Having seen what wins championships today, do you see that foundation here? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Having seen what wins championships today, do you see that foundation here?

Russell Wilson made just about every critical play.

There was a point in the relatively early in the second half where Seattle didn't have to throw the ball again for the entire game. But they trusted Wilson to continue to grow the lead, and we saw why Denver's Pass D was a liability all season. People undersold Wilson's performance against SF - largely because he had the fumble on the first play.

Again, given the stage and the opponent, this defensive performance was at least as impressive as any that I've ever seen. Denver's offensive unit was historic. People projected that they had the size and athleticism at WR to give Seattle a run for their money - along of course with the QB authoring what most agreed was the best season in NFL history. Seattle broke their will; Seattle was like a fighter cutting off his opponent's angles. Not only did they stop a historic offense, they outscored it - with their D alone. They terrorized them. Every Denver first down was contested tooth and nail, and the amount of pressure required too much precision from (what was seen to be) the most precise offense in league history. They couldn't hold on to the ball. It was a back-alley mugging.

For me, that SB was as good as it gets. For all the, 'I wanted a close game,' folks, learn to appreciate a brilliant performance. Seriously. If you knew what you were watching, the game was everything you can ask for. Both teams came out with an edge; both teams came out focused; Seattle just broke Denver. I've maintained throughout the season that the two best teams in the NFL are Seattle and SF. Two teams with "overrated" QB's - as this site loves to proclaim. Where, now, are all the people ****-talking Kaepernick's performance against Seattle? He kept his team in that game. He had an answer for that historic D. The Broncos cowered.

Todays game showed you that no matter who your qb is that's not a guarantee that you win a superbowl. Carrol for as slimey as he is is a helluva coach. Who cares if 80 percent of his team has somehow been diagnosed with ADD and has a prescription lol

I was glad that Wilson hit some key passes during the second half, otherwise there would have been the predictable nonsense here that Wilson did nothing and was carried by his team.

This is still true. If you can't see it, it only confirms what we already know. Think about what you wrote..... he hit some key passes in the second half...... AFTER the game was already 29-0. After they had scored on defense, and special teams. After they had to settle for FGs in the first half. After Denver was done. There was zero pressure on Wilson the entire game. Keep living your fantasy.

This is still true. If you can't see it, it only confirms what we already know. Think about what you wrote..... he hit some key passes in the second half...... AFTER the game was already 29-0. After they had scored on defense, and special teams. After they had to settle for FGs in the first half. After Denver was done. There was zero pressure on Wilson the entire game. Keep living your fantasy.

Dude, get a life. Wilson made clutch throw after clutch throw throughout the first half. Let me guess, you had the Broncos winning this game.

I was marveling at Seattle's secondary and thinking that we have Reshad Jones out there. If that's not worth a seizure of laughter I don't know what is.

That was gorgeous football. My favorite games are when the receivers are punished. Denver's top receivers didn't even want to turn upfield today. The Canes have been on the other end of that a few times, notably against Penn State in '86 and Alabama in '92 for the titles in both years, but I still love those games.

Seattle richly deserved this. They steal the vital 2-10% in all categories, beginning with the brilliantly designed stadium. They have great people in the key roles like owner, coach and general manager. We have clods or mediocrities, although I'll give Hickey the benefit of a doubt.

Tannehill is not close to Wilson. That was true throughout their college careers and it's carried over to the NFL. We have a happy projection and the Seahawks have a trophy. I was glad that Wilson hit some key passes during the second half, otherwise there would have been the predictable nonsense here that Wilson did nothing and was carried by his team.

I still don't think fans realize how good New Orleans was this year. That was a huge test for Seattle right off the bat. If they hadn't managed the big lead early, thanks partly due to a lost fumble, I'm not sure they escape that game, against a team with a +1.6 YPPA Differential and an excellent pass defense. Today was like cupcakes for Wilson with the bootleg plays, after both the Saints and 49ers had taken them completely away.
That's because our idiot GM passed on Earl Thomas when we needed a safety to get Odrick and Misi. A horrible decision. I almost threw my TV out the window.

We'll never be what the Seahawks are which is a shame because I love that style. It seems clear to me we're trying to emulate the Patriots style and even though Tannehill is nowhere near as good as Brady he doesn't have to be, when Brady won his championships it was the special players on defense that made the difference for them. I think we're closer than people here think if Tannehill steps up and if some of our draft picks from the past few drafts can break out. On defense Grimes and Wake are special and if one or two out of Jordan, Vernon, Jenkins or one of the CBs can be special then all we need is a great safety or a great LB and we have a championship caliber defense.

Having said that what we need to do is kill it in the regular season, especially before December because we'll probably need home field advantage and the bye to get there.

There are a lot of great points in this thread. But not so shockingly, everyone is right in part.

There is not one single element that makes a Super Bowl champion: player, coach, FO, owner, stadium or fan base. It takes all of them working together. And then, even then, a single botched play, injury, bad call or bad day can derail and entire season.

During the build up to the Super Bowl each year you see stories about the players, coaches, team and such that try to romantically predict why this team, player or organization will win the Super Bowl or has had an elite year. Going out to buy Peyton Manning, making the most roster moves in the past couple of years, a "rah rah" coach, heartbreaking stories about this player and that player..... they all mislead fans to understand what truly makes a team a winner and a champion.

There are so many great teams that never get to the Super Bowl. And many have the same qualities of those that do make it. But an injury or uncontrollable circumstance derails them. But the one thing they all have in common: a unified organization.

From the fans, to the players, to the coaches, to the FO and finally with the owner.... the entire team has a singular vision. And every effort goes into achieving that vision. It's not about picking apart your team's QB or blaming the coaches or front office or this player or that player. It's about a unique moment created by a lot of hard work and belief in the team. That is the best any organization can do to prepare itself for winning. Then, they play the game. And if the players and coaches survive the season and find a way to win despite every obstacle and misfortune, the find themselves in the playoffs. For most, their vision and unity ends here. They've proven they are winners but not the best.

Each week, a better QB, HC, FO or Owner might lose. But the better team wins. Regardless how fluky or dominant the victory, the team earned the right to play in the game because of the team and all of it's pieces.

By the time you get to the Super Bowl, you realize that each team's road was different. But it's the entire team and organization that stands out. It starts to become clear it's not just Peyton or Elway or Wilson or Carroll.... it's every single person and piece that has gotten them this far.

To be one of those teams, you can't just replace one of your players with one of theirs and say "see, we could do that too". No, it doesn't work that way.

The reason we can't truly knock off the Patriots, win the division consistently or get to the playoffs is not Player X's or Coach Y's fault. Even with a Motley Crue of personnel, the Patriots still get to AFC Championship games. Yes, they have Brady and Belichick. But they also have an owner, front office and organization with a singular vision. That vision puts their team into position to win.

Yes, they eventually lose to superior teams, but when you are consistently in the AFC Championship game year after year with a multitude of different faces year in and year out its more than just Brady and Belichick. Its an organization.

The Seahawks have the best team in football. But next year, they may not. Just as some ex-players have said leading up to the Super Bowl, once some of the Seahawks players become seasoned vets who have been to the Super Bowl Carroll's "rah rah" approach may stop working.

It takes a magical combination to reach the Super Bowl. And every year a new set of circumstances allow another team the chance to win with their organization's approach and efforts. But one thing is clear, to sustain success you have to have the same basic foundation and consistency from top to bottom. Sustained success is something to behold.

We spend too much time churning over coaches, front office and worrying about picking apart our team. It's obvious we don't have the right stuff at the core of this organization. A passionate owner is nice to have, but passion can be misplaced and it is not a substitute for savvy experience and actual knowledge that can be applied to your team.

Our owner constantly seeks council with ex-players, ex-coaches and ex-front office types. How can we, as an organization, be decisive, confident and coordinated when our owner has to leave the room and phone a friend to figure out how to run this team on a daily, weekly or yearly basis?

We can't. Every time you watch a Super Bowl look at ownership. It starts there. A great owner surrounds himself with respect individuals at each level in the organization. BUT he leads them with his vision. When that collection of people has leadership, resources and unification, they win championships.

Nit pick about Tannehill, Philbin, Player X, Player Y and on and on and on, we will not move forward as an organization until we have respected football people at every level of this organization who are working together for the betterment of the 53 men on the field instead of their own personnel career path.

Our problems are at the most fundamental levels. One player or one coach isn't gonna change that fact.

Strong running game and tough physical defense.

We have neither. Coyle runs a finesse 'bend don't break' defense, and our zone offense is finesse. This team isn't even 1/10th as physical as Seattle.

We don't play with their passion either. We aren't exactly an old team either.

Yet they're 1-0 vs this physical team.

While the 'physical nature' of Seattle is important, IMO, it's the intelligence aspect that leads to that secondary dominating games.
The perfect example was that play where Welker was running across the field and when the ball was already in the air, a Seattle defender left the guy he was covering and moved to just crush Welker as the ball was getting there. Any DB would love to crush guys, but being at the right place at the time time facilitates that. Seattle's DBs (and LBs, don't forget how good their LBs are in pass coverage too) always seem to be running downhill at receivers catching or nearly catching the ball in front of them.
There have been lots of teams, historically, that had very talented DBs but still gave up yardage and points to varying degrees. Seattle's scheme, and the intelligence and understanding their players have of that scheme is what just crushes opposing offenses. Also, it reduces the effort level of the opposing offense as the game goes on. Receivers stop going 100% and become that much easier to cover.

I actually don't think Coyle's scheme, on its face, is that bad. However, our linebackers blow and we still don't get anywhere near enough pressure on the QB on a consistent basis. We have to over-commit to stop the pass (and we telegraph our blitzes) and that weakens our run defense. We need better LBs, another quality DE (sorry, but Vernon was master of the 'coverage sack').
I'm curious to see how our 2013 draft class (Taylor and Davis) step up in 2014. Not only that, but that kid was signed from San Fran's practice squad (who made 2 game-saving plays vs New England, one of which was just flat-out sick), Michael Thomas, could really be a good player at FS or other DB spots. Plus, I'd love to see if Don Jones athleticism and toughness can translate to a strong safety position.

One point was made last night that really stuck out to me. Pete Carroll is enthusiastic all the time. He`s jumping around at practice etc and it reflects on his team, they play with enthusiasm, they are excited, pumped!

A team is a reflection of it`s coach. With Philbin this team looks like they are ready to sit and read a book!

And another thing, I loved the fact that the Seahawks D dominated the Broncos record setting offence. Defence wins championships, period!

My opinion, especially in light of how their GM constructed that team....

Is that it's not a matter of personnel as much as it is a matter of coaching...

and Philbin will NEVER be the type of coach that Carrol is, and Coyle as well shows no signs of being able to scheme as

effectively with the personnel that he has as the Seahawks have all season long.

I think Philbin might be able to coach a team to the superbowl but it will be completely different than the way the seahawks did it.

If he has superior talent then Philbin MIGHT be able to get it done, great coaches win with the players on their rosters.

As soon as a coach starts to mention the quality of his players as a reason why he can't get it done then it's just a matter of time before he is working somewhere else

My opinion, especially in light of how their GM constructed that team....

Is that it's not a matter of personnel as much as it is a matter of coaching...

and Philbin will NEVER be the type of coach that Carrol is, and Coyle as well shows no signs of being able to scheme as

effectively with the personnel that he has as the Seahawks have all season long.

I think Philbin might be able to coach a team to the superbowl but it will be completely different than the way the seahawks did it.

If he has superior talent then Philbin MIGHT be able to get it done, great coaches win with the players on their rosters.

As soon as a coach starts to mention the quality of his players as a reason why he can't get it done then it's just a matter of time before he is working somewhere else
What have you seen from Philbin, that makes you think he can be an Super Bowl coach?

He threw for more TDs than Peyton Manning threw. Explain that if he did nothing.

Peyton only threw for one? That was easy.

Its funny how people always try and compare QBs head to head as if Wilson was the one guarding Peyton Mannings receivers. Idc if Wilson threw for 6 touchdowns there are literally 15 guys who could've played QB for Seattle last night and won....and im a fan of Wilson.

If you put Peyton on Seattle and Russ on Denver the score might've been 60 to 6.

Peyton only threw for one? That was easy.

Its funny how people always try and compare QBs head to head as if Wilson was the one guarding Peyton Mannings receivers. Idc if Wilson threw for 6 touchdowns there are literally 15 guys who could've played QB for Seattle last night and won....and im a fan of Wilson.

If you put Peyton on Seattle and Russ on Denver the score might've been 60 to 6.

He was being sarcastic bro.

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom