Here's the real scoop on Manuel Wright. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's the real scoop on Manuel Wright.

ckparrothead said:
I have heard that the concensus is still that Wright will be selected in the 3rd round.

I really think we should keep an eye on the Grady Jackson situation. I'm not just coming up with conspiracy theories here. Drew Rosenhaus is very connected with the dolphins and whether they said anything to Drew or not, i would be willing to bet that Drew approached Grady suggesting that if he let him play hardball with the Packers, he could get them to release him, and then he could go down to Miami and take a multi-year deal with a signing bonus.

Drew is no idiot he knows he's got a bad rep that is approaching the Poston brothers and his playing hardball with Javon Walker is making him very unpopular with the Packers. The Pack may even see cutting Grady as sending a message. Rosenhaus knows the Phins are probably desperate for a guy who can play nose for the next two or three years.

Supposing your theory is valid CK, do you think Grady would want to play for the phins? The reason I ask is he may look at our record from last year and see how we are in transition and he may think we're not going to be very successful and therefore not want to come to us. Therefore, he may ask Drew to orchestrate a trade to another team that is willing to pay him and is closer to winning the SB in his eyes.

Personally, I think we're going to win the SB every year but I don't think everyone sees things with aqua and orange glasses :D .

enigmatics said:
Awesome, is that a pic of you and the old Dukes of Hazzard boys we had holding down our special teams unit a couple seasons ago? It was Scott McGarrahan and.....I can't seem to remember the other guy..... didn't we call'em "Bo and Luke"?

Yes, those are three of my former Dolphins clients. Scott McGarrahan, Trent Gamble, and Morgan Pears (who has been w/the Giants the last couple of seasons).

DolphinsRising said:
I'm not a fan of Wright's but he does have that high ceiling which makes taking a flyer bid on him worth it.

I wouldn't. If there's anything learned from the Wanny era is spending next years picks for now is a bad bad idea.

Next year with the DT class being so deep this team could get a good rookie starter in the 2nd round. Then they could use that 3rd on whatever.

Could you imagine taking a flyer last year on someone like Wright and losing out on Crowder? That's the kinda risk were talking about. There will be BETTER players available then overpaying now for a guy who doesn't fit Saban's type of player.

Anyone who attended a college with a strong atheletics program knows that players are given every opportunity to succeed academically (fair or not). This guy couldn't even keep his grades up high enough to play next year. Then he's not in shape for his work out. He may be competitive; he may have alot of talent. One thing he doesn't possess is the willingness to work hard to get what he wants. If Wright isn't willing to stay in shape now, before he gets paid; why would anyone assume that he would stay in shape after he gets paid? If he gets drafted, he's making a mockery of players like KJ Harris who are walk ons and would give their left *** to play in the NFL.

ckparrothead said:
No, but I would be willing to bet a lot of money that he just felt like he didn't get off to a good start during the run and so he pulled up lame with a hammy to abort it just so that nobody records the time.

I'm guessing the Phins scouts, and probably a lot of others, saw right through the ploy. Then they see him only lift the 225 pound bar 16 times? Like I said, Roscoe Crosby the WIDE RECEIVER lifted it 18 times. You don't put a guy on your team at nose tackle who is weaker than wide receivers. At nose tackle you need a guy who can lift an engine block out of a truck if need be. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Vonnie Holliday would be a more effective nose tackle than Manuel Wright, even if Holliday doesn't gain weight.

You can weight train and yeah Wright may get a little stronger, but it is obvious that strength does not come naturally for him. You can only build and maintain so much strength if it does not come natural to you. If a guy is not as strong as another guy, it isn't just because he's lazy.
The bench press numbers from one workout do not in of themselves mean that Wright is weaker than Crosby when it comes to functional football strength. How much can each player power clean, squat and deadlift? When we see those numbers, we'll have a better idea. When Richmond Webb went to the combine back in 1990, he only did 14 reps on the bench. I'm glad the Dolphins back then didn't say: Gee whiz, Webb is too weak to be a left tackle in the NFL, he could only do 14 reps on the bench. That Webb's arms hung down almost to his knees (well maybe not quite that far, but his arms were way longer than average) may have had more than a little to do with it.
Your comparison of needing the strength to lift an engine block out of a truck to play nose is also interesting, except what anyone can bench would mean little in the muscles that would predominately come into play to lift an engine block. What a man could dead lift would have a much greater bearing in his ability to lift an engine block.

enigmatics said:
We don't want that guy. He's a bum. He only plays when he wants to.......I've seen it time and time again out of him.

There's an easy solution for playing with guys who supposedly take plays off or only play when they want to. Incentive contracts, and a healthy rotation. Guys that supposedly "play when they want to" often are just tired. Rotate them in instead of starting them and playing them every down, and you won't have that problem as much. Common sense tells them they can't afford to take plays off if they're in only part time, because they dont have a whole lot of playing time to prove their worth for the contract.

MrClean said:
The bench press numbers from one workout do not in of themselves mean that Wright is weaker than Crosby when it comes to functional football strength. How much can each player power clean, squat and deadlift? When we see those numbers, we'll have a better idea. When Richmond Webb went to the combine back in 1990, he only did 14 reps on the bench. I'm glad the Dolphins back then didn't say: Gee whiz, Webb is too weak to be a left tackle in the NFL, he could only do 14 reps on the bench. That Webb's arms hung down almost to his knees (well maybe not quite that far, but his arms were way longer than average) may have had more than a little to do with it.
Your comparison of needing the strength to lift an engine block out of a truck to play nose is also interesting, except what anyone can bench would mean little in the muscles that would predominately come into play to lift an engine block. What a man could dead lift would have a much greater bearing in his ability to lift an engine block.

I was joking about Crosby being stronger than Wright to emphasize a point. The bottom line is you need VERY good upper body strength to play the position in this defense, and it is obvious that he simply does not have it.

Left tackle is a different position.

Good insight Brett but I still think we should invest a 4th in him. It'd be stupid to NOT throw a 4th out there regardless.

If I was to get a Spielman buzz cut, and channel Spiely's great spirit, I'd say let's give up a 1st AND a 2nd pick for him. Oh, and throw in Jason Taylor as well.

HysterikiLL said:
Good insight Brett but I still think we should invest a 4th in him. It'd be stupid to NOT throw a 4th out there regardless.

I think the Dolphins would consider taking him in the 4th, but probably no sooner. Remember, people were talking about this guy as a 1st round pick not too long ago. This guy's getting alot more attention then he deserves just because he's in the supplemental draft. If he were in the regular draft and performed this way at the combine, he'd be a 6th-FA. There have been more talented players than this who have gone undrafted because of character issues. Besides, when is the last time you remember a top player being taken in the supplemental draft? Because these guys are forced to come out early, it means they were either an attitude problem or not smart enough to stay academically eligible. If I were the Dolphins I wouldn't bother with him.

Brett Tessler said:
I think the Dolphins would consider taking him in the 4th, but probably no sooner. Remember, people were talking about this guy as a 1st round pick not too long ago. This guy's getting alot more attention then he deserves just because he's in the supplemental draft. If he were in the regular draft and performed this way at the combine, he'd be a 6th-FA. There have been more talented players than this who have gone undrafted because of character issues. Besides, when is the last time you remember a top player being taken in the supplemental draft? Because these guys are forced to come out early, it means they were either an attitude problem or not smart enough to stay academically eligible. If I were the Dolphins I wouldn't bother with him.

That I agree with! Why over pay for a guy who probably won't help us this year.

Steve

Hey Brett have you heard anything on kevin Vickerson? everyone was looking at us getting wright, but i haven't even heard anything on the DT that we already drafted.

thanks Bret, I believe all those posting before me that if he could'nt keep up his grades and show up AT LEAST in shape, he is not worth anything above a 4th. There are to many guys who, as was mentioned, would do anything to play in the NFL to take any chances on what may be a lazy man.

Back
Top Bottom