Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle

I dont really care what he runs, he isnt that kind of QB. I do know he can make every throw on the field, including deep outs.

Alot of the shorter passing game was brought to Bama by Sarkisian, if you want to see film of Tua throwing it more vertical, you gotta look back to the 2018 season.

Im not sure why we are still having this discussion, but whatever. We will see soon enough.

Ummm no, he definitely can't make every throw deep outs and even his quick outs the trajectory on those balls are less than optimal, he puts way too much air under them, Tua's weak arm strength has been common knowledge in the NFL draft scouting community, There is thread on Finheaven where I talk about his lack of arm strength and I posted vids also and there was no rebuttals to any of the evidence. There is a possibility his arm strength has improved based on reports during camp but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Same guy who mths ago was raving about Tua and was saying he was the best out of Tua, Herbert and Burrow. Yeah ok.

I'd say you have average deep ball arm strength if you can throw it about 60 yards meaning in game situations they're in the 50 yard range in air, elite arm talent can throw it about 70 yards so 60 yards in game situations. The one time I saw the ball travel 50 yards in air with Tua he had to put his whole body in it, it's no secret Tua's arm strength is below average especially from a ball velocity standpoint. Josh Allen claims he can throw the ball 80 yards, Herbert can throw it 70+ plus which is probably the reason he's so accurate on deep balls this year, you have so much control over the ball when you only have to put 75 percent into a 60 yard throw.

and yet the WR had to break stride at around the 12 yard line

A lot BS comes out of Cowherds mouth... but you’d have to be delusional to act like he doesn’t have a point...

All we can do is hope that Tua is also the exception

Ummm no, he definitely can't make every throw deep outs and even his quick outs the trajectory on those balls are less than optimal, he puts way too much air under them, Tua's weak arm strength has been common knowledge in the NFL draft scouting community, There is thread on Finheaven where I talk about his lack of arm strength and I posted vids also and there was no rebuttals to any of the evidence. There is a possibility his arm strength has improved based on reports during camp but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
Tua does not have elite arm strength, like Josh Allen or Justin Herbert, but I do not see it as an issue. He has an NFL arm. I don't see him having any less velocity on his throws than Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady for example.

and yet the WR had to break stride at around the 12 yard line
That's not a rebebuttel to the the post. That's just "whataboutism".

Even Tua's biggest proponents among knowledgeable football ppl acknowledge that he doesn't have "elite" arm strength. His best arm attributes are quick release, accuracy, and touch when required. There is no cannon there though.

That's not a rebebuttel to the the post. That's just "whataboutism".

Even Tua's biggest proponents among knowledgeable football ppl acknowledge that he doesn't have "elite" arm strength. His best arm attributes are quick release, accuracy, and touch when required. There is no cannon there though.
Remember though, no one is saying Tua has a cannon, we are just saying he can make all the throws. Honestly, if the knock is he cant throw it as far as Josh Allen, who cares? How often is a QB asked to throw the ball 80 air yards down field?

A deep pass in the NFL is considered what? 20+ yards? FFS, no one is running 50 yard deep outs. Tua can reliably hit a guy with 50 air yards, I have no doubts about that.

Remember though, no one is saying Tua has a cannon, we are just saying he can make all the throws. Honestly, if the knock is he cant throw it as far as Josh Allen, who cares? How often is a QB asked to throw the ball 80 air yards down field?

A deep pass in the NFL is considered what? 20+ yards? FFS, no one is running 50 yard deep outs. Tua can reliably hit a guy with 50 air yards, I have no doubts about that.
I agree, and no one was saying he had a noodle arm, but his arm, relatively speaking, is not far above average, if at all.

He is going to earn his place with reads, anticipation, and accuracy. There's nothing wrong with that. Guys like Brady and Montana didn't wow you with 30 yd lasers, but the recievers got the ball in stride, with no one around them.

That's a surgical pocket passer, and if you have one, and can keep him upright, the sky is the limit.

I agree, and no one was saying he had a noodle arm, but his arm, relatively speaking, is not far above average, if at all.

He is going to earn his place with reads, anticipation, and accuracy. There's nothing wrong with that. Guys like Brady and Montana didn't wow you with 30 yd lasers, but the recievers got the ball in stride, with no one around them.

That's a surgical pocket passer, and if you have one, and can keep him upright, the sky is the limit.
I agree.

I just felt a statement that Tua couldnt throw on the run, hit deep outs, quick outs, or throw outside the numbers, was inaccurate.

I remember Dan Marino saying back in the day how distance throwing was overrated but arm strength is not. “OJ McDuffie can throw it 70 yards but he can’t play QB” was what I believe he said. Lol.

Look, Tua’s arm is plenty fine. Do a quick Google of his deep ball to Jeudy last year that he throws from exactly the 50 and it lands in Jeudy’s arms at the goal line in stride. It’s a smooth throw, no heave or excessive air under it. The kid can sling it just fine.

I agree.

I just felt a statement that Tua couldnt throw on the run, hit deep outs, quick outs, or throw outside the numbers, was inaccurate.
Actually, I think throwing on the run is a strength. He is quick about squaring, and setting his feet most of the time.

Well I certainly prefer big , strong , mobile and cannon for an arm and I think it’s much easier for those guys to transition into the NFL. That being said I think Tua will do just fine.

Tua's arm strength is over the bar as far as what the NFL requires.

His IQ is his biggest strength, decision making, ball placement...all elite.

Let the man do what he do. Cowherd is wrong just as often as he's right.

Give my a precise accurate thrower over a guy with a cannon anyway.
Biggest criticism guys with big arms receive is they're typically not nearly as accurate. Look at Josh Allen...Jay Cutler is if you look little further back.

Those guys were considered to have huge arms but both are highly inaccurate at times.

Is it nice to have a qb that can fire it 60 yards downfield? Absolutely. Big arm can also be a big advantage when playing in bad weather conditions.

But i feel like a lot most successful QBs nowadays have elite accuracy and quick release as their strengths vs pure ability to throw far.

Back
Top Bottom