Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ? | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ?

lol, i dont agree with everything junc says, but he has plenty of football knowledge. just because u disagree with someone does not deem them as having a lack of knowledge

what u dont realize is, that u make just as many excuses for tannehill as he does for his players, why the hell is it different?

Well this explains a lot

:sidelol: Says the guy that defended Buttfumble tooth and nail.

the guy who was head and shoulders better than anything Ryan tannehill has shown, the guy who helped his team nearly reach 2 SBs but this isn't about him. It's about Ryan, who apparently has been great. it's those pesky mediocre receivers that keep holding him down.

the guy who was head and shoulders better than anything Ryan tannehill has shown, the guy who helped his team nearly reach 2 SBs but this isn't about him. It's about Ryan, who apparently has been great. it's those pesky mediocre receivers that keep holding him down.

According to who? You keep making up crap like it's going out of style.

Let me ask you two simple questions.

Did you see the drop by Sims against the Patriots?

Why are you content with mediocrity from the receivers
?

bold a. yes, i did, but come on dude, lets be real. in the end, it all avgs out. there are passes that are dropped that should be caught, which in return hurt the qbs pcts, etc, but the other side, there are also going to be times where the qb makes a pass behind a wr, a bit over/ or under thrown, and the wr will make a nice catch, therefore adding to the qbs pcts, etc, even when it was a poor pass and should have been incomplete.

these things all avg out. that is all i am trying to say. yes there can be a specific game where wrs drop critical passes that could have led to big gains, i get that, but when u look back at a qbs numbers at years end, the numbers usually reflect a qbs performance.

like a qb can have a pass int because a wr slipped, which even though is nowhere near his fault, it counts against them, but on the other side, qbs will also have some passes that should be int, but the defender drops it, so they do not get credited with the int.

question 2. i am not content with mediocrity from wrs. i think wallace has been very good this year, even though i am still irritated that i can not see him do here what he was doing in pitt with big ben what seemed like on a weekly basis. our wrs will do well for the most part when the qb plays well. like against the chiefs and bills, our wrs did not do so well, because our qb did not play a good game in those games. tannehill played excellent sunday, and our wrs looked good.

again, the reason i bring up the qb as the main focal point, is because they r, on every team.

obviously there are other parts like defense that need to perform, etc, but truth is our defense is good enough, that coupled with good qb play, does not even need to be great, we should be a 9-7, 10-6 team. r we the seahawks defense? not even close, are we the cardinals or bengals defense? nope, and that is why i dont have such crazy expectations.

To win a superbowl, ur going to need not good, but great play from everyone, but to just be a middle of the road team, win 9-10 games and get to the playoffs, u do not need to be stellar.

just my 2 cents, no hard feelings, i just like having a good debate.

its years and years of terrible seasons with the exception of 08 that just builds frustration. we used to be a lock for the playoffs year in and year out, and when we weren't getting to superbowls it used to be disappointing. Now, if we freaking make the playoffs everyone will be ecstatic, that's how far this franchise has fallen the past decade.

You and I disagree on Sanchez. You've said on TGG that he was developing in his first year. I've called him bad. You said he was a top 10 QB in his second year. I said he was good enough as Westhoff said to stay out of the way of the postseason drivers. You said he was mediocre in his third year. I said he was worse than that choking in 3 of his last games on the way to a sure postseason, and if he was mediocre, Tannehill was better than that. You said he was bad in his last year, but there were extenuating circumstances. First you said his '12 OL was as bad as we had in '13; I showed you that PFF ranked them #3 and Football Outsiders #16, so there was no comparison. You said there were scrubs.. I reinforced to you what even the fed up homers on TGG were telling you.. that it doesn't matter the degree of scrubbiness.. if when they're open, Sanchez still did his happy dance and consistently instead threw into triple coverage; and that if they were scrubs, while Tannehill made Hartline, Clay and Matthews better, Sanchez made his '12 crew worse.

But more than that, there were 7 times, even starting before the Colts charity where Sanchez choked putting up typical numbers when in playoff contention before "the gift." And that includes the game of the gift where he sucked through 35 minutes before the leading Colts removed their starters and inserted Curtis Painter who put up a 11QBR the rest of the game, a 16QBR the next week against Buffalo and when tanking for Luck, a 65QBR with 6 TDs and 9 Ints. And then of course there's the SD PO game where Kaedig missed 2 chip shots, a makeable long one and Rivers gave the ball back to the Jets Defense inside the 20 (talking about your field position in another thread), where Greene ripped off a 53 yard run , and Sanchez crapped the bed with 1 TD, 1 Int, a sub 70QBR and 12 of 23 for 101 yards.

But see for yourself as follows: The bottom Line: if Tannehill was on the 09 jets he wouldn't need starters being taken out to win and certainly could have done a better job in 10 than Sanchez considering that was a shaky Brady's first gunshy year back. Whatever 7-7 and 2 laydown 09 Sanchez was, Tannehill was better, if the 12 Sanchez was mediocre, Tannehill was better than mediocre. When you're benched for Greg ****ing McElroy and the team that knows you best, doesn't want you back, that says it all!

impawl-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't make excuses for him. I've laid out the reality of the situations he has been in and the progress he has made with the Miami Dolphins as a football team and do so, with no qualms nor apology, in a positive thought process as a Miami Dolphin fan. Things aren't as cut and dry as the bar stool buffoonery that BSPN entails to you. I've also picked up on enough of your posts to realize that you generally don't have a clue when it comes to the logistics of football; including your inability to differentiate between the individual and team aspects. Leaving an obvious conclusion that you have never played on any level besides dabbling in that of a video game or a fantasy football format. That sir, is what the hell the difference is when it comes to you and I.
ur wrong about how i don't understand the logistics of football. just because u tend to disagree does not make ur opinion more right than mine. just because i tend to look at the qb and judge him more critically, and u decide since u want to believe he is the one for as long as u can, does not make ur opinion any better than mine.

u r right though about me not playing on any level of football because i have not, but i do not play video games or fantasy football like u claim i do. as a matter of fact i ****ing hate fantasy football, its not real football.

if u have played on a certain level of football, congrats to u, i am happy for u, i know i do not have the ability to do so, and it is a very hard thing to do, so again, congrats to u, well done.

all i am trying to say, and i do not know why i even bother writing this because u will disagree anyways, is that most teams will go as far as the qb takes them.

i dont think i need to state that obviously we cant have our entire wr core and o line depleted and still expect to have success, but as long as there are not major injuries, a teams success is usually tied to a qb performance.

How many teams in todays nfl have winning seasons with very little production at qb play? its rare. u dont need to put up peyton numbers necessarily, but u need to be able to produce on a weekly basis. That is why with a guy like henne, and all our other prior qbs, we were a bad team, because those qbs were total trash.

i am hoping this changes with tannehill. heck i was not really outspoken against him until the very end of last year into this year.

rookie year he got a pass, last year even in the beginning of the year he was doing fine, i just got upset at years end, and it looked like it was carrying into this year as well.

hopefully he can build on his play vs oakland, because then this team will most likely have some success this year, even if it is as little as a wildcard berth and 1st round exit.

keep in mind, i am not talking about winning a superbowl here even, just a regular 9-10 win team. also, our defense is decent enough to get us through the regular season with competent qb play

every game so far that we have lost with tannehill under center, we have scored under 24 points offensively, meaning we r not losing games because the defense is choking, even though the offense is doing all they can. ( speaking about his career, not this year only)

however, there have been games we have won with tanny under center in which we have scored less than 20 pts offensively.

i just care about wins and losses at the end of the day, and so far, in his 36 games as fins qb, we have won all the games he has played well in, but never lost a game in which he has played a really good overall game.

Last edited by a moderator:
bold a. yes, i did, but come on dude, lets be real.

You asked if any of the 12 drops in the first three games would have been TDs or long gains. YOU ASKED. I simply answered the question that you should have already known the answer to. I realize you were simply trying to downplay the drops to keep the blame mostly on the QB. Through the first 3 games, 12 drops is way too many. They may even out over the whole season but not over 3 games.

The bottom line is this.

Ryan Tannehill is every bit as talented as the last two SB winners (Wilson, Flacco), just as good as the two before that were in their first two years (Eli, Ben) and just as good or better as several other young QBs (Foles, Dalton, RGIII, Cousins) are right now.

Last year he put up a solid season behind the league's worst OL supported by one of the worst running games and a bad OC. Those are facts, not excuses. The Jets game is the only game that was a huge disappointment. He didn't play well, no excuses. The first three games this year were not as good as most of the 2nd half of last season. For me, that doesn't erase the solid 7 game stretch pointed out in the Perkins article. Those games still happened. He still played very well in that stretch. He is still the same QB.

Just take a look at this season. In the games that we remain balanced and ran the ball, we blew out the other team. In the games where we didn't, we lost. I put the blame for the KC loss on Lazor the most. 15 rushing attempts in that game for Miller was far too low. We should have dominated with the run in the 4th quarter. KC did and we didn't. That is more responsible for the loss than any other single thing.

The QB is probably the only single player that can undermine the rest of the team by playing poorly but poor performances by other units can inhibit the QB from performing at his highest level. It is a fact that a drop of a perfectly thrown ball is an incomplete pass just like a miss on a poorly thrown ball. Looking at the raw stats in isolation is pointless. 12 drops is only a problem because it is so high in comparison to the other teams. I posted stats that showed that in the first three games, Tannehill was no more inaccurate than any of the other young QBs. So two factors lead to drops. In one, the Dolphins were about normal. For the other, they were worst in the league. Those are simply facts.

obviously there are other parts like defense that need to perform, etc, but truth is our defense is good enough, that coupled with good qb play, does not even need to be great, we should be a 9-7, 10-6 team. r we the seahawks defense? not even close, are we the cardinals or bengals defense? nope, and that is why i dont have such crazy expectations.

In our division, we are last in points against and first in points scored. Which is contributing the most to our first place tie?

Back
Top Bottom