Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ?

there's a freaking helmet there that pic doesnt tell you his knee is down when the ball is coming loose...if thats the only angle they had which it wouldnt be that would be one of those call on the field stands if reviewed plays

he puts the helmet right on the ball at the same time the knee is going down
the ball doesn't come out until knee hits, I don't have the other angle which is more conclusive but this gives you an idea. the rules expert, former ref Mike carey, said on the broadcast it would be overturned and it wasn't.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Wow bad call in hometown New York. No wonder Rex was having a fit.

"We have 9 penalties and they have none, Its the Raiders" LMAO

that was funny but it happened again week 2. I don't know if the Jets just have a bad reputation for being overly aggressive or what but the first 2 weeks haven't been good to them officiating wise. we didn't lose b/c of it at GB but they sure didn't help. Hopefully these things even out.

there's a freaking helmet there that pic doesnt tell you his knee is down when the ball is coming loose...if thats the only angle they had which it wouldnt be that would be one of those call on the field stands if reviewed plays

he puts the helmet right on the ball at the same time the knee is going down

looks like he is down to me. But if they called it a fumble on the field then I can see them not having enough to overturn.

the ball doesn't come out until knee hits, I don't have the other angle which is more conclusive but this gives you an idea. the rules expert, former ref Mike carey, said on the broadcast it would be overturned and it wasn't.

i don't care what mike carey said...there's nothing there to overturn that call

Geno throws a better ball imo

but thats not to say he is better overall than Tannehill. I think Tannehill bounces back and gets us a win this coming Sunday

I think it is too soon to evaluate Ryan this season based on playing in a brand new system. Tread water the first half and the hope(for you guys) is that he gets later in the year and you take off from there.

He hasn't passed him yet. But he will by the end of this season. Simply put, based on his high school and college careers Smith is more experienced as a QB. He didn't spend a couple of years playing WR like our QB did.

All good points. Geno Smith certainly is a more confident quarterback than Ryan Tannehill. He's growing in swagger out there. You could see it in the season finale last year and in the first two games this season. It's natural residue of a logical progression. Geno played sparingly as a college freshman then took over the starting role as a sophomore. I was already very familiar with him and betting the games. Geno had excellent yards per attempt -- above 8 his final two seasons -- and won tons of games the next three years, including a dismantling of Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Too many fans fail to understand the value of a full successful college career. Every week on this site there's an obsession with knocking Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick. Hilarious beyond description. One of them might be trending up and the other trending down. We'll pick on the one trending down and briefly ignore the other one. Then wait for it to reverse. What a party! As always I have no idea what it has to do with Ryan Tannehill, the guy who has been a .500 quarterback in the NFL after leading an extremely talented Texas A&M team with a massive power rating to 7-6 his senior year, including several blown halftime leads. Guys like Dalton and Kaepernick and Geno led college offenses that racked up yards and victories for years. They fully expect to do the same thing in the NFL. More often than not it will play out that way, even if we'd prefer to believe they are more like Tim Tebow than our savior Tannehill.

Geno was bouncing around out there last week at Green Bay. Lots of energy. I like the Jets so the outcome annoyed me. Key play was late second quarter inside 2 minutes when the Jets led 21-9 and were driving. That possession was critical to the math. Green Bay was going to be a 6 or 7 point favorite for the second half alone. So you can see what was in the balance. If the Jets score to lead 24-9 or 28-9 then Green Bay is a considerable underdog to pull it out. Instead, Geno got hit in the legs just as he threw the ball, taking steam off the throw and enabling an interception. The replays weren't conclusive but I'm not convinced that isn't a touchdown if he has time to step into the throw. Geno can generate plenty of zip. The defensive back had time to wander over there but that was based on a fluttering throw not a dart. Rodgers led a late scoring drive that closed the halftime margin to 21-16. Now the Jets are underdogs, even if they didn't realize it.

As always, TedSlimm's opinion is touted as long as if doesn't involve Tannehill. Amazing how that works.

Might as well add EJ Manuel to the conversation.

sure...why not...like geno i'm not all that impressed...although he played a clean game against us...well we had a couple opportunities but we didnt capitalize on them...i expected him to give us some more though...

i haven't seen anyone mention kaepernick on here...but since awsi did...he lost that game for the 9ers with his play sunday night...well he and jonathon martin play in the second half lost it

willie young murdered martin

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Instead of Tannehill vs Wilson its Tannehill vs Smith. Geno Smith is horrific.

All good points. Geno Smith certainly is a more confident quarterback than Ryan Tannehill. He's growing in swagger out there. You could see it in the season finale last year and in the first two games this season. It's natural residue of a logical progression. Geno played sparingly as a college freshman then took over the starting role as a sophomore. I was already very familiar with him and betting the games. Geno had excellent yards per attempt -- above 8 his final two seasons -- and won tons of games the next three years, including a dismantling of Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Too many fans fail to understand the value of a full successful college career. Every week on this site there's an obsession with knocking Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick. Hilarious beyond description. One of them might be trending up and the other trending down. We'll pick on the one trending down and briefly ignore the other one. Then wait for it to reverse. What a party! As always I have no idea what it has to do with Ryan Tannehill, the guy who has been a .500 quarterback in the NFL after leading an extremely talented Texas A&M team with a massive power rating to 7-6 his senior year, including several blown halftime leads. Guys like Dalton and Kaepernick and Geno led college offenses that racked up yards and victories for years. They fully expect to do the same thing in the NFL. More often than not it will play out that way, even if we'd prefer to believe they are more like Tim Tebow than our savior Tannehill.

Geno was bouncing around out there last week at Green Bay. Lots of energy. I like the Jets so the outcome annoyed me. Key play was late second quarter inside 2 minutes when the Jets led 21-9 and were driving. That possession was critical to the math. Green Bay was going to be a 6 or 7 point favorite for the second half alone. So you can see what was in the balance. If the Jets score to lead 24-9 or 28-9 then Green Bay is a considerable underdog to pull it out. Instead, Geno got hit in the legs just as he threw the ball, taking steam off the throw and enabling an interception. The replays weren't conclusive but I'm not convinced that isn't a touchdown if he has time to step into the throw. Geno can generate plenty of zip. The defensive back had time to wander over there but that was based on a fluttering throw not a dart. Rodgers led a late scoring drive that closed the halftime margin to 21-16. Now the Jets are underdogs, even if they didn't realize it.

As always, TedSlimm's opinion is touted as long as if doesn't involve Tannehill. Amazing how that works.

The confidence aspect you point out between the two is an astute one. I think the fair comparison is where they were both at through the first 18 starts of their careers since that's where Geno is at. Tannehill has an extra season under his belt.

Geno Smith has been responsible for 21 total TD's and 23 INT's through his first 18 starts. The Stephen Hill aspect is significant and cannot be ignored. It was a factor.

Tannehill was responsible for 14 TD's and 15 INT's through his first 18 starts.

These are the bottom line statistics.

One clearly needs to cut down on turnovers. The other needs to cut down on turnovers AND increase output in terms of points.

As a few good posters have already pointed out in other threads, you're always going to leave points on the field with Tannehill because of his inconsistent accuracy, situational awareness, and feel for the game. He cannot seize momentum of a game consistently because he let's too many opportunities to do so slip by.

All of this illustrates perfectly your point about how we've already been provided this crucial data via their college careers.

Most people on this forum were already weary of Tannehill when he was selected....because they're not easily fooled.
They just gave the benefit of the doubt because of the Mike Sherman factor. All those posts are easily available.

Back
Top Bottom