Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard?? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard??

And on top of that, the Dolphins Front Office restructured Hayes contract to let him be a free agent at the end of year (instead of being under contract for the relatively cheap rate of $5M). So next year, the Dolphins will likely have to be in the market for a DE again. Pretty brilliant forward thinking. And by brilliant, I mean stupid.

Hayes has already said he wants to be a Miami Dolphin for the rest of his career. The FO probably already has had discussions with him about his future.

And here’s some more good news about Hayes.

He loves Miami. He loves Gase. He loves his teammates.

Hayes is trying not to make too many bold statements before the season even starts. But this is pretty bold: he’s already decided he’d like to finish his career as a Dolphin.

“I’m happy,” Hayes said. “I want to spend the rest of my little career I’ve got left out here. And just give them everything I’ve got. I’m enjoying myself and having fun. It’s a good situation.”

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...e-wants-to-finish-his-career-a-miami-dolphin/

Defense wins.... Not guards. Point blank period.
As much as I dissed Kiko, I'm not against giving him a new contract because I doubt any player can jump into a new system and have trash playing around them without having some bad plays.

Signing Branch was common sense. You don't let talent like that walk out the door.

We have spent a ton of resources these past 10 years on the oline so I am not a huge fan of spending more with the underwhelming results we have gotten for the cost

We have spent a ton of resources these past 10 years on the oline so I am not a huge fan of spending more with the underwhelming results we have gotten for the cost

This is the 2nd most frustrating commentary of his off season, after why didn't we sign the guard that wasnt available this offseason . We signed Branch before we TRADED for Hayes, and a over a month before we drafted Hayes. We had no idea who would be available in the draft, or if we could get a good de via trade. All of that is irrelevant as our 4th DE will get 30-40% of our defensive snaps; thus making your 3rd and 4th DE almost as important as your 1st and 2nd.

Lol we traded for Hayes 2 days after resigning branch, so I'm pretty sure they were already having conversations with the Rams. So regardless of the draft they paid 1 guy to be top 10 money and traded for another guy who started the year before. Still doesn't make sense to me

Last edited:
Crappy O-Line draft.
Lisa Lamp-anelli is already out for the season and Cam Robinson is too aloof to play Guard
Overpriced guards in free agency.

We gave 12 Million to Super Mario last year. So we really gained a lot of cap space.
William Hayes being snatched up was a huge win for the FO.
Branch's contract might be viewed as steep, but Gase really likes his professionalism.
Don't even start with Harris, his pressures are well above average already and did you see his bull rush against Baltimore?

Kiko played outstanding last year and he was asked to plug holes. Which is not even his forte.

I'm sorry your sense of value is butthurt, but I absolutely applaud our front office for their work in the offseason.

Now pull yourself together and get a grip, we're still only halfway through preseason for crying out loud...

Ack5tk2.gif

This post deserves to be seen again.

Don't expect our management to plug every single hole in one offseason. They did a lot of good this year.

9th highest paid 4-3 DE actually so not sure how that isn't big money for him
For him or for the position? Branch is starting at a premier position....How much do you think you could have low balled him for to keep him? Remember that the coaches love this guy and want to reward him for reasons not seen on a stat sheet.

Lol we traded for Hayes 2 days after resigning branch, so I'm pretty sure they were already having conversations with the Rams. So regardless of the draft they paid 1 guy to be top 10 money and traded for another guy who started the year before. Still doesn't make sense to me

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2016-snap-counts.htm
Please follow that link. Our 4th De in snap counts last year had 38% of our snaps. That means you 3rd and 4th guys play 40% of the snaps. You need a lot of quality at DE.

Its ridiculous that anyone who watched how undermanned that defense still ways last year could question money being spent there. We at least brought some options in for the o-line but unfortunately injuries a couple deep are going to make that a terrible position. We scarcely even had those guys at LB and we lost two of the four we have so............probably a long season even with Kiko locked up.

Snoop, how do you figure we would have gotten a 1st rounder if Kiko left?

I would've let Kenny Stills go in in free agency, and pushed harder to sign Kevin Zeitler. The Dolphins refusal to put premium resources in the guard position was very arrogant. We aren't the Patriots, don't coach like them, and didn't have the QB like them. I don't know why they thought they had the clout to have that mindset.

Last edited:
I think what you cannot underestimate when discussing Branch, Alsonso and Stills is the culture factor. When you just finished your first season as the head coach and you're still trying to establish a winning culture, you reward your own guys for their good performances. That's why these guys got their extensions: they had very good seasons and deserved the money they got. Play well, get paid. Works wonders in the locker room.

Back
Top Bottom