HEY, GMs...Is Wale worth 2 - 2nds? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HEY, GMs...Is Wale worth 2 - 2nds?

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
I would like a 5 year 18 million dollar contract with a 8 million dollar signing bonus, split up in a 5 million up front and a 3 million dollar bonus if they pick up the option to keep him in the third year. With enough incentives to reach 25 million dollars over the 5 years.

Something along those lines.

Theres NO WAY he would agree to those numbers. Hell, Reggie Howard even got a 6 year $21 million contract. Ogun will get at least a 7 digit signign bonus and at least a 6 years contract.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Unfortunately if you were negotiating with Drew Rosenhaus right now, he would be scoffing in your face.

I think we would give him a deal with an $6-8 million signing bonus. I know I would.

Let him scoff all he wants. The Dolphins do not negotiate deals like Daniel Snyder and everyone in the league knows it.

Ogunleye has had only two good years and one pro-bowl. As we all know he has already blown out a knee and was most likely traumatized by the experience. He does not want to sign a one year tender so something will probably get done.

And what are Ogun's choices?

He signs a long term deal with Miami with an 8 to 10 mil signing bonus.

or

He holds out this season. Hopes we don't franchise him next season (which we might be able to afford when the salary cap goes up). Then signs either a smaller long term deal (b/c now he is a former probowler who hasn't played in a year) or he signs a 1 year deal hopes, he doesn't get hurt and plays well enough to get the huge deal the following season.

If I were advising my client, I'd say take the 8 to 10 mill. signing bonus now rather than waiting 1 or more years for the bigger payoff that may never materialize.

Those are not his only choices. He can, and most likely will, sign the one year tender and just go ahead and buy himself an insurance policy in case he gets injured and therefore loses a ton of money on the 2005 free market (done all the time).

If anyone's taken a class on game theory, that is the incomplete Nash equilibrium of this game where it concerns holdout. Now as for Ogunleye deciding between our offer of an $8 million signing bonus, vs his firm belief that he'll get a $15 million signing bonus from some team in 2005, then that just comes down what he and Rosenhaus truly believe he'll make on the market next year vs the chances of him getting injured. He already played this year with no guarantees against injury for the future...so he doesn't seem especially scared of it.

If it were all about cap room this year, Ogunleye would be signed. Thankfully, when GMs evaluate a cap situation, they don't make a fan/madden mistake and create only a 1 year matrix.

You are right it isn't just about cap room for this year. That's why I posted the details of two contracts. One that Ogunleye deserves and the other that is outrageously high for just two proven years of service.

As I pointed out even the $60 million deal is affordable for the first three years. With a plan Ogunleye can be paid and afforded in the future.

Now some prefer that the money be spent on the offense. That is different from saying we can't afford Ogunleye. That is spending the money differently.

As we all know he has already blown out a knee and was most likely traumatized by the experience.

Here is an interesting AND GREAT point that slowly becomes a double edged sword for Wale.

He can, and most likely will, sign the one year tender and just go ahead and buy himself an insurance policy in case he gets injured and therefore loses a ton of money on the 2005 free market (done all the time).

(HI CK!) And here is the sobering alternative.

I'm reminded of the saying, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

While Rosey wants to line his pockets with a big fat commission, I think Wale's better judgement will remind him he is lucky to be playing in the NFL and vying for such a huge contract.

No matter how we all feel about how much WE think he is worth, Wale has to consider that this IS his BIG Contract. More importantly, he may feel he is lucky enough to command such money and not want to risk injury while HOPING for a bigger contract.

I think eventually, Wale will give in and both the Dolphins and Wale will come to a more manageable common ground.

I know I've taken various sides to this issue in many posts. However, I simply wants best for the Dolphins. If Wale has too many $$$$ in his eyes, I vote for a trade and get the Dolphins all the compensation they can get.

However, if he wants to be more reasonable about the numbers and be more team-oriented.... PLEASE COME BACK!

My opinion on bonuses and contracts.... if players want the MONEY, ask for the big signing bonus BUT accept lower gauranteed salaries. Example:

Wale gets his $15M bonus, but settles for $1M - $2M yearly salaries. I think if more guys did this, we'd have less restructuring and more cohesion in the league. Not too mention, in 1 year (initial bonus and 1 year roster bonus), the player gets what they are really after.... the signing bonus.

PHINZ RULE!

Those are not his only choices. He can, and most likely will, sign the one year tender and just go ahead and buy himself an insurance policy in case he gets injured and therefore loses a ton of money on the 2005 free market (done all the time).

If anyone's taken a class on game theory, that is the incomplete Nash equilibrium of this game where it concerns holdout. Now as for Ogunleye deciding between our offer of an $8 million signing bonus, vs his firm belief that he'll get a $15 million signing bonus from some team in 2005, then that just comes down what he and Rosenhaus truly believe he'll make on the market next year vs the chances of him getting injured. He already played this year with no guarantees against injury for the future...so he doesn't seem especially scared of it.

Or Miami and Ogun meet in the middle. This is still the most likely outcome b/c it's best for everybody involved. Drew asks for 15 (and is laughed at by several teams). Miami offers 8 (maybe drew laughs). They finally settle on 11.5.

Even then nothing is going to happen til after the draft. While many on this board are panicking that we lost him for nothing, Miami is doing the same thing they do everytime. They tell their FAs to go out and find their market value before negotiating. That stops them from negotiating against themselves and depresses over-inflated demands. The reports that do not originate with Drew say that no team was willing to pay that much for Ogun. (I'm talking money regardless of picks). Drews demands will go down and Miami will be in a better position for having waited instead of panicking.

IMO they plan to keep Ogun unless someone blows them away with an offer. Two seconds shouldn't blow anyone away. So, while guessing who we would choose with those picks is fun, we won't trade Ogun for that.

I firmly do not believe Ogunleye is worth an $11.5 million signing bonus. He's just not that caliber a player.

I firmly do not believe Ogunleye is worth an $11.5 million signing bonus. He's just not that caliber a player.

My thoughts exactly. I would think he is in the 6-8 million range. I will not knock the numbers Ogun put up, BUT let him do it against left tackles. How about we switch Ogun to RDE and Taylor to LDE and see what happens. Ogun is a better player than the other DE's that have played opposite Taylor but JT's talent dwarfs Oguns. JT plays against double teams, chip blocks, and line shifts his way. All of this benefits Ogun because he just has to beat the right tackle in a one on on situation.....Madison and Surtain locking up the recievers and making the QB's hold the ball helps too. Like I said Ogun is a talented guy but he is also a product of the system.

A post like that makes you look more stupid than it does the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Letting Ogun go for nothing in 2005 isn't a matter of being smart, or being dumb. Its a matter who the hand you're dealt. Choices. We franchise him, sign him long term, or he leaves via free agency. Can we afford the franchise tender? NO. Have we shown the willingness to give into his contract demands in a year in which we actually have money? NO. Being a smart guy I'm sure Spielman will just whip the solution straight out of his butt, he'll handcuff Ogunleye to his locker.

BTW if you think Taylor was singled on Pitts all day you have a bad memory. The Texans were scared to DEATH of what JT would do on Chester Pitts and the slid protection out to him all day long.
I don't recall calling you or anybody else on this board stupid. You have your opinion and I have mine and there's not need for name calling.

Ozzy rules!!

Oh come on Danny it was obvious. That post was seething. It had a hot stink on it. It was drafted to make all of us Ogunleye traders seem dumb and you know it. I didn't call you a name btw, I merely stated a simple fact that your farsical post does more to make you look dumb than it does to make us look dumb...in other words if that was your aim, you failed. If it wasn't your aim, then my statement hath no bearing.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Miami traded him for an early 2nd rounder.

Back
Top Bottom