Hickey is a bad GM | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hickey is a bad GM

I'm not sure how anyone can accurately paint a picture of the competence or incompetence of this team without a clearer picture of who is doing what? Who is picking the players? Who is acquiring free agents? How do Tbaum and Hickey work with each other and share duties?

Without clearing that up, we are all just speculating.....

I'm not sure how anyone can accurately paint a picture of the competence or incompetence of this team without a clearer picture of who is doing what? Who is picking the players? Who is acquiring free agents? How do Tbaum and Hickey work with each other and share duties?

Without clearing that up, we are all just speculating.....

It seems pretty clear that Mike Tannenbaum is Bill Parcells and Dennis Hickey is Jeff Ireland (the Jeff we heard little about while Parcells was here). Speculation sure, but just look at the track record of events and you can tell that is the setup.

That being said, you can't go into 2013 with all that money and all those draft picks (5 picks in the first 3 rounds) . . . . and end up with the players that were gotten from that. It can't happen . . . sets the franchise back 4 years at minimum as you need 2 years to make up for that draft and another 2 years to make up for other positions that need addressing as rookie salaries turn into big contracts.

We are sitting here struggling on defense . . . . well our #3 overall pass rusher is a pot head who can't play . . . and we traded a 2nd round pick to move up from him . . . our 2 CBs, that were supposed to be the future, take over for Vontae and Sean, are a DISASTER . . . Jamar Taylor may be the worst CB we've had in the last 15 years, and that is saying something. When Dallas Thomas is your BEST player from those 5 top 3 round picks we had from that year . . . that is all you need to know.

Then we sign our future at LB in Ellerbe/Wheeler and both guys are gone.

So essentially every area we are struggling at right now, we addressed in 2013, and we whiffed on ALL of em. Now people wanna throw blame at Hickey/Tannenbaum for that . . . thats a big joke.

Like I said, if your quarterback takes the next step, you can overcome some of that and be decent, but this was a dumpster fire in the making.

Well tannenBum certainly gave Tanny the "Mark Sanchez" treatment with a big payday for so-so play on the feild. If that was the wrong decision it will cripple the team for years to come. But hey, he was a good hire right??? The Dolphins are comic relief for the real organizations in the NFL right now.

Well tannenBum certainly gave Tanny the "Mark Sanchez" treatment with a big payday for so-so play on the feild. If that was the wrong decision it will cripple the team for years to come. But hey, he was a good hire right??? The Dolphins are comic relief for the real organizations in the NFL right now.

Ryan Tannehill was getting the "guaranteed" 5th year option anyways . . . all this contract really did was bargain the Dolphins into a long term deal in case the quarterback took the next step. The contract is structured like 3 2 year deals . . . so after next year (year 2 of the contract) . . . you can cut ties w/o much penalty. It was actually a very reasonable deal for the Dolphins . . . considering the state of the NFL, TV contracts and expected salary cap rise and how teams are paying their quarterbacks.

It certainly won't "cripple" the team for years . . . and I don't even like Ryan Tannehill like that.

t-bomb is a LAWYER,

Hickey is a scout.

Neither one is really a GM.

I like Hickey, but he was low balled from day 1. Maybe he would have developed into the perfect GM, but the way that Ross brought him in did not in any way help that process.

T-bomb seems like a nice enough guy, but I would NEVER have brought Suh here or signed RT to that contract.

His track record in NY is pretty clear. He likes to make the BIG splash, but really doesn't pick out talent or develop talent in any way.

He REALLY likes to make a big splash every off season, which is exactly what we need to get away from.

Still confused why a vast majority of this site still thinks that Hickey has any say so. He is a glorified scout. That's all. Tannenbaum makes the final call.

You hit the nail on the head. When things are going great tanabums the bomb, things go bad hickyey sucks. This team had Tannenbaum's stamp of approval we started.

I thinks its an unfair evaluation of the results.

And in reality impossible to give a final grade this early.

James is solid and filled a glaring hole....Landry will end being a possible HOF guy...and probably the Dolphins all-time leading receiver.

Turner & Fede have future potential.

From this current draft....Parker looks like a playmaker....I like Phillips future.

Ajayi looks like a player.....Douglas, McCain, Lippett....all have potential.

I think we could regret losing him, looking back at drafts before him.

My biggest criticism would be not fixing the O-line and linebackers for 2015.

Ryan Tannehill was getting the "guaranteed" 5th year option anyways . . . all this contract really did was bargain the Dolphins into a long term deal in case the quarterback took the next step. The contract is structured like 3 2 year deals . . . so after next year (year 2 of the contract) . . . you can cut ties w/o much penalty. It was actually a very reasonable deal for the Dolphins . . . considering the state of the NFL, TV contracts and expected salary cap rise and how teams are paying their quarterbacks.

It certainly won't "cripple" the team for years . . . and I don't even like Ryan Tannehill like that.

Agree, and they can get away from him if they choose without major financial determent. Its the other areas you alluded to earlier in the thread that have destroyed this franchise. Im just wondering how long it will take to get a real MLB, another corner (two probably) another safety and Dline help. I can see them going heavy defense in this draft, at least I hope so, maybe address some offense in FA

t-bomb is a LAWYER,

Hickey is a scout.

Neither one is really a GM.

I like Hickey, but he was low balled from day 1. Maybe he would have developed into the perfect GM, but the way that Ross brought him in did not in any way help that process.

T-bomb seems like a nice enough guy, but I would NEVER have brought Suh here or signed RT to that contract.

His track record in NY is pretty clear. He likes to make the BIG splash, but really doesn't pick out talent or develop talent in any way.

He REALLY likes to make a big splash every off season, which is exactly what we need to get away from.

The guy built a team that went to 2 AFC championships with Mark Sanchez at quarterback. The teams he built are the type of teams we would salivate over right now.

I understand it went south later on because of the QB, but the guy built a squad.

The guy built a team that went to 2 AFC championships with Mark Sanchez at quarterback. The teams he built are the type of teams we would salivate over right now.

I understand it went south later on because of the QB, but the guy built a squad.

I don't Rex, but I think he had a lot to do with those seasons.

Again we can only assume who made the decisions , I could care less about either guy.
We settled on Hickey because others wanted to have power to fire Philbin.
I wanted Caserio from NE.
.. I also wanted Caserio, and i think the job was his, n he wanted to clean house and the Jetowner, said u can but philbin stays , Mr Caserio said goodbye and went back to boston. Maybe one of u guys can go back and check on the news that day ,, i could be wrong tho… but someone check it out the day he came to miami for the job..

I'm not going to say that Hickey's tenure at GM has been a complete failure, but I do question the persistence of some of the holes on our roster. For example, our interior offensive line has been a problem for 2 offseasons in which Hickey was in charge of the draft, yet the picks he has made (Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas) have not adequately addressed the problem. It makes me wonder if Hickey was somehow convinced that our interior group had developed into starters and thus didn't need to be addressed with high picks. It also makes me wonder if Hickey even put a thought into using a late round pick on La'el Collins and if he did, was he barred from making that pick by Tannenbaum or Ross.

I've also questioned the lack of higher quality upgrades at linebacker, safety, and cornerback. Sure, we've taken some lower round picks and UFA to address these positions, but that kind of draft mentality, waiting for young guys to develop, is best utilized on ground up rebuilding projects, or playoff caliber rosters. The Dolphins are neither. We needed immediate contributors at those positions...not developmental players. So either Hickey was convinced by our internal scouts and coaches that the likes of Misi, Sheppard, Aikens, Taylor, Thomas were quality starters, he was too dumb and blind to see that they aren't quality starters, or he's not really as in charge of the roster as Tannenbaum has claimed. All three possibilities are concerning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when it comes to certain positions like LB and G Hickey was going by what Philbin and his staff told him they wanted to do: build mid-round players into starters the way Green Bay does it. Of course, we can't know if that's true but it seemed likely from what was coming out of the organization around the time of the draft.

Even though Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas are both likely playing out of position (it's the Dolphins, what else is new?), I still think Turner can grow into RG and Douglas is no doubt better suited to LG (I'd have benched Dallas Thomas weeks ago).

Oh well, we'll see what the offseason holds. I'm in favor of whatever organizational structure yields the procurement of Sean Payton as the next HC.

And anyway, what do I know? I'm still pulling for Tom Gamble to be hired and put in charge of the whole operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think you can make this judgement. There's no telling who is doing what behind the scenes.

Hickey was doing s good job until Tannebaum got here. I credit hickey with one draft... The one we got Landry, James and whoever else we got in his first year here. Last year I give him no credit or blame because of Tannebaum's presence m. If anyone believes this crap about Tannebaum does free agency and hickey controls the draft... I got some ocean front swamp land for sale.

Back
Top Bottom