fg, so I'll give him that, but I still don't understand why we had to extend him this year.

- I did say "mostly" zone, I know Asiata came from a power scheme, probably why we waited until the 5th for that type of player, also why he will take longer to start for us when we are so desperate at the position.

- I see no irony in not wanting to pay $8 million for a second tier guard.

- I think Kiko was playing somewhat out of position as the Mike last year, I think he will be much better as a Will, and if he puts up a big year playing the Will we'll look pretty smart for locking him up a year early.

How about we wait to see how it plays out on the field? Then we can make an informed criticism

Asiata looks like the 2 deep right guard. I think they are leaning towards urbik as the starting left guard with or without pouncey until Larsen returns

Without pouncey brendel on the pivot

They never had intentions to pay for a guard. Always focused of the draft and good value at the position

Can never have enough talent at the DE position to get after QBs and stop the run.

And on top of that, the Dolphins Front Office restructured Hayes contract to let him be a free agent at the end of year (instead of being under contract for the relatively cheap rate of $5M). So next year, the Dolphins will likely have to be in the market for a DE again. Pretty brilliant forward thinking. And by brilliant, I mean stupid.

There were a lot of needs, and impossible to fill them all in one draft. LB, DT, OL and DE since it was a DE rich draft. It will take some time and luck to upgrade this team to perennial contender.

Back
Top Bottom