Hickey is a bad GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hickey is a bad GM

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a bit unfair considering the coach he was saddled with and Tannenbaum coming on a year into his tenure, but it's becoming clear that many here vastly overrated his abilities as a talent evaluator.

His reputation was built on one pick: Landry

While James was also a solid pick, most of his other picks have been underwhelming or awful, while his FA pickups have been equally as disastrous as Ireland's.

Let's also not forget he was part of a FO that caused the Bucs to land the number 1 overall pick last year.

When Hickey is let go, none of us should be shedding any tears. He is what many of us thought he was at the time.

A non-qualified (5th option!) candidate who only landed the job because he was he only one who would accept a role with a failure like Philbin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I said the same awhile ago - Hickey is super overrated on this site. His drafts are turning out Ireland-esque.

Really???

So James and Landry are solid starters......Landry being Pro-Bowl material. Hazel and Fede are what some would consider great late round finds. Weve only seen the beginning of Parker, Philips and Ajayi. We upgraded our kickers without using any draft picks. We jettisoned the big contracts of Wallace and Ellerbe. Not to mention we were able to land Suh and Albert.

Im not saying he is the best GM in the league, but he is far better than the last few we had.

Really???

So James and Landry are solid starters......Landry being Pro-Bowl material. Hazel and Fede are what some would consider great late round finds. Weve only seen the beginning of Parker, Philips and Ajayi. We upgraded our kickers without using any draft picks. We jettisoned the big contracts of Wallace and Ellerbe. Not to mention we were able to land Suh and Albert.

Im not saying he is the best GM in the league, but he is far better than the last few we had.

The majority of "good to great" players on this roster were chosen by the previous GM.

R. Jones
Grimes
Rishard Matthews
Pouncey
Wake

Hazel and Fede have done jack squat on game days. Albert has been a massive liability given his injury history. And that injury history was known at the time of signing. Relying solely on him to solve our OL woes was a huge miscalculation and cost us last season and this one.

It's still yet to be seen how the Suh acquisition will turn out, but it seems that was more of a Tannebaum move anyway.

I wouldn't say our kickers have been "upgraded" at all, if anything just replaced with equivalent talent at a lower cost.

There is hope for some of this year's class, but they certainly haven't blown us away at this point...

Hickey isn't the answer. He may be a marginal improvement over Ireland, but even that is questionable

I think he's better than Ireland for what its worth. We need better free agency periods. his signings aren't instant impact guys, but it looks like we have talent that is developable on the roster. What team hits on 100% of draft picks

Clarify the front office...who does what and is responsible for what? Right now, it is a jumbled mess. Fix this first and whoever you want to stay, make a decision and lets go.

Once the front office is cleared up, we are ready for a coach.

didn't Hickey take over the mess Ireland did?
Tannenbaum was the one that addressed the run game with one player, rather than filling several holes, the same holes this entire board knew about in July

"Albert has been a massive liability given his injury history. And that injury history was known at the time of signing"

The knee injury that happened to Albert would've happened to ANYONE, and the hamstring issue that affected him for a couple of games were in direct relation to that and were gone after just a little bit of rest. He's been rock-solid since and it would be nearly impossible to replace him any time soon. You'd have to use your first round pick and then that kid would take 2 years to be as good as Albert is now.

Albert is a top 5-8 left tackle in the game, and those guys are Extremely hard to find.

Having said that, though: Hickey taking him was as difficult of a choice as a man dying of thirst in the desert accepting a glass of water.

A Big Lie was fed to the fans in the offseason. They knew 2015 was not the year. They got Suh because that was when he was available. He'll be out there for us next fall, too, when (IMO) we'll be much more competitive, having filled many of the holes they just couldn't get to this season. Ireland left us with such a bare cupboard, it would take minimum 3 years to repair the damage.

As bad as our roster looks, it's not weak everywhere and I do think some kids are in the building that will make good, productive impacts next year. That Hewitt kid looks really good and I think he, by next fall, will be filling a hole that fans now believe we need to blow a draft pick on. He's got much better football smarts than Jenkins did in his first year, and his athleticism is excellent.

You can be mad at the FO for not drafting more players of need for the 2015 season while Ross was running his mouth about how 2015 needs to be 'The Year'. Drafting players of need, or signing players of need (using up cap room with ramifications into the future) is no guarantee and our FO believed that the players at those positions were nowhere near the value of the players that Miami did draft at those chronological spots.
I'm pretty happy with Jordan Phillips. Aren't you? It's obvious that DL was more of a 'need position' than we thought. I'm unsure of Devante Parker but his Louisville film is jaw-dropping and I think we'll see more of that good stuff as the season goes on.

Behind closed doors, the FO knew that 2015 was a developmental year, and drafted accordingly and signed FAs (or didn't sign) accordingly. I'm not sure what happened with the Evan Mathis thing but the guy did have a choice to play with a solid playoff contender. Ironically, I just don't think we're that bad at guard right now. If Mathis was a legit swing tackle than we should've emptied the piggy-bank. But he wasn't and I'm glad we didn't compromise 2016.

HIckey was not given the time to show if he is good or not, with the small sample of what he was able to accomplish he did a good job, I would give him a B....this roster is pathetic and it didn't happen in just one yr..... The problem with this organizational structure is ownership and who reports to whom, its disfunctional with no one have a clear cut boss, everyone bypasses their immediate boss and repots to Ross

The majority of "good to great" players on this roster were chosen by the previous GM.

R. Jones
Grimes
Rishard Matthews
Pouncey
Wake

Hazel and Fede have done jack squat on game days. Albert has been a massive liability given his injury history. And that injury history was known at the time of signing. Relying solely on him to solve our OL woes was a huge miscalculation and cost us last season and this one.

It's still yet to be seen how the Suh acquisition will turn out, but it seems that was more of a Tannebaum move anyway.

I wouldn't say our kickers have been "upgraded" at all, if anything just replaced with equivalent talent at a lower cost.

There is hope for some of this year's class, but they certainly haven't blown us away at this point...

Hickey isn't the answer. He may be a marginal improvement over Ireland, but even that is questionable

Im confused. Whats your point of listing those 5 players when I didn't mention them whatsoever?? Fede has performed well when he has been called upon......when most 7th rounders don't even make the team. Hazel is buried on the depth chart. Suh is a beast......watch a fricking game. And replacing equal talent for cheaper talent is actually a good thing.....and I think a majority of Fin fans would agree that Caleb Sturgis and Brandon Fields are not better than Darr and Franks.

I think you are the one who cant evaluate talent. It takes a long time to unwind what Ireland did.

I'm probably in the minority but I like Hickey as a GM. His strength is in player evaluation and I think that he has had two solid Drafts. Good things sometimes take time. I hope he stays. Where Jeff Ireland was still locked into the Parcells Draft dogma and its 422 rules, Dennis Hickey seems more logical. Tannenbaum is a negotiator and he is reliant on top player evaluators like Hickey and his team. I'm extremely disappointed the way the season has turned out but I would prefer to keep Tannenbaum and Hickey and focus on finding a Head Coach who can get results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannenbum is the kiss of death now for 2 franchises. Only a moron like Ross would have Hickey report to a load who got fired for cause and couldn't even score a lateral position, let alone an elevated one anywhere else instead of vice versa.

This thread is as handcuffed as Hickey was/is....In no way shape or form does anyone "really" no what goes on behind Miami's doors.Unless your on the "IN" with Dolphins FO!

I liked what I saw from the little he has done here....When you have a **** ton of talentless guys on a team and you only get 1 year to show what you got, you are ****ed from the get go!

Back
Top Bottom