Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Geno Smith passed R. Tannehill ?

The confidence aspect you point out between the two is an astute one. I think the fair comparison is where they were both at through the first 18 starts of their careers since that's where Geno is at. Tannehill has an extra season under his belt.

Geno Smith has been responsible for 21 total TD's and 23 INT's through his first 18 starts. The Stephen Hill aspect is significant and cannot be ignored. It was a factor.

Tannehill was responsible for 14 TD's and 15 INT's through his first 18 starts.

These are the bottom line statistics.

One clearly needs to cut down on turnovers. The other needs to cut down on turnovers AND increase output in terms of points.

As a few good posters have already pointed out in other threads, you're always going to leave points on the field with Tannehill because of his inconsistent accuracy, situational awareness, and feel for the game. He cannot seize momentum of a game consistently because he let's too many opportunities to do so slip by.

All of this illustrates perfectly your point about how we've already been provided this crucial data via their college careers.

Most people on this forum were already weary of Tannehill when he was selected....because they're not easily fooled.
They just gave the benefit of the doubt because of the Mike Sherman factor. All those posts are easily available.

:lol: geno over tannehill huh...the single reason the jets lost tonight was the qb...hell he should have thrown 6 picks...where's the final word on geno smith...I'm sure you buried it with all your other misses...

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Looked to me like Geno Smith got screwed by the OC calling a timeout right in the midst of him throwing an exceptional TD pass that would've tied the game.

He needs to cut down on the turnovers, but so does Ryan Tannehill.

I said last year Geno Smith would be better than Ryan Tannehill. Geno was throwing to guys that couldn't even play in the NFL last year like Stephen Hill.

These Jet/Dolphin quarterback discussions can't be had on these boards with any semblence of rationality. It's just a contest over who can slander the other one's quarterback the most. My personal opinion is that I'll take Geno over Tannehill fairly easy.

:lol: what a ****ing joke

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: geno over tannehill huh...the single reason the jets lost tonight was the qb...hell he should have thrown 6 picks...where's the final word on geno smith...I'm sure you buried it with all your other misses...

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

:lol: what a ****ing joke

I have no idea where Geno Smith is throwing the football sometimes, but I'd easily take him over Tannehill.

Geno has a much better feel for pressure and extends plays with his legs, unlike Tannehill. Which gives his poor group of receivers a chance to get open and create explosive plays downfield. He makes mistakes, but he makes throws every series of every game that Ryan Tannehill won't even attempt.

Furthermore, Tannehill just exchanges all those dropped INT's for sacks. Because he holds the ball while Geno turns it loose. One is trying to be a playmaker while the other doesn't know what he's trying to do.

I know your a** was drawed up watching him take his offense down the field for what would've been a game tying touchdown in case of a successful 2 pt. conversion.

You must be liquored up again and wanting to run that mouth tonight. The joke is all that ridiculous nonsense in that quote that shows up everytime you post. :lol:

Geno took a bad sack in the red zone also...but I didn't feel like piling on :lol:

Geno took a bad sack in the red zone also...but I didn't feel like piling on :lol:

Tannehill isn't accurate enough to have all those dropped INT's. He knows it too. That's why he'd rather set team records for sacks.

Tom Brady and Andrew Luck must be getting benched this week...

Geno was the single reason why the jets lost...period

He's not the single reason but he was one of em. The other reason was because Kyle Fuller is a stud. Go dig up all my pre draft evaluation on him too and see...

Tannehill is one of the biggest reasons why Miami has lost almost their last half dozen games. Moreno won him the season opener.

We may have to just refer to the Jets/Dolphins matchups this year as "The Driskelhill Bowl presented by Geno's Myth" if Tannehill isn't pulling splinters out of his a** from riding the bench first.

Geno looked like 2013 Tannehill last night.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

He's not the single reason but he was one of em. The other reason was because Kyle Fuller is a stud. Go dig up all my pre draft evaluation on him too and see...

Tannehill is one of the biggest reasons why Miami has lost almost their last half dozen games. Moreno won him the season opener.

We may have to just refer to the Jets/Dolphins matchups this year as "The Driskelhill Bowl presented by Geno's Myth" if Tannehill isn't pulling splinters out of his a** from riding the bench first.

and another TD was robbed from the Jets on an awful call and an awful PI which should have been on the offense was called against the Jets setting up 1st and G for Chi's first TD. That's a 2 TD swing right there. Geno was good and bad last night, he's still developing. Didn't help to lose Decker again either but no excuse to throw that INT in the EZ though it didn't really hurt them as they got the ball right back deep in Chi territory.

Geno is improving. I don't know how anyone can watch the recent games and be in denial of that. He senses pressure and uses a variety of moves to create an opening and a dangerous situation. Tannehill can't do any of that. The problem is Geno doesn't always capitalize on the opportunity. He's learning to vary his pace and loft but doesn't always choose the correct combo. You can't make mistakes in that regard with that Fuller kid back there. He burned the Canes and specifically Stephen Morris for years. I'm glad he's gone, and that his younger brother makes considerably more mistakes, at least right now.

Geno still is touchdown challenged in key situations. That game unfolded poorly for the Jets based on the terrible pass interference call that set up the second touchdown, and the quick whistle that robbed a defensive touchdown before halftime. Those two plays forced the Jets to come from multiple scores behind. Geno is not on that level right now. Obviously the first Bears touchdown was his doing alone.

You always look for hints. Geno put up 21 points in the first three drives at Green Bay. It was one short touchdown drive after a turnover and then consecutive drives of 80+ yards. That's the type of thing I've been waiting for from Tannehill. Makes zero sense that we don't have games at the high end of the unlikely scale instead of everything needed to be adjusted upward. The Jets lost that game with a touchdown nullified by a self inflicted time out, among other problems. But the 21 points on the road as huge underdog is 8 more points than Ryan Tannehill has managed in the first half of three games combined.

Furthermore, Tannehill just exchanges all those dropped INT's for sacks. Because he holds the ball while Geno turns it loose. One is trying to be a playmaker while the other doesn't know what he's trying to do.

Slimm, I love your stuff, but Geno's been sacked on a higher frequency of dropbacks over his career than Ryan Tannehill.

He's not trading interceptions for sacks, he's just throwing more interceptions.

Slimm, I love your stuff, but Geno's been sacked on a higher frequency of dropbacks over his career than Ryan Tannehill.

He's not trading interceptions for sacks, he's just throwing more interceptions.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Geno really doesn't get sacked at a higher frequency... they both average a sack roughly every 11 attempts over their careers. The difference is that Geno scores touchdowns and points at a higher frequency than Tannehill.

As I mentioned previously through the first 18 starts of their careers, one needs to cut down on turnovers. The other needs to cut down on turnovers AND increase output offensively. You have to understand I'm completely unbiased when it comes to the NFL. These are simply statistical facts.

geno may not get sacked more i just know he also is way more likely to go thru one progression and take off...and the more they put the ball in his hands the worse the results are...there has been some improvement but it's mainly along the lines of bugging out quickly instead of standing in the pocket like a deer in headlights...he's taking off more now...

still he's a problem more than he is a solution...you can call him a playmaker but he makes as many plays for the opposition as he does his own

Last edited by a moderator:
I always pegged you for a fraud. Now it's official.

LOL. Well good for you. Pardon me for failing to be a paranoid simpleton who believes they have to express frothing hatred toward the Jets to fit in around here.

The Jets have been my second favorite team since early 1969, when I attended the Jets/Colts Super Bowl as a kid. Believe it or not the entire city of Miami rooted for the Jets in that game. There was immense AFL pride. It felt like everybody won. Prior to that game we were technically a pro football team but it really didn't feel that way. The AFL was the second class upstart league that had been pushed around in the first two Super Bowls.

There was celebration in school in Miami after the Jets victory. I was in elementary school. Everybody was pretending to be Joe Namath during physical education. The appreciation for the Jets lasted many years. Heck, I remember when Al Woodall won a huge game as road underdog when Namath was hurt. The following week all the kids wanted to be Al Woodall.

The Colts were our hated rivals in those days. I still have no idea when it turned toward the Jets. Must have been when I was away at college. Regardless, I'm not going to apologize for embracing my roots and not happy adjusting my preferences. I'm still a bigger fan of the Canes even though I'm a USC alum.

BTW, I also don't care for stupid abbreviations like Fins or Phins. Those didn't exist in the early days and shouldn't exist today. Kudos to John Congemi for always saying Miami Dolphins in full.

I seem to remember mentioning that I like the Jets at least a dozen times on this site. Maybe you were asleep or happy adjusting something.

If we are coming out of the closet I'll go next. I remember rooting for the Jets when I was young. Don't remember the colts jets super bowl but after that I like Joe Namath and George sauer. Probably cuz the won the Super Bowl and were underdogs. I have always like the underdogs.

My 1st Super Bowl I watched was Dallas vs Miami. After that I was a Dolphin fan for life. The jets are not my second favorite team since then. LOL

I've been around for awhile also...my dad and I watched the Dolphins play their first game can't believe its been almost 50 years.

Never liked the Jets...they were always bottom of the division but gave us fits when we played. Miss the colts being in our division.

Back
Top Bottom