Hickey is a bad GM | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hickey is a bad GM

I guess you have reading comprehension problems because I went over all your counter arguments already...

At this point, Hickey only acquired one bonafide stud: Landry. The rest have for the most part been average or invisible. Outside of James, the other players haven't contributed at all, and the OL players he acquired (which are dire needs) have been liabilities either to poor play or to injury, and he saw fit to ignore many large holes this year.

Who knows about Parker and Ajayi: they could be studs, but they already have massive injury concerns that wiped out a large chunk of their rookie seasons. You know who also had a penchant for drafting already injured players? Ireland.

Hickey's FA classes have sucked, outside of Albert whose injury tanked 2 seasons already. He had NO viable contingency in place to protect against an injury prone player's inevitable injury. That's just bad roster management. His other big pickups that year also got limited play due to injury because they were injury prone.

As much DESERVED grief Ireland gets around here, he ALSO managed to draft some solid players here and there and one bonafide stud in Reshad Jones. As mentioned earlier, most of the star players on this roster were acquired by Ireland, including Wake, Pouncey, Grimes and Jones. (Although it is completely fair to pin a good deal of blame for our current sorry roster on Ireland for the disastrous 2013 offseason)

But all in all, Hickey hasn't shown that much more than Ireland did. People tend to forget that 2 years in Ireland's drafts looked pretty damn good too. It was only after a few years that those drafts turned out to be fools gold. I'm seeing pretty much the same with Hickey's drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of short term memory....you must have it concerning Dolphin draft history...because so far....and I say that with the caveat that its still early, and final grades are still impossible at this point...Hickey's drafts look better than Dolphin drafts have in a long time.

Nobody hits on all their picks. Anybody who thinks different is just wrong.

I consider a good draft one where you hit on your 1st & 2nd round picks....and get some potential and contribution from some later picks.

To me....it looks like Hickey has done that...we have fallen well short of that in most of Dolphin history.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water...Hickey was saddled with working with Philbin...who failed to utilize Parker...who clearly has shown he can play. Phillips has shown he can play. And...the young Kenny Stills is our 3rd rounder.

Speaking of short term memory....you must have it concerning Dolphin draft history...because so far....and I say that with the caveat that its still early, and final grades are still impossible at this point...Hickey's drafts look better than Dolphin drafts have in a long time.

Nobody hits on all their picks. Anybody who thinks different is just wrong.

I consider a good draft one where you hit on your 1st & 2nd round picks....and get some potential and contribution from some later picks.

To me....it looks like Hickey has done that...we have fallen well short of that in most of Dolphin history.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water...Hickey was saddled with working with Philbin...who failed to utilize Parker...who clearly has shown he can play. Phillips has shown he can play. And...the young Kenny Stills is our 3rd rounder.

2 years into his job as GM, Ireland's first 2 drafts looked great:

Long was a stud, Henne had "potential" and was taking over as starter. Merling and Langford were big contributors, Donald Thomas was a starter (though not great) and Davone Bess was an undrafted fan favorite.

In 2009: many thought Vontae and Sean Smith were the next Pat and Sam (they did turn out to have solid careers with other teams), Hartline was a solid contributor and there was contributions from Chris Clemkns and Gardner out of that draft. He also got solid kicker and punter undrafted. A year removed, the only real stinker was Pat White, and people were still enamored with wildcat when he was drafted.

It was only several years later that these drafts were proven to be fools gold. At this point in time during Ireland's tenure, his perception was close to Hickey's: he had 2 seemingly solid drafts, much better than previous regimes.

My pojnt in all this is that many of Hickey's seemingly good picks could turn out to be garbage down the road, and right now he really only has 2-3 picks that you could consider good.

2 years into his job as GM, Ireland's first 2 drafts looked great:

Long was a stud, Henne had "potential" and was taking over as starter. Merling and Langford were big contributors, Donald Thomas was a starter (though not great) and Davone Bess was an undrafted fan favorite.

In 2009: many thought Vontae and Sean Smith were the next Pat and Sam (they did turn out to have solid careers with other teams), Hartline was a solid contributor and there was contributions from Chris Clemkns and Gardner out of that draft. He also got solid kicker and punter undrafted. A year removed, the only real stinker was Pat White, and people were still enamored with wildcat when he was drafted.

It was only several years later that these drafts were proven to be fools gold. At this point in time during Ireland's tenure, his perception was close to Hickey's: he had 2 seemingly solid drafts, much better than previous regimes.

My pojnt in all this is that many of Hickey's seemingly good picks could turn out to be garbage down the road, and right now he really only has 2-3 picks that you could consider good.

Lets be honest, those first two years were Bill Parcells drafts. 2010 we transitioned more Ireland and his first move was to pass on Earl Thomas to pick up a draft pick and grab Odrick/Misi. Every time Walt Aikens takes a bad angle i say **** Ireland . . . And he didnt even draft him.

Lets be honest, those first two years were Bill Parcells drafts. 2010 we transitioned more Ireland and his first move was to pass on Earl Thomas to pick up a draft pick and grab Odrick/Misi. Every time Walt Aikens takes a bad angle i say **** Ireland . . . And he didnt even draft him.

Perhaps, but who knows for sure? I guess it's the same with Hickey and Tannenbaum now. Damn Ross and his convoluted org charts! No one can be held accountable because no one knows who is responsible for what, not even Ross!

Peeps seem to forget we DOMINATED R5 this past draft!

This board is just a big reflection of our franchise. Totally confused and divided right in half. Nobody knows what's really going on or who's responsible for what. That would be great if we were trying to throw off the germans in WW2 but in the NFL is doesn't work. We don't know for sure if ireland or tuna was making the picks....if that wasn't bad enough that is truly FUBAR.....what's the one constant? Ross...smfh

Ozzy rules

This is not only insightful but also made me literally laugh out loud.

Back
Top Bottom