Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball.

Josh Allen has to be play hero ball for Bills to compete.

Jalen Ramsey in Miami will only amplify that more.

He’s not going to sit in that pocket long.

Agree. The addition of Long, development of Tindall, & Holland getting back to 2021 form will also make things shall we say trickier on beefalo's offense

Josh Allen has to play this style for the Bills to win. Unfortunately for Buffalo this playing style is going to cause his body to break down in a few years. Their window is closing quickly

Yeah, There’s only so much of that Allen can play and hold up playing. I’m surprised he hasn’t been hurt more often.

Everyone tends to do this... Hell, Tua's first injury came from a dirty, late hit... and some still try to blame our line. There is an awful lot of people confused about cause and correlation.
Fever what do you consider hero ball?

I’m confused how this relates when they are entirely two different style qbs. Allen requires his running for their success because he has **** accuracy and anticipation. Tua holding the ball too long is usually due to o-line breaking down too quick. These are not the same? Grabbing at a narrative that isnt there

Fever what do you consider hero ball?
That's a good question actually... each play is different.

But for a QB, I think it is trying to do too much outside of the design of the play. Sure, all QBs buy time, but when you risk huge, outside of the pocket hits when the game is not 100% on the line, I think it's hero ball.

2nd and 8 in the second quarter and the pocket is collapsing? Throw it away. 3 and 14 when you are only down 6, dump it to your RB and see what he can do... QBs who duck and dodge and try to juke out a blitzing LB in order to buy an extra second in order to throw the ball 50 yards to a tightly covered receiver? They are playing with fire... and we've seen multiple INT games from Mahomes when he goes too far.

Off-schedule and off-platform plays are nice... but veteran QBs learn to trust their defense too. Sometimes the best you can hope for is to avoid a sack and save 10 yards for your Punter, and I think Tua tries to do too much. I can't fault his desire, but he IS undersized and fragile... that one play vs. an injury that could keep him out for the next 4 games? Throw it away.

I’m not sure anyone wants Tua to play hero ball but Tua…

Heck, that was Saban’s criticism of Tua when he was coming out for the draft. Saban said (paraphrased) that Tua needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of try to make every play and getting hurt.

Three seasons later... Tua is still working on it.

What? Who is advocating for Tua to play hero ball?

Physically, Tua can't play like Allen. Tua isn't a running QB. His yards per attempt in his career is lower than Tom Brady.

But for a QB, I think it is trying to do too much outside of the design of the play. Sure, all QBs buy time, but when you risk huge, outside of the pocket hits when the game is not 100% on the line, I think it's hero ball.

2nd and 8 in the second quarter and the pocket is collapsing? Throw it away. 3 and 14 when you are only down 6, dump it to your RB and see what he can do... QBs who duck and dodge and try to juke out a blitzing LB in order to buy an extra second in order to throw the ball 50 yards to a tightly covered receiver? They are playing with fire... and we've seen multiple INT games from Mahomes when he goes too far.

Off-schedule and off-platform plays are nice... but veteran QBs learn to trust their defense too. Sometimes the best you can hope for is to avoid a sack and save 10 yards for your Punter, and I think Tua tries to do too much. I can't fault his desire, but he IS undersized and fragile... that one play vs. an injury that could keep him out for the next 4 games? Throw it away.

Understood, I’m not asking him really to scramble and make off schedule plays all behind the LOS, but I’ve been saying he needs to take an aggressive approach to running with the ball, so at that exact moment when he feels something isn’t gonna work with his read then become that dual threat where he runs upfield, aggressively, ball tucked and sliding before contact..

This is not hard to do.

If he can do that then it’s going to not only add another dimension for defenses to worry about but imo it will protect him better from injury.

Hesitation and unsureness is the enemy

Last edited:

By that definition, how much does Tua actually risk? I really dont see it too much. Does it happen still? For sure, Bengals injury is a good example but compared to college it’s not even close. You cant ask him to avoid making plays, it plays to the strength of his anticipation and accuracy by biding time and making him that much more deadly. Telling him to stay in the pocket and dump off more often than not, you are constraining him. His body will be in the prime of his career for something he worked his life toward. He’s not 45 year old Brady and I just dont think now is the time to tell him not use his athletic ability, and hope for the best that he can learn how to fall/elimate a few more hero plays. But you cant take that away from his game

Last edited:

JOSH ALLENQB, BUFFALO BILLS
josh allen

Bills coach Sean McDermott wants Josh Allen to begin taking fewer hits in 2023.​

"I don't think that's a healthy way to play quarterback in this league and it's undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style," McDermott said. "We have to get that adjusted and it's never going to go completely away, but it has to get where it's workable." That's about as direct as a coaching quote can get. McDermott referenced league data that showed Allen getting hit on 66 percent of his down-field rushes in 2022. Allen's wild style left him with an elbow injury that compromised his season. McDermott admitted the obvious that Allen's rushing is one of the things that makes him special, but he is probably correct that the soon-to-be 27-year-old is at a stage where he might need to make an adjustment. We'll believe it when we see it, of course. Allen's reckless abandon rushing is one of the main reasons he's an annual clear-cut top-two QB in fantasy.

The coach of one of the best off-platform QBs in the League is telling his guy to play smarter and take fewer hits.

Are you SURE you don't want Tua to learn to check down more often?
Bro, Allen has been a 6’5” 240lb wrecking ball. Even he needs to pick his spots, because he will get hurt eventually. I love Tua and he’s our QB, but these are two different conversations.

Just like my buddy above pointed out Saban had this issue with Tua dating back to his Alabama days. To me hero ball is never throwing the ball away. Even when the play breaks down right away Tua will try to save the play by trying something risky like throwing the ball across the middle of his body late. We are taught since grade school not to do that! Tua may be hard headed in this area but if Marino could be smart and throw the ball away Tua can do the same. His instincts are to valiantly try to save the play but that's causing injuries and turnovers so he has to change his mind set for the good of his future health. Tua, if he learns to throw the ball away, just might stay healthy an entire season! He just can't risk his health anymore if he is to have a long career with some Super Bowl victories. He really should watch some tape of Marino/ Dan saved himself a ton of punishment by playing smart.
The deal with the Bills is that Allen has to run for that team to be explosive. He's a big guy and a great runner, he's a weapon. If he stops running the Bills won't be as good, if he doesn't stop it's inevitable that someone will take his knees out or some like injury will occur. We DO NOT need our QB to run the ball except when there 15 yards of green grass to easily take on your way out of bounds. Kid has to smarten up. I hope he does.

What? Who is advocating for Tua to play hero ball?

Physically, Tua can't play like Allen. Tua isn't a running QB. His yards per attempt in his career is lower than Tom Brady.

Tua can run if necessary; and when he does, he’s relatively effective.
  • Tua’s career rushing average: 8.5 yard
  • Tom’s career rushing average: 3.4 yards
  • Josh’s career rushing average: 7.1 yards
A couple times a game is fine.

source: profootballreference.com

Last edited:
Everyone tends to do this... Hell, Tua's first injury came from a dirty, late hit... and some still try to blame our line. There is an awful lot of people confused about cause and correlation.
While I understand that the slide into concussion protocols came from a late hit…

Our line SUCKED a bunch since Tua’s been here - and Tua has OFTEN tried to throw when getting sacked - like in the grips of a defender or two and contorts his body to make an awkward ill adviced throw…

Our line has problems and Tua needs to rework this contortionist act or he will be in the stands with the rest of us for good - enjoying watching someone else play QB for this team…

Back
Top Bottom