Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball.

JOSH ALLENQB, BUFFALO BILLS
josh allen

Bills coach Sean McDermott wants Josh Allen to begin taking fewer hits in 2023.​

"I don't think that's a healthy way to play quarterback in this league and it's undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style," McDermott said. "We have to get that adjusted and it's never going to go completely away, but it has to get where it's workable." That's about as direct as a coaching quote can get. McDermott referenced league data that showed Allen getting hit on 66 percent of his down-field rushes in 2022. Allen's wild style left him with an elbow injury that compromised his season. McDermott admitted the obvious that Allen's rushing is one of the things that makes him special, but he is probably correct that the soon-to-be 27-year-old is at a stage where he might need to make an adjustment. We'll believe it when we see it, of course. Allen's reckless abandon rushing is one of the main reasons he's an annual clear-cut top-two QB in fantasy.

The coach of one of the best off-platform QBs in the League is telling his guy to play smarter and take fewer hits.

Are you SURE you don't want Tua to learn to check down more often?
Been saying the same for a while. It doesn't matter how big and how strong you are you are going to get hurt eventually running the way he does. Personally, I think he's got away with a lot of it because he is a QB and LB's are afraid to hit him in case they draw a flag but sooner or later one of them is going to get sick of a QB trying to truck them.

It's the same when I see people shouting to go get Lamar or people saying they would swap Tua for Fields in a heartbeat. This has been tried before and if Mike Vick couldn't make it work I'm not sure what human could.

What? Who is advocating for Tua to play hero ball?

Physically, Tua can't play like Allen. Tua isn't a running QB. His yards per attempt in his career is lower than Tom Brady.
Exactly, I am not sure what the OP is referring too. We are talking about two different types of QB's. Tua just needs to throw the ball away.

josh allen

Bills coach Sean McDermott wants Josh Allen to begin taking fewer hits in 2023.​

"I don't think that's a healthy way to play quarterback in this league and it's undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style," McDermott said. "We have to get that adjusted and it's never going to go completely away, but it has to get where it's workable." That's about as direct as a coaching quote can get. McDermott referenced league data that showed Allen getting hit on 66 percent of his down-field rushes in 2022. Allen's wild style left him with an elbow injury that compromised his season. McDermott admitted the obvious that Allen's rushing is one of the things that makes him special, but he is probably correct that the soon-to-be 27-year-old is at a stage where he might need to make an adjustment. We'll believe it when we see it, of course. Allen's reckless abandon rushing is one of the main reasons he's an annual clear-cut top-two QB in fantasy.

The coach of one of the best off-platform QBs in the League is telling his guy to play smarter and take fewer hits.

Hard to disagree.

Tua can run if necessary; and when he does, he’s relatively effective.
  • Tua’s career rushing average: 8.5 yard
  • Tom’s career rushing average: 3.4 yards
  • Josh’s career rushing average: 7.1 yards
A couple times a game is fine.

source: profootballreference.com
Tua's yards per attempt is 3.0 in his career. 3.0 in 2023. Kirk Cousins (3.1), Joe Burrow (3.4) and Carson Wentz (3.9) had a higher yards per attempt last season.

Tua is not an effective runner.

PS: Josh's 7.1 is the amount of attempts per game, not his average. His Y/A is 5.7. I got Brady's average wrong, but I think my point remains.

Last edited:
Tua's yards per attempt is 3.0 in his career. 3.0 in 2023. Kirk Cousins (3.1), Joe Burrow (3.4) and Carson Wentz (3.9) had a higher yards per attempt last season.

Tua is not an effective runner.

Source?

Source?

PFR.

Tua running the ball is really down on the list on things he should focus on really...

It’s actually silly that they mentioned Allen’s elbow injury. Allen hurt his elbow while taking a blindside hit standing in the pocket.
That's the truth. Still, Allen got the point last year where in the second half if he got frustrated with trying to read the defense he would just take off scrambling nearly every play without much of an attempt to get a pass off. With out snow game just being one of many examples. Not only will it wear him down physically it's also regressing as a QB- you only ever get so far without being able to process in the pocket.

Losing Dorsey, or a decline in his receiving corps outside of Diggs...he wasn't the same player last year he had been the two years prior.

That's the truth. Still, Allen got the point last year where in the second half if he got frustrated with trying to read the defense he would just take off scrambling nearly every play without much of an attempt to get a pass off. With out snow game just being one of many examples. Not only will it wear him down physically it's also regressing as a QB- you only ever get so far without being able to process in the pocket.

Losing Dorsey, or a decline in his receiving corps outside of Diggs...he wasn't the same player last year he had been the two years prior.
He didn’t lose Dorsey he lost Daboll.

You cant make Allen work as a pocket passer... Well you can but you wont go very far...

josh allen

Obviously, it's live fire when happening and decisions are happing in fractions of seconds. But, I think any QB needs to be very aware of their abilities when taking into account pulling it down and "taking what the defense gives them".

Back
Top Bottom