Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard?? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard??

Every last team in NFL has to repeat off seasons addressing the same needs year after year. This is a league with a 100 percent injury rate, and s salary capped sport to boot. It's going to happen.

The smart route to take would've been to give Kiko the low tender (1 year, $1.8M), signed Warford or Leary, sign Alex Okafor to the same 1 year $3M deal the Saints gave him and same deal we gave Branch last year, we still trade for Hayes and draft Harris. This saves us a couple mil on the cap this year but about $10M next year, with the front 7 virtually the same as current day and we get a bolstered OL. Maybe Landry would already be signed had we done it this way.

Is "want to reward him for reasons not seen on a stat sheet" helping your case? I think that is exactly the issue this thread is bringing up. You shouldnt pay guys who dont perform at that level. Meaning, if you pay him as the 9th highest DE in the league, he better be the 9th best (which he clearly isnt).

I think he is getting paid exactly where he is ranked. You seem to think Branch is a bust DE not worth his new contract. Based on what? Gase has him starting and I haven't seen any reason he shouldn't be.
Please enlighten us with his glaring faults and reasons why he shouldn't start.

That decision is looking REAL questionable right now.

This really bothers me so I have to get it off my chest, the interior of our line is as shaky and worrisome as any team in this league. I mean we are one Pouncey injury away (which some would call an inevitability) from a complete disaster.

Negative Vibe Merchant Of The Month Award goes to...... cheer up!

But by prematurely signing a mediocre, injury prone player to an extension we sacrificed a great advantage, no matter how good a player is, when he's restricted his team gets to choose between 3 tender amounts, and all 3 are for 1 year deals below $4M. And if he signs an offer sheet that you choose not to match, you're eligible to get a high pick in return. The Patriots were able to give Stephen Gilmore $65 million because their other starting corner is a RFA making $3.9M this year despite being one of the best corners in football.

I'm not totally against them having waited on Kiko, but I didn't hate the deal either. With that said, your Patriots comparison is pretty off base. The Patriots investment in Gilmore has less to do with what they're paying Butler and more to do with their ability to coach up players playing beyond their contracts - how much money do they have invested in their OL? Or in their receivers? Or in their running backs?

Butler is going to get paid, and they're gonna be paying premium money to both guys. They'll also maybe end up paying an extra small premium to lock in Butler next season (contract inflation), but being they're in win-now mode they are playing it correctly.

We aren't the Patriots and we aren't built anywhere like them. They need to play each season by ear because they should be the favorite every year. It's a very unique position to be in, but you handle roster decisions a little differently when the short term is so important for your squad.

Is that why we drafted Asiata? You should know by now that Gase isn't locked into one specific type of scheme, he implemented a combination of zone and power in Denver and Chicago.

We used zone running plays almost 80% of the time last year. It'll be similar this season. It won't change b/c of a single rookie lineman. Main reason being it's Ajayi's preference as well.

last year Miami was top 10 in rushing offense and sacks allowed, meanwhile they were 30th in run D and tied for 19th in sacks. I think I would invest on Defense, too

You forgot the offense was
31st in total 3rd downs converted(69)....31st in the NFL

Total Overall first downs 278 (31st again)

Offensive plays per game ("LAST" in the NFL with 57)

Offensive time of possession (27th)

4TH downs converted (32nd last in the NFL)

Yards per game average (25th )

1ST quarter points per game (31st)

2nd Quarter Points/Game (24th)

1st quarter time of possession ( 32nd LAST in the NFL)

1st Half Time of Possession Share % (31st)

Team QB Sacked Percentage (23rd)

Passing First Downs per Game (27th)

Team Rushing First Downs per Game (22nd)

Might want to reconsider

Might want to reconsider

Nahhh, I think Gase and the FO still made the right moves.

No because that means if half (16) of the teams play a 4-3 and have 2 DEs (32), that means he is the 9th out of 32 highest paid starting DE. That means 72% of starting DEs make less than him. That is my point! Not to mention Cam Wake is also top 5 on that list, oh and should we mention Suh?

That could also be misleading, because a 3-4 DE is probably a 4-3 DT with different responsibilities. Then the question becomes of those 8 that are being paid more then Branch, how many can rush the passer (Pass-rushers are paid premium money), as well as hold up at the point of attack against the run.

Branch, though not exactly a great pass-rusher, did show enough to warrant a new contract, considering how well he also can play the run. Might be a bit more then we would hope for, but he is still young, and could develop into a premium player in Miami, which would then make the contract a steal.

Might want to reconsider
I was going for things more directly associated with the O-line

Guards are the two least important positions on the field. Hypothetically, we should be able to find two decent enough guards in the middle to late rounds to start. I mean, every other team does it. Somehow, we haven’t been able to do so lol

Alonzo was a RFA so he'd still be here on a low 1 year deal which is preferable right now given his injury history and glaring weaknesses. And yes I would gladly sacrifice Andre Branch for a Warford or Leary right now and signed a DE like Alex Okafor for $3 million. You find the next Andre Branch on a 1 year deal for depth.
Exactly this!,

Back
Top Bottom