Here's the real scoop on Manuel Wright. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's the real scoop on Manuel Wright.

yankeehillbilly said:
Im not sure that I would.

Wright continues to show that he is not a self motivator. Showing up out of shape for a private workout that has been scheduled for months? If he was a project in the sense that he had a lot to learn, or needed to get stronger, then fine. But to take a guy whos deficiency is that he's lazy.. I dunno...I think I'd pass.

There could be many reasons for this, including immaturity, however based on hows he's looked when he has played and his raw physical skills he is worth a late pick as a project.

I have heard that the concensus is still that Wright will be selected in the 3rd round.

I really think we should keep an eye on the Grady Jackson situation. I'm not just coming up with conspiracy theories here. Drew Rosenhaus is very connected with the dolphins and whether they said anything to Drew or not, i would be willing to bet that Drew approached Grady suggesting that if he let him play hardball with the Packers, he could get them to release him, and then he could go down to Miami and take a multi-year deal with a signing bonus.

Drew is no idiot he knows he's got a bad rep that is approaching the Poston brothers and his playing hardball with Javon Walker is making him very unpopular with the Packers. The Pack may even see cutting Grady as sending a message. Rosenhaus knows the Phins are probably desperate for a guy who can play nose for the next two or three years.

I would spend a 6th or 7th on him easy.

But what's funny is my thread a month ago is coming true. I said the Phins should forget Wright because he's not suited to play nose tackle, and we have enough candidates to play the defensive tackle position that Wright would likely play. And, I said the Phins should really go after Roscoe Crosby.

Now, we hear reports that the Phins were so disgusted with Wright that they walked out early, and that the Phins are one of the 5 or so teams most interested in Crosby. I would be willing to bet that when they saw Wright bench the bar only 16 times, that is when they probably said forget about it. You need a nose tackle to be STRONG, strong enough to lift a bus. At the workout, Manual Wright showed that he's not even as strong as Roscoe Crosby, who lifted the 225 pound bar 18 times, lol.

Maybe we'll draft Crosby and play him at nose tackle lol

VanDolPhan said:
Why?

You do know what the word project means right? Practice squad. This kid wouldn't be as ready as Vickerson even. That's the sad point. Try to sign a vet (there are a few out there) and save the pick for the next draft.

Yes, try not to come across so condesendingly next time. The Dolphins need the potential/youth the kid offers. That's how Saban would have to look at it. He can't just be concerned with '05.

I'm not a fan of Wright's but he does have that high ceiling which makes taking a flyer bid on him worth it. Being out of shape at your private workout is pathetic and leads to doubt about his dedication, you can get the kid in shape come September if he's on your squad. He didn't quit after his first aborted sprint and that's a sign of his competitive spirit so it's not all bad.

He didn't quit after his first aborted sprint and that's a sign of his competitive spirit so it's not all bad.

No, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money that he just felt like he didn't get off to a good start during the run and so he pulled up lame with a hammy to abort it just so that nobody records the time.

I'm guessing the Phins scouts, and probably a lot of others, saw right through the ploy. Then they see him only lift the 225 pound bar 16 times? Like I said, Roscoe Crosby the WIDE RECEIVER lifted it 18 times. You don't put a guy on your team at nose tackle who is weaker than wide receivers. At nose tackle you need a guy who can lift an engine block out of a truck if need be. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Vonnie Holliday would be a more effective nose tackle than Manuel Wright, even if Holliday doesn't gain weight.

You can weight train and yeah Wright may get a little stronger, but it is obvious that strength does not come naturally for him. You can only build and maintain so much strength if it does not come natural to you. If a guy is not as strong as another guy, it isn't just because he's lazy.

This from PFT.

POSTED 9:37 a.m. EDT, July 9, 2005
WRIGHT STILL PROJECTED FOR ROUND THREE
Based on the Friday workout of defensive tackle Manuel Wright, Sam Farmer of The Los Angeles Times reports that the consensus of several scouts is that Wright is projected to be taken in the third round of the July 14 supplemental draft.

Mike Charles, Part II. No thanks.

But thank you, Brett, for bringing us this report. I'm glad you're a part of this board.

Correct me if I am wrong but if this kid was good in school we wouldnt see him in the draft for another 2 years correct? That is another reason why he is such a project. It seems to be a consensus he has the tools but wether that translate to the NFL is another story. Even after a poor workout he is still expected to go in the third round.

The kid still has some growing to do both mentally and physically. The ultimate project. PRetty young for many fans writing him off so early. Would I spend a 3rd on him? No but I would take him with a 4th, he will be gone after the 4th mark my words.

Yet I am still disgusted by his bench press. He has 150lbs on me and I could give him a run for his money. Thats a major concern. I hope he was injured when lifting, for if 225lbs 16 times is all it takes to make the NFL sign me up! Give me a few months and I will be lifting 275 16 times lol!

Yet I am still disgusted by his bench press. He has 150lbs on me and I could give him a run for his money. Thats a major concern. I hope he was injured when lifting, for if 225lbs 16 times is all it takes to make the NFL sign me up! Give me a few months and I will be lifting 275 16 times lol!

It is a major concern. I would be willing to bet Saban has concluded that he doesn't have the prerequisite strength to contribute on his defensive line at any tackle position.

Brett Tessler said:
His workout was a huge disappointment because he was so out of shape. The Dolphins were not impressed. They did not leave early just to make people think they're not interested... they're NOT interested. I heard that he's nowhere near ready to contribute, and he'll be a major project. That's not what the Dolphins need to invest a high pick in right now. I would be SHOCKED if the Fins selected him before the 4th round (if at all).

Just because he plays a highly coveted position and he does have potential, somebody might still take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd... But it won't be the Dolphins.

Awesome, is that a pic of you and the old Dukes of Hazzard boys we had holding down our special teams unit a couple seasons ago? It was Scott McGarrahan and.....I can't seem to remember the other guy..... didn't we call'em "Bo and Luke"?

ckparrothead said:
I have heard that the concensus is still that Wright will be selected in the 3rd round.

I really think we should keep an eye on the Grady Jackson situation. I'm not just coming up with conspiracy theories here. Drew Rosenhaus is very connected with the dolphins and whether they said anything to Drew or not, i would be willing to bet that Drew approached Grady suggesting that if he let him play hardball with the Packers, he could get them to release him, and then he could go down to Miami and take a multi-year deal with a signing bonus.

Drew is no idiot he knows he's got a bad rep that is approaching the Poston brothers and his playing hardball with Javon Walker is making him very unpopular with the Packers. The Pack may even see cutting Grady as sending a message. Rosenhaus knows the Phins are probably desperate for a guy who can play nose for the next two or three years.

We don't want that guy. He's a bum. He only plays when he wants to.......I've seen it time and time again out of him.

i really hope we don\t invest more than a 6th or 7th rounder in any of the guys available in the supp. draft , which DT\s that are FA are out there ?

Brett Tessler said:
His workout was a huge disappointment because he was so out of shape. The Dolphins were not impressed. They did not leave early just to make people think they're not interested... they're NOT interested. I heard that he's nowhere near ready to contribute, and he'll be a major project. That's not what the Dolphins need to invest a high pick in right now. I would be SHOCKED if the Fins selected him before the 4th round (if at all).

Just because he plays a highly coveted position and he does have potential, somebody might still take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd... But it won't be the Dolphins.
Thanks for the insight Brett!

Back
Top Bottom