Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard?? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard??

Crappy O-Line draft.
Lisa Lamp-anelli is already out for the season and Cam Robinson is too aloof to play Guard
Overpriced guards in free agency.

We gave 12 Million to Super Mario last year. So we really gained a lot of cap space.
William Hayes being snatched up was a huge win for the FO.
Branch's contract might be viewed as steep, but Gase really likes his professionalism.
Don't even start with Harris, his pressures are well above average already and did you see his bull rush against Baltimore?

Kiko played outstanding last year and he was asked to plug holes. Which is not even his forte.

I'm sorry your sense of value is butthurt, but I absolutely applaud our front office for their work in the offseason.

Now pull yourself together and get a grip, we're still only halfway through preseason for crying out loud...

Ack5tk2.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure why we paid Branch big money, signed Hayes and then also drafted a DE

This is the 2nd most frustrating commentary of his off season, after why didn't we sign the guard that wasnt available this offseason . We signed Branch before we TRADED for Hayes, and a over a month before we drafted Hayes. We had no idea who would be available in the draft, or if we could get a good de via trade. All of that is irrelevant as our 4th DE will get 30-40% of our defensive snaps; thus making your 3rd and 4th DE almost as important as your 1st and 2nd.

It really,really does look awful for the FO. I mean like....a fifth grader could have managed things better.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they must really like the youngsters Steen and Brendel, and Asiata was expected to contend for a starting role in 2018. Maybe they thought they already had a good prospect to lock down LG and Asiata was RG of the future. Obviously, Larson was a stopgap.

If Brendel and Steen end up playing well this year, then hey, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Steen played hurt last year, so maybe? Brendel checked all the boxes coming into the league except size and strength. He has added some size; whether or not he is going to be able to anchor against the best DT's in the league is another matter.

As always the board is divided....lol.....but there's nothing wrong with that. It's part of being a fan. Both sides are making some strong points. I'm very worry about the guard position and the whole o-line really. At the same time I'm happy we drafted Harris. We need a consistent pass rush. Branch? imo he's average. 5.5 sacks is just average but at least he did play hard so I'm hoping he'll do better with more snaps this year. We had a lot of holes to fill but you have to put that on the FO. If they hadn't missed so many times in the past then we wouldn't have so many holes to fill so you can't have it both ways. I'm hoping for the best of course. Some people hae everything the FO does and some people love everything the FO does. I like some of the things they did but not others. What is so wrong with saying that?

Ozzy rules!!

i think without 1-3 real games... that thread looks pretty stupid right now......

Ya bro shame on him for trying to start a conversation on a message board. Congrats on being that guy.

Didnt understand the branch signing, ok with kiko

Every year, most players wage increases if they have started the full season or proved they can play in the NFL. This is the case with these two. Kiki was a must sign IMO and Branch too was important. If we let either go, we would have had to fork out as much to get a replacement player or more depending on the market value....and thats going up.

1. Probably could of held off on giving Kiko the long term deal. Wait and see how he did at WOLB, since he was a RFA and tendered. Guess they felt comfortable about him doing better there.
2. I wanted a guard higher up in the draft. Didn't work out that way. Don't really care for building the interior of the line through FA. The few good linemen that slip to FA get paid like great players.
3. Wake is old, Hayes is an UFA and Branchs deal is set up where he can be cut next year without much repercussion. DE is a position that is starting to get close to Quarterback $$$ #'s for elite players. It's obviously TBD how good Harris can be, but we have a DE under contract for up to 5 years for not a lot of money. He isn't a perfect DE, but I think if he can put in the work, along with the coaching staff, he can become a very good pass rusher.

1. Probably could of held off on giving Kiko the long term deal. Wait and see how he did at WOLB, since he was a RFA and tendered. Guess they felt comfortable about him doing better there.
2. I wanted a guard higher up in the draft. Didn't work out that way. Don't really care for building the interior of the line through FA. The few good linemen that slip to FA get paid like great players.

$8.5M a year isn't crazy money, my whole argument is that it's close to what we paid both Branch and Kiko, 2 guys who are far from special, given the circumstances its clearly more worthwhile to spend it on a Warford or Leary.

3. Wake is old, Hayes is an UFA and Branchs deal is set up where he can be cut next year without much repercussion. DE is a position that is starting to get close to Quarterback $$$ #'s for elite players. It's obviously TBD how good Harris can be, but we have a DE under contract for up to 5 years for not a lot of money. He isn't a perfect DE, but I think if he can put in the work, along with the coaching staff, he can become a very good pass rusher.

I wish this were the case but it isn't. His cap number is $10M next year, cutting him brings almost $12M in dead money which means regardless of how he plays this year he isn't going anywhere until 2019.

Every year, most players wage increases if they have started the full season or proved they can play in the NFL. This is the case with these two. Kiki was a must sign IMO and Branch too was important. If we let either go, we would have had to fork out as much to get a replacement player or more depending on the market value....and thats going up.
We owned the rights to Kiko, he wasn't going anywhere, if he left we'd have received a 1st rounder.

Wow!!! You Butt-hurt, Kiko is not that good, and did not deserve a contract bunch are starting to get soooo boring...and now Snoop also has a problem with Cuban?
giphy.gif

I like the idea of continuity, getting the right system fits and betting on them. Let's hope it works out. If we fail, at least we tried something new. What really, really burns, though, is we let Vernon go after he got 30 QB hits and 35.5 hurries, and most of us felt he wasn't that good and his numbers were inflated by playing opposite Wake. A year later, Branch comes in and produces 9 hits and 20 hurries... and Vernon gets 19 hits and 66 hurries. While he counts about 60% more against the cap, that was money well spent for the Giants :cry

Kiko played out of position last year and still had a pretty good year. The FO thought his was vital part of the franchise and as of right now I don't have any complaints about how Grier and Gase have operated. It would be naive to think we overpaid for Branch when there was other teams willing to pay the same or more. Branch is a young DE who obviously isn't a pro bowler but he didn't get paid like one. He got paid like a starting 28 yr old DE who is a 6-8 sack guy. Branch has huge support from his teammates which is a big deal considering great teams care about each other and stick together on and off the field. I think everyone needs to get used to the idea that contracts are rising rapidly. Everyone thought we were stupid for paying a HOF DT but wait til Mack, Donald, Clowney are going to get paid. We will see Kiko at his natural position and if Branch can get 6-7 sacks it's worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom