Henning Finally admits lack of speed | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Henning Finally admits lack of speed

If Dan Henning is still here next season, I take a year away from the NFL and start working on Sunday's. I can't deal with it no more . . . the guy is an idiot. And if Sparano leaves, I wouldn't ***** about that either.

Tom Landry started out with Dallas and didn’t have a winning season for seven years, and then had 20 straight,” Henning said. “And Chuck Noll [a former Chargers assistant when Henning was a player there] … he started out [12-30]. And Bill Walsh went to the San Francisco 49ers and he started out [8-24].
“Before Bill Belichick won his first Super Bowl, he was [42-56] in Cleveland and New England. Those are four of the top coaches in my lifetime in the NFL, not to mention my buddy Bill [Parcells] who started out 3-12-1 with the Giants and then ended up winning two Super Bowls there.
“I think the evaluation has to come from somebody who wants to see what kind of management you have, what kind of personnel skills you have and all that type of thing. I really believe our guy here, Tony, has those skills. I really believe that. I wouldn’t have come here in the first place if I hadn’t thought that when I started, and he’s convinced me of it.

That's actually the ONLY sane thing this guy as said all season. It does take time. It does take more than 3 seasons. Especially when the team you start coaching is coming off of a 1-15 season with absolutely nothing more than old greats who have lost a step and crap.

Henning can no longer play call in this league because he thinks it's still 1972. However, I think Sparano should get his 5 years.

After three years, Tony Sparano still can't figure out how to conserve timeouts in the second half. He still can't figure out how to manage the clock. He still thinks that throwing a hail mary WHEN YOU ARE DOWN THREE POINTS WITH THREE SECONDS TO GO is a bad idea because, get this, the other team might intercept it and run it back for a touchdown!

And you want to give this guy two more years of rope to hang himself with?

What does the guy bring to the table that tells you he's a good coach? The ability to fire his assistant coaches when their units implode? Lol.

Bill Belichick: 3 Super Bowl rings this decade.
Tony Sparano: 3 toy rings from Crackerjack boxes this decade.

I'm sure if Bill got fired tomorrow and publicly expressed his desire to come coach the Dolphins for free just to spite Bob Kraft, you would still want to give Tony two more years of fistpumps.

sounds like henning is blaming the players.

Shocking concept, huh?

I should find it difficult to believe people are actually bickering over the causes and "who's at fault" as our coaching staff comes out with weekly excuses...sadly, i dont.

I'll ignore the players arent executing crap we heard at the beginning of the year, skip of how it was then Henne's fault, pass by the week they declaring we weren't blocking at the second level, and merely chuckle at the new "we need speed" excuse. If we lose to Detriot, i imagine the excuses will get quite colorful.

Bill Belicheck: 5 years as a head coach with Browns, fired. hired in NE as assistant. then went towo years with parcells to the jests. Then in his second year with the Pats started winning as a head coach.

So, it took BB 7 years as a HC to win one. And he hasn't won one in 6 years since his last one.

Let's keep comparing Sparano to Belichick.

Belichick: Stopped hiring/promoting offensive coordinators because they keep getting hired as head coaches by other teams.
Sparano: Publicly stated that he wants to keep Dan Henning.

No, keep going. You picked a great coach for comparison.

Bill Belicheck: 5 years as a head coach with Browns, fired. hired in NE as assistant. then went towo years with parcells to the jests. Then in his second year with the Pats started winning as a head coach.

So, it took BB 7 years as a HC to win one. And he hasn't won one in 6 years since his last one.

But it is possible to gain knowledge and insight as you gain more experience as a coach, so yea Belichec failed in cleveland but as he gained more knowledge he figured it out and now is a great coach, and it's not just because he has brady beacuse when brady was hurt he went 11-5 with Mat Cassell. He's playing with a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players and is dominant this year.

Bottom line is that lack of speed has nothing to do with lack of execution.

In order to succeed, we need to run the football.
Running the football is something that is a product of execution. The other team knows you are going to run the football, and it is up to simple individual matchups to either create holes or get beat.

Over the years, our mentality (and that of every good offense and team) was "you know what we are going to do, now its up to you to stop it".

Well, this year they stopped it. The holes closed up, and our running game along with our offense sputtered.

Sure, speed helps in certain aspects. But if you can't execute, what good is speed?

All the time you see teams have that "deep threat" receiver, that speed guy that stretches the field that everybody on this forum seems to covet.

Personally, that speed guy is at the bottom of the list of any offenses agenda.

If you don't execute in the trenches, you have no time to get that "deep threat" the ball.
If you don't execute in the trenches, you have no running game.
If you don't execute in the trenches, your quarterbacks get killed.

There are most certainly issues in our offense, but "team speed" is a term that gets tossed around that doesn't have much to do with things.
In the college game when you watch a power house play a div II squad and you can clearly see that athletically, one team just simply can't compete, that's where team speed is an issue.

In the pro game, every body is fast. It's a matter of execution (no matter how crappy our gameplan is).

Maybe he was talking about Meth?? ... get you know who's mind racing a bit.

Exactly. I'm not comparing Sparano to Belichick. I'm pointing out that even the greatest of coaches need time to figure out the job. :)

Except most of them coaches took over real bad teams. Before there where free agents to build a team with. In the 60's 70's, and 80's there was plan B which if i recall was like the waver wire now. All them teams had to be constructed though the draft, which in them days took 5 years to field a playoff caliber team.

Earlier, Henning made it clear this team doesn’t have enough speed on either side of the ball, but especially on offensive.

“We need speed,” Henning said. “We need people who can take it to the house, whether it’s on our own 10 or the other 10, for that matter. … We’re missing dynamics.”
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...ning-on-green-carpet-and-graham-crackers.html

On D-fense, i would say we could use some more speed in two areas

1) Another LB/Pass Rusher
2) Perhaps 1 CB

But the true Lack of speed is glaringly on Offense IMO in this order

1)WR- I'm not even gonna mention the Ginn thing! Look how not having a burner condenses the field.
He talks about team playing defense to not give up the deep ball, but yet a poster mention you look at someone like desean jackson always seeming to make plays deep, do those defenses not also play to prevent the deep ball?

2)TE
3)RB

We better draft 95% on offense.

Henning is a stubborn, arrogant piece of ****. He hasn't taken responsibility for anything.
He is ****ing sent from the heavens to bless us all with an awesome offense but he is restricted by speed?
Yeah ok, he needs to stfu.
What a year when Brandon Marshall is a more mature individual than an 80 yr old moron.

Well why were they so eager to get rid of Ginn? It should not have been a surprise that Marshall doesn't have speed (and they knew what they had in Bess, Hartline, Fasano..)
Please send Henning back to his rocking chair and mint juleps on North Carolina porch.

Well why were they so eager to get rid of Ginn? It should not have been a surprise that Marshall doesn't have speed (and they knew what they had in Bess, Hartline, Fasano..)
Please send Henning back to his rocking chair and mint juleps on North Carolina porch.

well Tony did say he was going back to look at tape of how Denver used BM. one of the dumbest things Ive ever read on here.

Henning and Morono both blame the players...

Blame everyone else except themselves...It's freaking pathetic.

Henning needs to stop blaming the players and man up and admit his lack of play-calling ability.

We need speed? Why? So you can run your ol' end around you sly dog Henning!

when we ran the end around int the 3rd quarter to moore, I kept thinking of this post... that sly dog pulled it out again

Back
Top Bottom