Here’s A Question: | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here’s A Question:

multistage

Club Member
Reaction score
We have a new coach. We have no real option at QB. Our O is awful, D isn’t any better.

We know all this. All too well.

And we are tanking. The team says this, the beat reporters say this. Frankly, I doubt we have any real choice.

So....come next season, considering all of the above, how long before everybody starts screaming for heads to roll?

Or, since we have been forewarned, is everybody going to shrug when we are (once again) terrible and say, “Well, we knew it was coming. What did we expect?”

It will be basically,like watching practice all year,next year.

I mean, I guess we'll have to see how the roster shakes out. But people thought last year's roster would be competitive so....

I'm ready for a new GM and a HC right now. I say fire them now before we waste more time!

It will be nice to see routes that are run past the sticks.

You know what else would be awesome is if Flores comes in and is one of the coaches who doesn’t believe in punting except in rare situations. 4th down, go for it lol.

I’m all about the draft and roster building. If I’m happy with the moves I’ll be patient. If we have a WTF offseason I’ll probably be a tad obnoxious.

I think you can effectively tank just by not getting a legit QB. That being said, I also think we can add talent to the roster and still not be very good. QB affects the success more than anyone. We can grab someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod or RG3 (inconsistent) and still fill out the roster with young FA's and draft picks. Get the trenches fortified and have the team ready (readier) to roll once we draft the QB. That's when you can afford to move up and give up future picks. Get that running game working so you are not relying on your rookie QB to bail you out year 1 and 2.

It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to purge ALL the talent and then draft a QB next year and then have a crap team around a rookie QB. You waste his prime rookie contract years while you build a team? Get him killed by a crap OL? Make him sling 50 times a game because the defense cannot get off the field? NO.

You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players.

Sign some building blocks in FA that are young and won't break the bank. We are going to end up with 60-80 mil in cap space so get a head start. Time to identify some up and coming FA talent FOR ONCE.

It will be nice to see routes that are run past the sticks.

Agree. Both Philbin and Gase loved this short pass based offense, but I hated it. It didn't work for Philbin, so I can't understand why Ross hired Gase who wanted to run the same thing! I'd also like to see them run on 3rd and short and pass on 2nd and 20, unlike Gase who preferred the opposite.

I think you can effectively tank just by not getting a legit QB. That being said, I also think we can add talent to the roster and still not be very good. QB affects the success more than anyone. We can grab someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod or RG3 (inconsistent) and still fill out the roster with young FA's and draft picks. Get the trenches fortified and have the team ready (readier) to roll once we draft the QB. That's when you can afford to move up and give up future picks. Get that running game working so you are not relying on your rookie QB to bail you out year 1 and 2.

It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to purge ALL the talent and then draft a QB next year and then have a crap team around a rookie QB. You waste his prime rookie contract years while you build a team? Get him killed by a crap OL? Make him sling 50 times a game because the defense cannot get off the field? NO.

You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players.

Sign some building blocks in FA that are young and won't break the bank. We are going to end up with 60-80 mil in cap space so get a head start. Time to identify some up and coming FA talent FOR ONCE.

Agree 100%

First, there seems to be an unrealistic view of 'tank.' Some seem to have this delusion Miami will bring back Tunsil, Fitz, maybe X, and 50 other guys will be new faces. Most of us know better, which is why I started the 'roster triage' thread. We can debate whether there will be 20-30 new faces, but not 50.

I don't think Miami will have 50 new guys who don't belong in the NFL just to get 1-2 wins. If that were the case, they'd trade away all '19 picks for '20 picks. I don't see that. Don't want to accidentally get a guy who can help win games. That's why I'm uncomfortable with 'tank.'

"You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players." I agree here though I'd tweak it to 'aging low contribution players.' I won't be surprised if they keep Sitton/Jones. I'm not saying they WILL, but they may. Depends on if this is a true minimum-number-of-returnees season or get-rid-of-dead-wood season. Though, if I were in true tank mode, I'd go with Falk and see what happens.

Agree 100%

First, there seems to be an unrealistic view of 'tank.' Some seem to have this delusion Miami will bring back Tunsil, Fitz, maybe X, and 50 other guys will be new faces. Most of us know better, which is why I started the 'roster triage' thread. We can debate whether there will be 20-30 new faces, but not 50.

I don't think Miami will have 50 new guys who don't belong in the NFL just to get 1-2 wins. If that were the case, they'd trade away all '19 picks for '20 picks. I don't see that. Don't want to accidentally get a guy who can help win games. That's why I'm uncomfortable with 'tank.'

"You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players." I agree here though I'd tweak it to 'aging low contribution players.' I won't be surprised if they keep Sitton/Jones. I'm not saying they WILL, but they may. Depends on if this is a true minimum-number-of-returnees season or get-rid-of-dead-wood season. Though, if I were in true tank mode, I'd go with Falk and see what happens.

I just don't understand it. First off....Armando claiming that the word "tank" was actually used in coaching interviews. Not sure I buy that. If true, I am not optimistic about the future. We just gonna ropa-a-dope for a year? Not. Can't wait for FA!

We have a new coach. We have no real option at QB. Our O is awful, D isn’t any better.

We know all this. All too well.

And we are tanking. The team says this, the beat reporters say this. Frankly, I doubt we have any real choice.

So....come next season, considering all of the above, how long before everybody starts screaming for heads to roll?

Or, since we have been forewarned, is everybody going to shrug when we are (once again) terrible and say, “Well, we knew it was coming. What did we expect?”

No folks will find things and call for heads to roll. They will site effort, lack of a plan, whatever they can. A few SUPER SMART fans will openly be happy and root against the team but plenty will be upset if we suck even when we expect to suck. I wouldn't be surprised if folks are calling for the backup QB if the starter sucks even though we supposedly want the starter to suck. During games beers will flow and the site WILL NOT sit back and think, "well I expected us to lose." If the tank works by the end of the year many will want Flores fired, mark my words.

Personally if Flores is a good coach and we play good fundamental, team oriented, physical football and take care of the ball on offense (pretty much boring conservative football) we'll be mediocre again. There are too many mistake prone teams in the NFL regardless of talent that if you can avoid being one we'll win to many games. I see between 5-11 and 8-8 more likely than 0-16 - 4-12, we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom